Should I continue?

Zack1996

Working on a Map
Reaction score
I don't know if I am posting this in the correct forum but I am just asking a simple question:
I have recently done some icon recolours (below) and was wondering if I should continue making icons. A quick yes/no answer would do, but it would be great if you could give some feedback :p
BTNSteelMelee.jpgSome Holy Sword thing.
BTNBrilliance.jpgSome Demonic Staff thing.
BTNSteelRanged.jpgA kunai thing.

Thank you! :)
PS: If you want the icon, I could give it to you.

perkeyone

something clever
Reaction score
recolors are fun and useful but i dont think they are considered difficult

if someone is requesting a recolored icon, and they are unable or dont know how to make it for themselves, then by all means go ahead and help them out.

other than that, youll have to start doing some more serious edits and even try making stuff from scratch.

Zack1996

Working on a Map
Reaction score
I see, I never really expected to post this up anywhere, just for the fun of making them.
Anyway, I have considered doing icons from scratch but I have to learn more about how to do that first. Thanks for replying :) +rep!

Zwiebelchen

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
I think its looks average up to good, but why dont you try to model or skin instead of making icons? I mean; if anyone needs an icon, he browses the existing ressources of various sites such as hiveworkshop or wc3c ... there are millions of icons already made.
However, the resources of good models and skins is very limited.

Zack1996

Working on a Map
Reaction score
I do make models (sometimes) but I disliked making skins because of how troublesome it is to make shading and all. I might try it again if I feel up to it.
Thanks for the support guys, I really appreciate it :)
Also, just so you know, I do triggers, models, icons (simple recolours and stuff) and practically everything else for Warcraft Modding. The problem is I don't excel at any of those (except maybe triggers) :S.

Whitesock

Graphics Help Zone Moderator
Reaction score
I would recommend continuing it if you enjoy it (which it seems like you do) and just trying out new methods and styles for making freehand art on the computer.

I would recommend learning more about computer drawing if you want to get more into original work and making your own icons and skins.

If you want some direction on tutorials and such I can help you out there. Just PM me or post here.

undeadorcjerk

The Ulitimate TheHelper.net Lurker
Reaction score
I like the recolors. I had to think hard one what the first two were originally, and i'm not sure I know exactly what the second is. The third one looks like a new icon to me. But I haven't touched wc3 in ages. Your not doing anything wrong and recolors are good practice using a photoediting program.

BANANAMAN

Resident Star Battle Expert.
Reaction score
recolors are a good way to practice..Nice recolor of the Broadsword and Brilliance aura icons but maybe improve on the black arrow one.

Zack1996

Working on a Map
Reaction score
The third one is like a Kunai from Naruto.
I might consider doing other icons when I have the time, thanks for the support :)

jonadrian619

-___-
Reaction score
For a recolor, they look decent. Practice a little bit more.. Hmm.. try recoloring more complex icons like entangling roots. Or maybe try this: splicing the parts of various icons into one. Like, I put the Orb of Fire on top of the staff in Brilliance Aura to form some kind of a fire staff, or putting Entangling Roots on a Helmet so it would look like the Helmet is being covered by roots. I've seen this technique used in The Hive Workshop, and it works like a charm. Practice, then when you've got the hang of it, you can start making icons from scratch. For now, keep it up!

-- Umaku iku yō ni -|- jonadrian619 --​

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Howdy
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
    +1
  • Varine Varine:
    Crazy how much 3d printing has come in the last few years. Sad that it's not as easily modifiable though
  • Varine Varine:
    I bought an Ender 3 during the pandemic and tinkered with it all the time. Just bought a Sovol, not as easy. I'm trying to make it use a different nozzle because I have a fuck ton of Volcanos, and they use what is basically a modified volcano that is just a smidge longer, and almost every part on this thing needs to be redone to make it work
  • Varine Varine:
    Luckily I have a 3d printer for that, I guess. But it's ridiculous. The regular volcanos are 21mm, these Sovol versions are about 23.5mm
  • Varine Varine:
    So, 2.5mm longer. But the thing that measures the bed is about 1.5mm above the nozzle, so if I swap it with a volcano then I'm 1mm behind it. So cool, new bracket to swap that, but THEN the fan shroud to direct air at the part is ALSO going to be .5mm to low, and so I need to redo that, but by doing that it is a little bit off where it should be blowing and it's throwing it at the heating block instead of the part, and fuck man
  • Varine Varine:
    I didn't realize they designed this entire thing to NOT be modded. I would have just got a fucking Bambu if I knew that, the whole point was I could fuck with this. And no one else makes shit for Sovol so I have to go through them, and they have... interesting pricing models. So I have a new extruder altogether that I'm taking apart and going to just design a whole new one to use my nozzles. Dumb design.
  • Varine Varine:
    Can't just buy a new heatblock, you need to get a whole hotend - so block, heater cartridge, thermistor, heatbreak, and nozzle. And they put this fucking paste in there so I can't take the thermistor or cartridge out with any ease, that's 30 dollars. Or you can get the whole extrudor with the direct driver AND that heatblock for like 50, but you still can't get any of it to come apart
  • Varine Varine:
    Partsbuilt has individual parts I found but they're expensive. I think I can get bits swapped around and make this work with generic shit though
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Heard Houston got hit pretty bad by storms last night. Hope all is well with TH.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Power back on finally - all is good here no damage
    +2
  • V-SNES V-SNES:
    Happy Friday!
    +1

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.