Satellite or dial-up?

G

Guide_2_Life

Hi there, I connect to the internet using a 56k modem because I live in a rural area and the companies are too lazy to extend their lines just a couple miles further. Anyways..

I have recently been looking into Satellite internet. The plan I am viewing can reach speeds of up to 512 KB/s. I pay about 10 dollars a month for my dial-up, while Satellite internet will cost me about 50-60 dollars a month not including equipment. While I think I can probably afford it, I just wanted to get your opinions on whether or not you think its worth it. Keep in mind also that there is a limit to what you can download per month, the package I'm looking at seems to be a 7,500 MB download, 2,300 MB Upload. By the way this is the provider I was looking at if you want more information: http://www.wildblue.com/

Here are a few questions I was wondering if you could answer for me:

1) Is it worth paying the extra ~$50 dollars a month for the Satellite connection?

2) How reliable is the Satellite connection? How often does it go out during storms and such? (The site claims its very reliable, but we all know how people talk when trying to sell a product or service...) :)

3) Since there will probably be an increase in latency with information being shipped to the satellite then down to my computer, will playing online games still be possible? The only game I really play is Guild Wars, would I be able to play that without lag?

4) Does the provider I showed you seem to be a good one? Do you have any recommendations as to a better provider? Do you know of any providers that do not have a set limit on the amount you can download?

Thanks for your time, its much appreciated.

G

Guide_2_Life

Yep. Its to enforce their "Fair Access Policy" :nuts:

n[u]ll

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
The 7,300 and 2,3000 isn't your speed, it's the "threshold". If you notice, on the page that word is starred (*). And below it says this:
*A "threshold" is the amount of data that you can upload or download in a 30-day period before WildBlue's Fair Access Policy may reduce your speeds. Typically these thresholds affect less than 3% of our customers and help ensure optimum performance for all WildBlue customers.

Well I read up, and it seems like they're reliable, though they're a pretty new brand (formed in 2005).

None of today's satellite plans are going to be extremely fast. For online games you'll get a bit frustrated, because the ping on satellites tends to be between 900-1200ms. Whereas, a standard ping from cable or dsl would be about 30-60ms.

But for web browsing you'll be fine.

Weather is another thing, when I had satellite for my television, it seemed like every time a storm rolled in, we'd be down the whole way through. But at my friends house, he was up 24/7, he had the same company too. So I really don't know if the weather will affect you.

If you've got a big budget, go with the pro pack. If you don't select is then the best choice, trust me value pack is about as good as dial-up.

G

Guide_2_Life

Ah yes I was aware that the 7300 and the 2300 was your limit and not the speed. I must have been a bit vague in the OP. Thank you for your input on the latency and weather conditions.

Ghan

Administrator - Servers are fun
Staff member
Reaction score
> Is it worth paying the extra ~$50 dollars a month for the Satellite connection?

Depends on how much you use the internet. Trying to download pictures? You need it already.
Looking up Wikipedia articles? You can probably suffer along....

> How reliable is the Satellite connection?

It depends on how well they point the satellite. If it's in virtually perfect alignment, you won't be down much. If it's off by 10 degrees, well....

> will playing online games still be possible?

Most likely. But you'll probably hate it, and the people playing in the same game will hate you....

> Guild Wars

You could probably play that one with a minimum of getting yelled at by other players, but you might be finding that you got killed by some monster before you even knew the game had a monster.

> Does the provider I showed you seem to be a good one?

Seems to get generally good reviews.

> Do you have any recommendations as to a better provider?

Seeing as you can't get a "normal" internet connection, no.

> Do you know of any providers that do not have a set limit on the amount you can download?

Hmm.... You might be able to find one. I don't know of one. I do know that HughesNet limits it day-to-day, though. I don't know the specs, however.

xxxtrickyxxx

(o Y o)
Reaction score
oh mah gawd, 7gb per month? i would break the bandwidth limit in about a day, i use about 100gb per month.

Rad

Reaction score
7gb could work out. Just limit yourself for downloading demos or game patches. Most game patches are under 200mb. Youtube videos are usually between 10-30mb.

You could download about 350 youtube videos before hitting the cap. You probably wouldn't be able to watch half that on Dial up.

I would consider taking the next step up though, to really get your money worth.

Are you on this map? Clearwire is the only wireless ISP I know of. I don't know much about them though.

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
Satellite internet connection should be your last resort.
Is 56k working out fine for you? If yes, the only reason to switch would be the extra speed which, as Ghan pointed out, might not be needed depending on what you use the internet for, especially considering you'll be paying 5 times as much + the equipment. 56k is completely sufficient for surfing BTW.

As for games...don't expect them to work (to the "playable" extent at least). Satellite internet is simply known to work badly with games because of the large delay. Even with a good ISP, it probably would not outperform 56k when it comes to gaming.

darth-yoda

Reaction score
I use WildBlue's satellite internet and there are some things you should know.

1. Installation will be in the 200~300$ price range.
2. I get a ping of around 1500ms, sometimes up to 2000ms. You can not play games over the internet at those speeds.
3. My "plan" claims I can get speeds in the 200KB/s range, but I've never gotten faster than 130KB/s
4. In bad weather you will lose your internet. It can be very frustrating.

Something else to note, you will not receive any kind of warning if you draw near or exceed your DL limit. They simply cut your DL speed down, way down, to around 10~25KB/s.

WildBlue's customers service is actually pretty good though if your having any problems and can arrive pretty quickly is you need repairs or something.

Is satellite worth the hefty price tag? No. But for people like you or me, we have little other choice. I had to get it because I started college last year and dial-up wasn't up to the challenge. Only get satellite if you really need the extra DL speed and don't mind losing the ability to play games online

what ping does dial up usally get on games? Just curious.
mine was between 150 and 210ms.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
    +1
  • Varine Varine:
    Crazy how much 3d printing has come in the last few years. Sad that it's not as easily modifiable though
  • Varine Varine:
    I bought an Ender 3 during the pandemic and tinkered with it all the time. Just bought a Sovol, not as easy. I'm trying to make it use a different nozzle because I have a fuck ton of Volcanos, and they use what is basically a modified volcano that is just a smidge longer, and almost every part on this thing needs to be redone to make it work
  • Varine Varine:
    Luckily I have a 3d printer for that, I guess. But it's ridiculous. The regular volcanos are 21mm, these Sovol versions are about 23.5mm
  • Varine Varine:
    So, 2.5mm longer. But the thing that measures the bed is about 1.5mm above the nozzle, so if I swap it with a volcano then I'm 1mm behind it. So cool, new bracket to swap that, but THEN the fan shroud to direct air at the part is ALSO going to be .5mm to low, and so I need to redo that, but by doing that it is a little bit off where it should be blowing and it's throwing it at the heating block instead of the part, and fuck man
  • Varine Varine:
    I didn't realize they designed this entire thing to NOT be modded. I would have just got a fucking Bambu if I knew that, the whole point was I could fuck with this. And no one else makes shit for Sovol so I have to go through them, and they have... interesting pricing models. So I have a new extruder altogether that I'm taking apart and going to just design a whole new one to use my nozzles. Dumb design.
  • Varine Varine:
    Can't just buy a new heatblock, you need to get a whole hotend - so block, heater cartridge, thermistor, heatbreak, and nozzle. And they put this fucking paste in there so I can't take the thermistor or cartridge out with any ease, that's 30 dollars. Or you can get the whole extrudor with the direct driver AND that heatblock for like 50, but you still can't get any of it to come apart
  • Varine Varine:
    Partsbuilt has individual parts I found but they're expensive. I think I can get bits swapped around and make this work with generic shit though
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Heard Houston got hit pretty bad by storms last night. Hope all is well with TH.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Power back on finally - all is good here no damage
    +2
  • V-SNES V-SNES:
    Happy Friday!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New recipe is another summer dessert Berry and Peach Cheesecake - https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-berry-and-peach-cheesecake.194169/

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.