Spell Contest #3 | Theme: Icons | 18.03.09 - 04.04.09

Status
Not open for further replies.

perkeyone

something clever
Reaction score
so generalized systems that can work for other spells are not allowed
all the code must be directly relevant to the spell?

Flare

Stops copies me!
Reaction score
so generalized systems that can work for other spells are not allowed
Generalized systems? Care to give an example? I would call a struct attachment system generalized, but they are allowed. Something more specific might be helpful to make your question/statement(?) a bit clearer

all the code must be directly relevant to the spell?
Well, why would you add code that has nothing to do with the spell? :rolleyes:
If the spell makes use of the code, it should be there
If not, there's no point in having that particular piece of code there, since it's just wasting your own time to create it :p

Builder Bob

Live free or don't
Reaction score
> It just forces us to write some useless code for every spell, when we could just use systems to do those things
It makes things too easy. This way you need to code things yourself, instead of using the "MakeAwesomeSpell()" function.

I would argue that allowing everything would actually up the bar on what is submitted. Not to mention how new coders would get the chance to see more modern open source approaches on how to code spells efficiently. Just having a lot of tools in front of you don't automatically give you the power to build amazing things.

For this contest though, the rules are already set, so we all should just follow them. No reason to argue. I hope there will be an experimental contest where everything is allowed at a later date though.

By the way, this contest's theme is really great! It's fairly open in that we can create whatever we see in the icons. At the same time it's restricting enough to at least expect to see a line of submitted spells that resembles each other in some ways.
I think it's going to get interesting once more submissions come in. Good luck everyone!

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
> I hope there will be an experimental contest where everything is allowed at a later date though.
I'll probably try that soon. We might take a very short break from spells for a while though. :)

> By the way, this contest's theme is really great! It's fairly open in that we can create whatever we see in the icons.
:D

perkeyone

something clever
Reaction score
im not entirely sure myself.
i was asking in the hopes that it would be more thoroughly explained.
haha

~GaLs~

† Ғσſ ŧħə ѕαĸε Φƒ ~Ğ䣚~ †
Reaction score
To clarify, CSData and CSSafety is allowed?

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
> To clarify, CSData and CSSafety is allowed?
Yes. CSData is an attachment system.
And I'd consider CSSafety a snippet.

Viikuna

No Marlo no game.
Reaction score
It makes things too easy.

And still you allow attachment systems, because some nubs dont know how to attach integers to some handles..
Dont you think that makes it too easy?

Damage detection can be made in very few lines. It's hardly a system.

So, its about the lines now? Maybe I just split my systems to hundreds of short snippets? Would that make it all right?

For this contest though, the rules are already set, so we all should just follow them. No reason to argue. I hope there will be an experimental contest where everything is allowed at a later date though.

Yes and No. I tried to argue about this during the last spell contest, and now Im arguing for the next one.

edit. More stuff:
And things such as unit indexing can't really be recreated just for a single spell

Unit indexing is still the best way to attach data to units. PUI does it pretty well, but since wc3 maps use units in very different ways, they usually need their own way to index units.
I think that using some GetUnitIndex wrappers for spells would be the best option, so that users can easily make those spells to use any unit indexing system they wish. ( or just H2I(unit) - MIN_HANDLE_COUNT )

Well, custom attachment systems tend to just be "H2I(h) - 0x100000" anyway
Is this a reason to allow them then? And there is many attachment systems, some of them use H2I with some hash algorithm, some of them use H2I and gamecache.

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
Looks a bit WTF. I will make a spell and If I dicide that it is not crappy I will submit it. :)

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
> And still you allow attachment systems, because some nubs dont know how to attach integers to some handles..
Attachment systems are allowed because some provide functions such as NewTimer or ReleaseTimer, which are pointless to add separately into each spell.
Alos, you'd probably lose marks for using UnitUserData on a target or the caster. But you wouldn't for using PUI.

> So, its about the lines now? Maybe I just split my systems to hundreds of short snippets? Would that make it all right?
It was an example of how simple I think they are. You can't really get any more 'features' on a damage detection than simple damage detecting. You can with attachment systems though.

> Yes and No. I tried to argue about this during the last spell contest, and now Im arguing for the next one.
Well, you're arguing for something that's already going to happen.

> Looks a bit WTF. I will make a spell and If I dicide that it is not crappy I will submit it.
Ok. Good luck.

Builder Bob

Live free or don't
Reaction score
> I hope there will be an experimental contest where everything is allowed at a later date though.
I'll probably try that soon. We might take a very short break from spells for a while though. :)

Looking forward to it!

Until then, this contest is good as well. Wish everyone who's participating good luck! :)

Kazuga

Let the game begin...
Reaction score
Sorry for being a bit of a noob here, but does HAIL count as an attachment system? (Yes I know it's not used a lot out there but hey, it works great for me. :p)

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes, HAIL is an attachment system.

Reaction score
I updated my spell with the changes I wanted to make. Well, I think it should be the last if I don't see some other mistakes in the code...

Viikuna

No Marlo no game.
Reaction score
Attachment systems are allowed because some provide functions such as NewTimer or ReleaseTimer, which are pointless to add separately into each spell.

My point was that it is pointless to add any stuff separately into each spell..
And somehow you see that this only applies to attachment systems, which is not true at all.

It was an example of how simple I think they are. You can't really get any more 'features' on a damage detection than simple damage detecting. You can with attachment systems though.

Rising Dusks system has 300 lines, and it doesnt have any extra features.

( Well I would personaly prefer to have those unit enters playable map area and group all units when game starts -things in different library )

Well, you're arguing for something that's already going to happen.

It is?. Oh nice. Then I guess I gotta stop bitching about this.

And hey sorry about whining this much. I think its really great that you guys host these contests.

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
> Rising Dusks system has 300 lines, and it doesnt have any extra features.
It can apply to any amount of triggers though. And I believe it has things such as RemoveEvent or DisableEvent. I've never checked through the code though.

You'd never need to remove the event in a spell. :)

> And hey sorry about whining this much. I think its really great that you guys host these contests.
No problem. Thanks. :)

Enjoy the unique theme for now everyone. ;)

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
> Hello and I'm back to torture you little maggots!
Welcome back. I'm sure I told you what the theme was before you left. ;)

As for the thread, it's fine. (How was the trip?)

Naga'sShadow

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
I've got a question. As this is the first time I've participated in one of these contests. Can we ask for help either here or in the help threads? I've got most of my spell working but parts of it still don't work for me?

emootootoo

Top Banana
Reaction score
Would it be allowable to have a second ability as a sort of display to show the cooldown of a certain part of the ability? (as in a passive that only appears during parts of the ability to show cooldowns)

Status
Not open for further replies.
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How are you all? :D
    +1
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Howdy
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
  • Varine Varine:
    Crazy how much 3d printing has come in the last few years. Sad that it's not as easily modifiable though
  • Varine Varine:
    I bought an Ender 3 during the pandemic and tinkered with it all the time. Just bought a Sovol, not as easy. I'm trying to make it use a different nozzle because I have a fuck ton of Volcanos, and they use what is basically a modified volcano that is just a smidge longer, and almost every part on this thing needs to be redone to make it work
  • Varine Varine:
    Luckily I have a 3d printer for that, I guess. But it's ridiculous. The regular volcanos are 21mm, these Sovol versions are about 23.5mm
  • Varine Varine:
    So, 2.5mm longer. But the thing that measures the bed is about 1.5mm above the nozzle, so if I swap it with a volcano then I'm 1mm behind it. So cool, new bracket to swap that, but THEN the fan shroud to direct air at the part is ALSO going to be .5mm to low, and so I need to redo that, but by doing that it is a little bit off where it should be blowing and it's throwing it at the heating block instead of the part, and fuck man
  • Varine Varine:
    I didn't realize they designed this entire thing to NOT be modded. I would have just got a fucking Bambu if I knew that, the whole point was I could fuck with this. And no one else makes shit for Sovol so I have to go through them, and they have... interesting pricing models. So I have a new extruder altogether that I'm taking apart and going to just design a whole new one to use my nozzles. Dumb design.
  • Varine Varine:
    Can't just buy a new heatblock, you need to get a whole hotend - so block, heater cartridge, thermistor, heatbreak, and nozzle. And they put this fucking paste in there so I can't take the thermistor or cartridge out with any ease, that's 30 dollars. Or you can get the whole extrudor with the direct driver AND that heatblock for like 50, but you still can't get any of it to come apart
  • Varine Varine:
    Partsbuilt has individual parts I found but they're expensive. I think I can get bits swapped around and make this work with generic shit though

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.