The Serpent

U are a noob

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Wrote this for my teacher Ms. Clark. I enjoyed writing it, hopefully you guys will enjoy reading it.

The Serpent
Ripping apart the packaging, blood pumped through my body as I slid the cards in my jacket pocket and stuffed the plastic wrapper in the corner of an aisle, just as my friend and I had been doing for the last two weeks. I was becoming good at this, I thought to myself as I reached for another pack to take. I looked to DJ, my best friend, and I saw him concealing his second wrapper behind the Nerf toys. Within a moment we were walking away with triumph and a sense of accomplishment. The haze produced in the moment of such an act was lifted and it felt as if I was finally able to breathe again. We walked through the aisles of Wal-Mart, as we always did after every victory, when the sly serpent entered my mind. He teased me to do what was forbidden, a second battle, a thought that had frequently crossed my mind but never entered the realm of action. My conscience tried to fend away such actions but greed had overcome me, it was too late, I had bitten the offering. All that was left to do was to offer it to DJ.
“Lets do it again,” I said to him as we neared the end of the fabric aisle.
DJ thought to himself, informing me that my offer was not original, and he too was tempted by the serpent. And that’s when I knew, no response was needed as we head to the card section preparing our sense and hands to do battle, once again.
There we were, as we had been ten minutes ago, ripping through wrappers and pocketing its contents. I was focused and had acted faster than ever, for a second battle was foreign to me and when faced with the unknown, I resorted to speed and instincts. As we finished and strolled through another aisle, we each felt equivalent to Achilles himself, immortal in battles. To our knowledge, a second battle had never been attempted before, let alone a victory achieved. And then there she was, my Paris, wearing a red shirt, approaching from the other end of the aisle.
You see, a blue shirt means you’re a regular employee, a dispensable bolt in the machine. But a red shirt was more, a supervisor, a central gear that keeps the machine turning. Perhaps she was just passing, DJ and I thought simultaneously. Instinctively we turned and looked at the products; I announced that we had need a poster (that was located at the other end of store) in order to make our movement seem less conspicuous. It was as if we had seen the Fallen Angel himself, a blue shirt at the other end of the aisle, blocking our escape route. Something was wrong.
“You two come here,” the women said aggressively.
We turned and I attempted innocence, “Yes ma’am?”
“Show me what’s in your jacket pocket,” firing her arrow, rupturing my heel. An immortal slain by greed induced weakness.
The moments after that was a blur, but I do remember resolving the problem with tears and my appearance as a sixth grader. And that her shoes were Sketchers; I had spent a long time staring at them. It was through this incident I finally realized and took to heart the phrase that has always been embedded in gambling and that is to “stop while you are ahead.” I reached this conclusion during my walk home from Wal-Mart. It was through analyzing my favorite stories such as, Achilles of The Iliad and Adam and Eve of the book of Genesis that I realized that all these great characters have weaknesses, especially through their foolish actions of greed, seeking glory, and caving to temptations. At first, I claimed to eradicate myself of those weaknesses but I soon realized I am human and I make mistakes. Acknowledging this, I knew I couldn’t get rid of my mistakes but I could try to improve.
In hindsight, I see foolishness universally through my actions in Wal-Mart. The first being that I had ignored the immorality of stealing in my reflection after the incident and the second being that greed and glory isn’t necessarily a weakness. I have now realized that it can often be used as a form of motivation, although commonly producing undesired effects, can, at times, produce great results.
I commonly look back to this event and it has been a fundamental story that I have analyzed endlessly, coming to different conclusions. I guess that’s the definition of personal growth, to change opinions as you age.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Howdy
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
    +1
  • Varine Varine:
    Crazy how much 3d printing has come in the last few years. Sad that it's not as easily modifiable though
  • Varine Varine:
    I bought an Ender 3 during the pandemic and tinkered with it all the time. Just bought a Sovol, not as easy. I'm trying to make it use a different nozzle because I have a fuck ton of Volcanos, and they use what is basically a modified volcano that is just a smidge longer, and almost every part on this thing needs to be redone to make it work
  • Varine Varine:
    Luckily I have a 3d printer for that, I guess. But it's ridiculous. The regular volcanos are 21mm, these Sovol versions are about 23.5mm
  • Varine Varine:
    So, 2.5mm longer. But the thing that measures the bed is about 1.5mm above the nozzle, so if I swap it with a volcano then I'm 1mm behind it. So cool, new bracket to swap that, but THEN the fan shroud to direct air at the part is ALSO going to be .5mm to low, and so I need to redo that, but by doing that it is a little bit off where it should be blowing and it's throwing it at the heating block instead of the part, and fuck man
  • Varine Varine:
    I didn't realize they designed this entire thing to NOT be modded. I would have just got a fucking Bambu if I knew that, the whole point was I could fuck with this. And no one else makes shit for Sovol so I have to go through them, and they have... interesting pricing models. So I have a new extruder altogether that I'm taking apart and going to just design a whole new one to use my nozzles. Dumb design.
  • Varine Varine:
    Can't just buy a new heatblock, you need to get a whole hotend - so block, heater cartridge, thermistor, heatbreak, and nozzle. And they put this fucking paste in there so I can't take the thermistor or cartridge out with any ease, that's 30 dollars. Or you can get the whole extrudor with the direct driver AND that heatblock for like 50, but you still can't get any of it to come apart
  • Varine Varine:
    Partsbuilt has individual parts I found but they're expensive. I think I can get bits swapped around and make this work with generic shit though
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Heard Houston got hit pretty bad by storms last night. Hope all is well with TH.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Power back on finally - all is good here no damage
    +2
  • V-SNES V-SNES:
    Happy Friday!
    +1

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.