Quick Spell Help

avalya

Reaction score
Okey, I'm using the GDD system in my map, and trying to create an ability that stores up 1 charge per hit, with 4 charges it shows a special effect (it's an ability) on the caster's weapon and on 5 charges it releases, dealing damage and slowing, I got it all worked out except for it to trigger on each attack, help please?

Tyrulan

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
You should download Jesus4Lyf's Damage system so you can detect when a unit is attacked.

EdiT: Or when a unit takes damage.

avalya

Reaction score
I'm using GUI, is that so easily configurable? Just asking. Also I don't got NewGen WE and I believe his system is for that.

Weep

Godspeed to the sound of the pounding
Reaction score
EdiT: Or when a unit takes damage.
That's what GDD is for. :)

Unless you want to trigger all spell damage in your map, a reasonable way to detect damage only from attacks is to give the unit some buff-placing ability like Slow Poison, and checking for the buff:
Trigger:
  • Charge up Event
    • Events
      • Game - GDD_Event becomes Equal to 0.00
    • Conditions
      • Or - Any (Conditions) are true
        • Conditions
          • (GDD_DamagedUnit has buff Slow Poison (Non-stacking)) Equal to True
          • (GDD_DamagedUnit has buff Slow Poison (Stacking)) Equal to True
    • Actions
      • Unit - Remove Slow Poison (Non-stacking) buff from GDD_DamagedUnit
      • Unit - Remove Slow Poison (Stacking) buff from GDD_DamagedUnit
      • -------- Actions to follow --------
(except you'd probably want to use a custom buff, not the actual Slow Poison buff.)

Keep in mind that this will interfere with other non-triggered orb effects, and critical strike/bash will interfere with this.

avalya

Reaction score
I'm probably going to trigger all the spell damage so, I guess that doesn't matter, but thanks. +Rep if I can give you. :p

But Slow Poison is not an orb effect, just a buff placer, right? Most orb effects do actually stack with buff placers, except for corruption and feedback (on top of my head).

Weep

Reaction score
I don't really know. The general rule is no two orb effects will work together and no more than 1 buff can be placed at a time, but I know that when crit strike procs, no buffs can be applied either. (This was the bane of one hero I made a while ago. :p)

If you're going to trigger all spell damage, you can probably use a condition like GDD_Damage is Greater than 0.00 and SpellDamage is Equal to False, where SpellDamage would be a boolean variable that you set before you trigger spell damage and set to false afterward.

avalya

Reaction score
Hmm not working, the buff is not removed when I attack so the problem lies somewhere within the DD trigger or the setup one, this is what my GDD Variable Creator trigger looks like, is it correct or do I need to change anything?
Trigger:
  • GDD Variable Creator
    • Events
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Set GDD_Damage = 0.00
      • Set GDD_Event = 0.00
      • Set GDD_DamagedUnit = No unit
      • Set GDD_DamageSource = No unit
      • Set GDD__Integers[0] = 0
      • Set GDD__TriggerArray[0] = (This trigger)
      • Set GDD__UnitArray[0] = No unit
      • Set GDD__LeftMapGroup = GDD__LeftMapGroup

And my DD one,
Trigger:
  • Mjolnir Damage
    • Events
      • Game - GDD_Damage becomes Equal to 0.00
    • Conditions
      • Or - Any (Conditions) are true
        • Conditions
          • (GDD_DamagedUnit has buff Mjolnir (First)) Equal to True
          • (GDD_DamagedUnit has buff Mjolnir (Second)) Equal to True
    • Actions
      • Set mjolnir_count = (mjolnir_count + 1.00)
      • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
        • If - Conditions
          • mjolnir_count Greater than or equal to 5.00
        • Then - Actions
          • Set mjolnir_level = (Level of Mjolnir for GDD_DamageSource)
          • Set temp_point = (Position of GDD_DamagedUnit)
          • Unit - Cause GDD_DamageSource to damage GDD_DamagedUnit, dealing (30.00 + (30.00 x (Real(mjolnir_level)))) damage of attack type Spells and damage type Normal
          • Unit - Remove Mjolnir (Show) from GDD_DamageSource
          • Special Effect - Create a special effect attached to the origin of GDD_DamagedUnit using Abilities\Weapons\Bolt\BoltImpact.mdl
          • Special Effect - Destroy (Last created special effect)
          • Unit - Create 1 Dummy for (Owner of GDD_DamageSource) at temp_point facing Default building facing degrees
          • Unit - Add a 0.75 second Generic expiration timer to (Last created unit)
          • Unit - Add Mjolnir (Slow) to (Last created unit)
          • Unit - Order (Last created unit) to Human Sorceress - Slow GDD_DamagedUnit
          • Set mjolnir_count = 0.00
          • Set mjolnir_level = 0
          • Custom script: call RemoveLocation (udg_temp_point)
        • Else - Actions
          • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
            • If - Conditions
              • mjolnir_count Equal to 4.00
            • Then - Actions
              • Unit - Add Mjolnir (Show) to GDD_DamageSource
            • Else - Actions
      • Unit - Remove Mjolnir (First) buff from GDD_DamagedUnit
      • Unit - Remove Mjolnir (Second) buff from GDD_DamagedUnit

Weep

Reaction score
this is what my GDD Variable Creator trigger looks like, is it correct or do I need to change anything?
Oh, that's fine - it doesn't actually do anything in-game. It's just there so that the World Editor will automatically create the variables when you paste the GDD trigger category in. :p

And my DD one,
I suspect you're causing an infinite loop when it triggers, because you're dealing damage again without either turning off the trigger or invalidating the conditions. Try moving the two lines to remove the buff to the beginning of the trigger and see if that fixes it (that way the buffs will be removed before the additional damage so the trigger won't re-run itself)...

avalya

Reaction score
Hmm, I've tried that as well, still doesn't work.

EDIT: Just noticed big time fail, used GDD_Damage and not GDD_Event. ;)

avalya

Reaction score
Yeah, works perfectly, will rep you when I can (gave you not so long ago). :)

Edit: Love your new avatar, and the 1.24c patch! :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up WildTurkey?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Looks like Google fixed whatever mistake that made the recipes on the site go crazy and we are no longer trending towards a recipe site lol - I don't care though because it motivated me to spend alot of time on the site improving it and at least now the content people are looking at is not stupid and embarrassing like it was when I first got back into this like 5 years ago.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Plus - I have a pretty bad ass recipe collection now! That section of the site is 10 thousand times better than it was before
  • The Helper The Helper:
    We now have a web designer at my job. A legit talented professional! I am going to get him to redesign the site theme. It is time.
  • Varine Varine:
    I got one more day of community service and then I'm free from this nonsense! I polished a cop car today for a funeral or something I guess
  • Varine Varine:
    They also were digging threw old shit at the sheriff's office and I tried to get them to give me the old electronic stuff, but they said no. They can't give it to people because they might use it to impersonate a cop or break into their network or some shit? idk but it was a shame to see them take a whole bunch of radios and shit to get shredded and landfilled
  • The Helper The Helper:
    whatever at least you are free
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How are you all? :D
    +1
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Howdy
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.