Question about Generic Expiration Timer

FarAwaY

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
Okay so whenever I do triggered spells I've always been wondering one question.

Since we all know having too many units in the map will cause lag, then whats the difference between

-Add a 10 second generic expiration timer to unit.
and
-Going to object editor, set the life regeneration per second to -1, and its health to how many seconds you want the dummy unit to last.

I've always been doing the latter (because the former takes up one trigger line and I just prefer less trigger lines used as possible) but lately I've been wondering. Does it clear up leaks? Not only is it used for the "removal of the dummy" but theoretically, the unit, by this method, will still remain on the map wont it?

So my question is, which is better? Im using it for triggered spells so these dummy units are meant to be a one-time use. And while you're at it, if you would like to help explain some of the other expiration timers (animate dead, force of nature, etc.) it would help too. +rep.

Xorifelse

I'd love to elaborate about discussions...........
Reaction score
A very good point, however the generic expiration timer gives certain flexibility advantages over hard coding it into the wc3 engine. Perhaps you need for a specific spell a dummy unit longer alive then just a few seconds. Which pretty much answers that question. However I wouldn't be surprised if setting the life regeneration to -1 be faster then adding the ability's.
For cleaning up leaks, well no, shouldn't be any different.

The other timers, well .. I don't really know for sure but I think it has to do with the way it looks in GUI and act in game. For example morphing a unit transfers the unit back when the timer expires, where other types kill the unit. Where animate dead revives a dead unit and kills it when it's expired, etc..

Moridin

Snow Leopard
Reaction score
Personally I use expiration timers so I can use on generic dummy for all my spells/etc without having to create dozens of different dummies with different health and negative regen.

Expiration timers offer flexibility.

FarAwaY

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
Ahh thanks for the helpful insight everyone. +rep to themis for answering all my questions, especially for the most important - whether it cleans up leaks as well.

Good to know both achieves the same purpose, but one offers a greater level of flexibility.

Joccaren

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Expiration timers can also be paused, adding even more flexibility.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.