Terrain Contest I - Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Terrain Contest I

Introduction:
I'm well aware that this isn't the first terrain contest at all. In fact, it's far from being the first. But, I'll name it 'I', because it's the first Andrewgosu or I will host.
I decided to host this contest, because I've noticed a lot of the more recent contests have been coding-orientated. So I think I'll give the terrainers a big of fun too now. :D

Sorry about the lack of a logo. My computer is being crapper than usual.

The Theme:
The theme for this terraining contest is Summer. I'm sure (most of you) have realised that summer has come (where most of you live). So this contest should bring the happy, summer atmosphere to the World Editor Help Zone. :D

The piece of terrain must have something to do with summer. This can be anything at all. Villages, landscapes, flowers, etc. As long as it's somehow related to the Summer.​

Information:
To join, simply send me your submission via PM.
Do not post your submission here. Doing so will result in disqualification of the terrain piece.
Also, Do not reveal which one is yours. Doing so will also result in disqualification of the piece.
You can send me WIPs, and I'll periodically post all the WIPs I have, so that people can comment.​

Rules:
  • Your submission must fit in with the theme.
  • Submissions must be in the form of a screenshot
  • One submission per member, one member per submission
  • Do not reveal which terrain is yours
  • Do not submit your terrain here
  • PM me your submission. You can also PM me WIPs, which I will post here. Please specifically state whether or not your submission is WIP.
  • You may change your submissions any amount of times before the deadline.
  • Imports are allowed.
  • Photoshopping is not allowed. Cropping is not included.
  • Be sure to keep a copy of your map. I will contact the winners to make sure their terrains aren't photoshopped or edited.

Grading:
At the deadline, I will create a public poll for members to vote on which terrain they like the most.
More details on the voting will be posted when I create the poll.
For once, I will not have a say in who the winner is. :D

Due Date:
All submissions must be in by Wednesday, 10th June. Midnight (GMT). Any submissions PMed to me after this time will not be accepted.​

If you have any questions, be sure to ask!

Good Luck! :)

WolfieeifloW

WEHZ Helper
Reaction score
This is a nice break from the 'coding' contests.
Even though I suck at terrain I might give this a try :p .

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yay! Another contest :)

I have some ideas for the theme.

>...that summer has come (where most of you live)

Are you refering to England by any chance? :p

>Imports are allowed.

Any limits on this?

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
> This is a nice break from the 'coding' contests.
Indeed

> Even though I suck at terrain I might give this a try :p.
Trying won't hurt. :)

> Yay! Another contest :)
Yeah! :D

> I have some ideas for the theme.
Awesome. =)

> Are you refering to England by any chance?
All of the northern hemisphere.

> Any limits on this?
It's a screenshot anyway.
Though a screenshot of a single high-poly model is unacceptable.
It still has to have Wc3 terrain in it. :p

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
>Though a screenshot of a single high-poly model is unacceptable.
It still has to have Wc3 terrain in it.

Aww, that was most of my ideas :p

iPeez

Hot food far all world wide!
Reaction score
oh... Oh... OH!... OMFG!! YAY! I am SO in. =)

EDIT:

Add rule (you should :p):

* No premade terrains.

BlackRose

Forum User
Reaction score
OMG! I so suggested a terrain contest in that social group! Maybe I might, but I have no ideas for 'summer', except for beach ball at the beach!

Q: How do we send you our submission? A link from sendspace or something to you in private message?

D.V.D

Make a wish
Reaction score
Are we allowed to use old undone screenshots and I mean really undone. Even if the shots were posted on this web?

saw792

Is known to say things. That is all.
Reaction score
I must say I hate the theme. It's really too broad. Normally you would judge a terrain contest based on how well the submission captures the theme, which I think is going to be extremely difficult seeing as you can only terrain events that happen during summer. Or you could just do a giant castle and say it was a summer day. I don't think I explained my issue with the theme too well, maybe somebody else can articulate it better.

Dinowc

don't expect anything, prepare for everything
Reaction score
can we make some rain-themed terrain?
because in my country most of the summer rains :D

summer is not all about the "sun" ;)

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
Well, I am pretty sure I won't submit anything, but I will give it a shot. I have a question though:
"how many screenshots do you have to give?"

WolfieeifloW

WEHZ Helper
Reaction score
3-4mb per submission?
Well, I am pretty sure I won't submit anything, but I will give it a shot. I have a question though:
"how many screenshots do you have to give?"
Do you guys not read :p ?
  • Submissions must be in the form of a screenshot
  • One submission per member, one member per submission
In case that still doesn't clarify it;
BlackRose: It doesn't matter the file size of the screenshot.
Bloodcount: 1 (AFAIK) .

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
> Q: How do we send you our submission? A link from sendspace or something to you in private message?
Photobucket, imageshack, upload it here, etc.

> Are we allowed to use old undone screenshots and I mean really undone. Even if the shots were posted on this web?
No.

> Instead of allowing imports, why not ask the terrainer to use the UTM instead? (Ultimate Terraining Map)
Ermm, why? o_O

> I must say I hate the theme. It's really too broad.
My apologies.

> Or you could just do a giant castle and say it was a summer day.
Would be acceptable, as long as it's very clear that it's summer.

> Maybe you should link this download so people can all have even footing?
No.

Wolfie, if you don't mind, I'll do the answering of Q&As. Feel free to quote the rules and stuff though, if that answers questions. If you're unsure, then don't answer.

Also, just to clarify:
"Imports are Allowed" does not mean "You must use the UTM".
Yes, UTM is allowed.

Good luck everyone. =)

WolfieeifloW

WEHZ Helper
Reaction score
Alrighty;
Only a few of mine weren't straight rules stuff anyways :eek: .

Oh,
Is Andrewgosu even in this with you :p ?
Or is it just you this time ;) ?

EDIT: This still needs a logo,
Even with your "crapper computer" :p .

Status
Not open for further replies.
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How are you all? :D
    +1
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Howdy
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
  • Varine Varine:
    Crazy how much 3d printing has come in the last few years. Sad that it's not as easily modifiable though
  • Varine Varine:
    I bought an Ender 3 during the pandemic and tinkered with it all the time. Just bought a Sovol, not as easy. I'm trying to make it use a different nozzle because I have a fuck ton of Volcanos, and they use what is basically a modified volcano that is just a smidge longer, and almost every part on this thing needs to be redone to make it work
  • Varine Varine:
    Luckily I have a 3d printer for that, I guess. But it's ridiculous. The regular volcanos are 21mm, these Sovol versions are about 23.5mm
  • Varine Varine:
    So, 2.5mm longer. But the thing that measures the bed is about 1.5mm above the nozzle, so if I swap it with a volcano then I'm 1mm behind it. So cool, new bracket to swap that, but THEN the fan shroud to direct air at the part is ALSO going to be .5mm to low, and so I need to redo that, but by doing that it is a little bit off where it should be blowing and it's throwing it at the heating block instead of the part, and fuck man
  • Varine Varine:
    I didn't realize they designed this entire thing to NOT be modded. I would have just got a fucking Bambu if I knew that, the whole point was I could fuck with this. And no one else makes shit for Sovol so I have to go through them, and they have... interesting pricing models. So I have a new extruder altogether that I'm taking apart and going to just design a whole new one to use my nozzles. Dumb design.
  • Varine Varine:
    Can't just buy a new heatblock, you need to get a whole hotend - so block, heater cartridge, thermistor, heatbreak, and nozzle. And they put this fucking paste in there so I can't take the thermistor or cartridge out with any ease, that's 30 dollars. Or you can get the whole extrudor with the direct driver AND that heatblock for like 50, but you still can't get any of it to come apart
  • Varine Varine:
    Partsbuilt has individual parts I found but they're expensive. I think I can get bits swapped around and make this work with generic shit though

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.