Side picture of Ghan_04.

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score

--------------

I did this mainly just to practice on the head and the facial features. I'm not going to shade the clothes, because it's not my main practicing object.

I wondered if the nose is crooked, or the hair isn't natural, or the eyes aren't good enough.

Criticisms are accepted. :D Hopefully, not about the clothes. ;)

EDIT: The black thick lines are there for a reason. I drew this picture on a scale of 1 to 3000 percent. (That means, I magnified the picture up to 3000%, then I drew the picture.)

MisterFrank

Reaction score
Unless there's black highlights in his hair I see no reason for the black outlines, Try using shades of yellow, if his hair is really that yellow.
His ears are pointed. (intentional?)
And his eyebrows are black? You should post the picture you were drawing this from.
The face needs A LOT more detail. Add more shades.
And the sweater is 3 different shades of green? It should be 1 color with darker/lighter shades.
I can't say a lot because I would have to see the actual picture in comparison.
And you should have the picture take up most of the space as well.. there'ss to much white.
And his pupils are popping out of his eyes as well. Instead of having those sketch lines for outlining use one bold line.
My advise is to practice some more and look at others work. Maybe look at some tutorials on youtube.

Hopefully this helps.

Pineapple

Just Smile.
Reaction score
Ghan_04 is an Admin here.

His display picture is Legolas. So yes, Tom's drawing Legolas.

vypur85

Hibernate
Reaction score
Ear and eye are a little bit off. Not much of problem in these though. Still look fine even though they're 'not right'. Most comic artists have different way of drawing something 'wrong' but still look fine.

The only problem is... the long neck.

Some other things that may need more work. Use finer smoother lines and try to reduce sketch mess (lines jutting out stuff).

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
Bad posture. That is all I shall contribute.

A person can have their own posture, :p

:O The shading on the face like under and above his eye, the curve there seems strange to me, but I may be wrong.

You have like 2 primary shading colors, his normal skin tone, and then a darker shadowed one, but then you have another dark yellow that doesn't match well in my opinion, like it contrasts too much, a sudden change in shadow. So maybe either stick with 2, a normal and a dark (and possibly a lighter) shading, for a somewhat cartoonish look, or then use more shades, but then they would need to go slowly and naturally, unless on purpose. o.o

GJ, :thup:

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
Hm...I thought all members recognize Ghan_04...and yes, it's Legolas, I just forgot the name. That's the entire picture right there.

I've been trying to control my hand from trembling, so I had to use a smaller resolution to draw this piece.

And I couldn't try finding how to shade a head correctly. Searching Google tends not to aid me for a good reference.

@Whitesock:

How far back is the eye?

@Thewrongvine:

It's just for practicing the basic shading method, not blurring the lines.

Sooda

Diversity enchants
Reaction score
I even didn't notice eye position, move eye with eyebrow almost where it connects with nose top line. See how it looks, if too close make a small cap between nose line and eyebrow. Eye height is fine.
Again I like it all, black in hair, I think you got talent tom_mai78101. Trust more your inner thought.
If you cache realism, post always reference picture. Currently people are suggesting things to change which fit perfectly to cartoon alike interpretation of Legolas just to get realistic 1:1 photo feel.
If you indented 3 colour shirt, it is fine, why to change it millions of colours? No need, another picture another time.

Whitesock

Graphics Help Zone Moderator
Reaction score
@tom

Kyrle%20Bellew%20portrait%20in%20profile-Photo-B&W-Resized.jpg

Notice how the eyes are much closer to the nose. The ones you have almost touch what would be the ears. :p

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
Not realistic.

I see. But, you wouldn't be expecting realism from a guy who started drawing just after reading a lot of Pokemon mangas. Anyway, I'll do my best to make it more realistic.

Notice how the eyes are much closer to the nose. The ones you have almost touch what would be the ears. :p

Ok...I'll try drawing near the nose. But to be honest, I don't know why the eyes must be drawn close to the nose. The picture you gave me shows a head that's turned 90 degrees away from us. I didn't draw the head to be exactly 90 degrees...:confused:

vypur85

Hibernate
Reaction score
Hope you don't mind. Kinda free now. Made some correction for your reference:

attachment.php

Eyes slightly closer. Ear should be higher to level the eye. Head should be slightly wider. Neck length is reduced.

It looks... 90 degrees view to me.

Attachments

• Person.jpg
    Person.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 310

Whitesock

Graphics Help Zone Moderator
Reaction score
Ok...I'll try drawing near the nose. But to be honest, I don't know why the eyes must be drawn close to the nose. The picture you gave me shows a head that's turned 90 degrees away from us. I didn't draw the head to be exactly 90 degrees...

Because of the angle of the nose and mouth, and the shape of the head, it looks like the head is in profile to me.

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh, I can see it now...that's a good diagram!!

Thanks everyone! :D

tooltiperror

Super Moderator
Reaction score
There`s a sort of realism that comes with Anime and Manga, and you lack it.

You need better shading.

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
There`s a sort of realism that comes with Anime and Manga, and you lack it.

You need better shading.
I know...the differences are very obvious.

But, I prefer manga drawings more than realistic drawings. I love mixing them up.

And no, I must not practice shading until I have mastered the head parts (eyes, hair, mouth, facial expressions, etc.). Shading, to me, is a bit more advanced than drawing the shape of the eyes. Hence I have noted this in my first post.

I do vowed myself to devote my free time drawing and mastering the shading techniques. So, don't you worry a thing from me! ;)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
    +1
  • Varine Varine:
    Crazy how much 3d printing has come in the last few years. Sad that it's not as easily modifiable though
  • Varine Varine:
    I bought an Ender 3 during the pandemic and tinkered with it all the time. Just bought a Sovol, not as easy. I'm trying to make it use a different nozzle because I have a fuck ton of Volcanos, and they use what is basically a modified volcano that is just a smidge longer, and almost every part on this thing needs to be redone to make it work
  • Varine Varine:
    Luckily I have a 3d printer for that, I guess. But it's ridiculous. The regular volcanos are 21mm, these Sovol versions are about 23.5mm
  • Varine Varine:
    So, 2.5mm longer. But the thing that measures the bed is about 1.5mm above the nozzle, so if I swap it with a volcano then I'm 1mm behind it. So cool, new bracket to swap that, but THEN the fan shroud to direct air at the part is ALSO going to be .5mm to low, and so I need to redo that, but by doing that it is a little bit off where it should be blowing and it's throwing it at the heating block instead of the part, and fuck man
  • Varine Varine:
    I didn't realize they designed this entire thing to NOT be modded. I would have just got a fucking Bambu if I knew that, the whole point was I could fuck with this. And no one else makes shit for Sovol so I have to go through them, and they have... interesting pricing models. So I have a new extruder altogether that I'm taking apart and going to just design a whole new one to use my nozzles. Dumb design.
  • Varine Varine:
    Can't just buy a new heatblock, you need to get a whole hotend - so block, heater cartridge, thermistor, heatbreak, and nozzle. And they put this fucking paste in there so I can't take the thermistor or cartridge out with any ease, that's 30 dollars. Or you can get the whole extrudor with the direct driver AND that heatblock for like 50, but you still can't get any of it to come apart
  • Varine Varine:
    Partsbuilt has individual parts I found but they're expensive. I think I can get bits swapped around and make this work with generic shit though
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Heard Houston got hit pretty bad by storms last night. Hope all is well with TH.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Power back on finally - all is good here no damage
    +2
  • V-SNES V-SNES:
    Happy Friday!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New recipe is another summer dessert Berry and Peach Cheesecake - https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-berry-and-peach-cheesecake.194169/

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.