sc wavs in ums help

G

Does anyone know how you can make StarEdit import the .wav files that are already in StarCraft? Like, if I say wanted the Terran computer to play a sound, is there a way i could do that without actually extracting the .wav file from the mpq and importing it? Extracting the .wav file adds a lot of size to the map file. I want it to be like, when you are playing the map, the sound file plays from the .mpq location and not from a .wav file that you had to import, therefore adding no extra space. I read somewhere you can do this with StarEdit 4.0 and SEE (whatever that is), but i dont have either of those. Thnks for any help.

S

Swilo

He didn't want to actually import the sound file itself, as it would add size to the map file.
He just wants to have a pointer to a file that's already in the MPQ file, so the map doesn't need to include the sound (since starcraft already comes with it)

K

KiLLeR-CrAzY

ive heard that you can add wav. files without making space but it was hard and i dont remember:(

G

Hmmm, thats pretty confusing. What is StarEdit Enhancer? And where can I get StarEdit 1.04...would that require me to downgrade my SC to 1.04? I have StarDraft but it says:
"Open your map with the patched SE. Open the Sound Importer, and then enable the StarEdit Enhancer (via clicking on the button in the Stardraft Control Center widow).
Set the import path in the StarEdit Enhancer so it matches the path of the path of the sound in the MPQ you want. I.E.,"

Thats where i get lost. It says enable the S.E.E. via clicking the button on the StarDraft Control Center window....whats that? Whats S E E? Thanks again for any additional help!

Ilendil

Most Respected Former Admin
Reaction score
You don't need to use it... and you don't need to downgrade SC to 1.04, it says 1.04 or later. Otherwise, the S E E thing your talking about shows up after the Stardraft Editor comes up... it is behind the editor somewhere.

G

I now understand what S E E is. However, it isnt included with the version that is provided on the site despite the article stating so. I was using Platinum Aspect Patcher and noticed the black mini screen in the background running labeled "Special Features: StarEdit Enhancer." I clicked enable and it gave me the following error message: "Error StarEdit v1.04 must be running. This will not work with StarCraft." So I guess this means I do need to downgrade my StarEdit. The feature apparently lets you import any type of file through sound importer. Is there a way to temporarily downgrade JUST StarEdit? I play a lot on b.net so I really dont want to downgrade my StarCraft. Thanks again for any help!

Ilendil

Most Respected Former Admin
Reaction score
I think the regular Staredit is v1.04... and your saying your using the modified editor, so its not v1.04, you can try using the regular Staredit.

G

The version of StarEdit im using isnt 1.04. Apparently 1.04 is the one that comes on the BroodWar cd. I found the following stuff on the net about this:

(from custom cc)
. Save the CHK file and import it into your map with the StarEdit Enhancer. I have heard that this does not work on anything above Staredit 1.04. The solution to this is to use Staredit 1.04. I reinstalled Brood War, made a copy of Staredit, and then upgraded it back to whatever version it is now. I have heard that there is some easier way to get Staredit 1.04, but I didn't need it, so I didn't bother to remember it. After importing it into the map, close Staredit and play the map in Starcraft

And there is a faq about it here: http://slaimus.virtualave.net/faq.html

I am still lost. w/o SEE it isnt gonna work, and i cant get SEE to work.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.