RAID Setup & OS Q's

MnkyOf[-]ate

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
Just purchased 2x 500gb seagate hard drives, and was planning on assembling them in RAID 0.

I also have a 320GB drive and a 200GB drive, was wondering if its possible to have the 2 new 500GB drives in a raid 0 setup to improve performance, and somehow use 1 of the other drives as a backup in case one of the 500gb drives bites the dust? or would I need a total of 4 identical drives for that?

I have an ASUS M3A motherboard, it supports RAID 0, RAID 1, and RAID 0+1

Also, I was thinking of installing Vista Ultimate... Do I need a floppy drive for the raid drivers or can I burn a CD-R with the drivers on it?

Currently running Win XP pro x64 on an AMD 6000 x64 processor with 4gb of ram... Finding drivers was really tough, and I have alot of compatability issues with stuff. is Vista Ultimate any better? or should I look at a different OS?

Thanks in advanced and sorry if the questions are noobish, been a few years since I messed with this stuff and all the hardware has change quite a bit over the years.

a single 200gb drive I bought cost $200 1-2 years ago.. but the 2 new 500gb drives I just got cost me $150 shipped for both.. talk about depreciation...

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score
Well, for RAID you need identical HDs. You can't shove the lower storage drives into the raid config plus you don't have RAID 5 available to you.
My first idea would be to get a similar mobo that supports RAID 5 and get another 500 gig, RAID 5 works with 3 drives plus and can stand the failure of one HD.
As for installing the RAID drivers themselves, I'm not completely sure. I would have a floppy drive ready in case of the need for it but a thumb drive or CD may work.
:thup:

Rapmaster

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Vista setup lets you install RAID drivers from floppy, CD ROM or USB flash memory keys. There's a good chance it will already have the drivers built in anyway- at least enough to get you through setup and then you can upgrade them the normal way.

MnkyOf[-]ate

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
Thanks!

I do not have a floppy drive, which is why I was asking if I would really need it. Chances are I would never use it again after windows setup anyway.

I'll give the flash drive or CD-ROM a try; and as far as the RAID 5 I'll probably just wait a bit and see how it runs with just 2 drives in RAID 0. Anything of importance I can just put on one of my other drive for now.

If 1 drive dies I won't be terribly upset anyway. :)

MnkyOf[-]ate

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
Argh, ok now trying to set this up and got some issues.

going for performance (not os much gaming but alot of large file xfers and dvd conversion stuff)

so, im thinking 64k striping instead of 128k, disable "Gigabyte Boundary", and disable "Fast Init".

If I have the 2 drives on SATA CON 1 and 3 on the motherboard, and go into the raid setup I want to have both drives setup as raid 0 in LD-1 right? so one drive will be 1-1 and the other 1-2.

Now, I changed my mind about vista and went with XP pro x64. Only problem being, I don't have a floppy drive and you need to have one to get xp to install... so I used N-Lite and am trying to incorporate the raid drivers into windows install, but need to know which drivers to use.

I created a virtual floppy drive, and using the asus utility created a RAID driver disk. I have 4 dirvers files to pick from.

x86 I386
x86 AMD64
x64 I386
x64 AMD 64

so.. due to the fact this is a x64 installation i want probably the amd64 x64 driver right? and are my settings good in terms of performance for large data xfer?

MnkyOf[-]ate

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
solved my problem!

while using N-Lite the drivers HAVE to be text and not PNP, otherwise they will not load during the windows setup process... made alot of CD coasters before learning that, hopefully it will help someone else in the same situation :)

MnkyOf[-]ate

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
Well.. one of my drives crapped out today :(

came home and my computer was running CHKDSK with a crapload of bad sectors, tried to recover it but its toast.

So... RAID 0 kinda sucks cause there is no way to recover data. Didnt notice a huge Difference in performance with raid 0 anyway... so if I get another 2 500gb drives is it possible to set them up in such a way that 1 of the drives is a backup / parity and the 3rd one is an addition striping drive ?

SerraAvenger

Cuz I can
Reaction score
Well, for RAID you need identical HDs. You can't shove the lower storage drives into the raid config plus you don't have RAID 5 available to you.
My first idea would be to get a similar mobo that supports RAID 5 and get another 500 gig, RAID 5 works with 3 drives plus and can stand the failure of one HD.
As for installing the RAID drivers themselves, I'm not completely sure. I would have a floppy drive ready in case of the need for it but a thumb drive or CD may work.
:thup:
6 Drives. Not 3.
For 2 HDs I recommend mirroring. I have a few friends how used RAID 0 and lost all their sensitive data becouse one of them HDs broke. Unless you have some online / dvd backup service, don't do it.

EDIT: Now that I read the last 3 posts: sigh. I knew it would happen -_-

For 4 Disks, use RAID 10. Get a Mainboard that supports it. If you can't, use the 0+1 RAID your Motherboard supports.
If you just have 3 disks, use RAID 0+1. I'ld recommend R10 though.

Best wishes, Davey

Exfiltrate

Reaction score
If you get two more identical drives your can use raid 10 (1+0) Which will use raid 0 for speed and raid 1 for data redundancy. This would be a good option, although if you don't need that much space I would just do raid 1.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • WildTurkey WildTurkey:
    is there a stephen green in the house?
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up WildTurkey?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Looks like Google fixed whatever mistake that made the recipes on the site go crazy and we are no longer trending towards a recipe site lol - I don't care though because it motivated me to spend alot of time on the site improving it and at least now the content people are looking at is not stupid and embarrassing like it was when I first got back into this like 5 years ago.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Plus - I have a pretty bad ass recipe collection now! That section of the site is 10 thousand times better than it was before
  • The Helper The Helper:
    We now have a web designer at my job. A legit talented professional! I am going to get him to redesign the site theme. It is time.
  • Varine Varine:
    I got one more day of community service and then I'm free from this nonsense! I polished a cop car today for a funeral or something I guess
  • Varine Varine:
    They also were digging threw old shit at the sheriff's office and I tried to get them to give me the old electronic stuff, but they said no. They can't give it to people because they might use it to impersonate a cop or break into their network or some shit? idk but it was a shame to see them take a whole bunch of radios and shit to get shredded and landfilled
  • The Helper The Helper:
    whatever at least you are free
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How are you all? :D
    +1
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Howdy
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.