Other Warcraft III Arena

Vestras

Retired
Reaction score
attachment.php

What is it?
Warcraft III Arena is not your everyday arena - it is actually more a modification of the game than a map, although it is made in the World Editor.

The gameplay is nothing like you've seen before; you move with the arrow keys, hell yeah, nothing new there, but with the program I attached to the post you're able to use the WASD keys to move.

Furthermore, you shoot by left clicking. You can gather different weapons by exploring the terrain, since they are placed different places on the map.

Not implemented yet: traps - when right clicking, you place traps, which when stepped on by an enemy, will trigger and cause effects depending on the trap type. (The right clicking is implemented, however I haven't made any traps because I haven't properly finished the model yet)

The weapon menu - by clicking the weapons/traps in your weapon menu (inventory), you can shift between them!

Features
  • Fully custom gameplay!
  • Fast paced, very fast paced!
  • 6 different types of weapons!
  • An advanced AI, giving you the option to have fun even in single player!
  • Right click to place a varity of traps!

Other
The map isn't very far in progress, although I have used a lot of time scripting it, so please don't judge it too hard at this point. Ideas are welcome however!

Todo

Vestras:
  • [del]Finish the trap model[/del] - done
  • [del]Make a shitload of cool traps[/del] - done
  • [del]Create a challenging and awesome AI[/del] - done

GooS:
  • Create the UI

Updates: created a new terrain - added a challenging and awesome AI - made a shitload of cool traps - finished the trap model. (April 20th 2009)

Enjoy and thanks for taking your time to read this!

Attachments

• Annihilation Blaster.JPG
    Annihilation Blaster.JPG
    22.2 KB · Views: 285
  • Destroyer Cannon.JPG
    Destroyer Cannon.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 302
  • Firey Fire.JPG
    Firey Fire.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 281
  • Infinite Light.JPG
    Infinite Light.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 320
  • Poison Launcher.JPG
    Poison Launcher.JPG
    30.6 KB · Views: 283
  • WC3Arena.PNG
    WC3Arena.PNG
    3.5 KB · Views: 489
  • WA_1.00(p).w3x
    372.3 KB · Views: 302
  • WC3AExtended.zip
    196.7 KB · Views: 255

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
Actually, the AI is shit easy to make. Just try not to make it too hard like Tyrande did in spirit wars.... evryone cryed their eyes out that they can't pwn the PC player. This looks nice, mainly because it is a copy of an arena hosted in wc3c... forgot it's name, but I can say without a doubt and shame that you have totaly copyed the battle system. WHat i'd advise you is to really, make things different. The deadeye model is a nice catch, but what I didn't understand is
A How the hell can a skeleton summon lightnings without moving his hands....
B how can a skeleton marcsman summon lightnings...

I'd advice you to either change the model or make the spells arrow-based. (like the fire arrow for example)

SOme bugs I noticed: You can carry up to 2 items at a time. If you pick a third one you lose an item.

What the Bloodcount?! There are empty/half full/full life bars all over the map..... WTB?
overall ..... welll..... uhm...
You need some work on the terrein as well :p

PS What does GV productions mean!? Groove Vaginal productions? Graveyarded Vestras productions? Goos& Vestras productions ?:D

Anyway this can become something. Just watch the trackables adn moving system. It laged for me a bit eaven in single player. =[

Vestras

Retired
Reaction score
> Actually, the AI is shit easy to make

Yeah, you say that. -_-' It takes shitloads of time to tweak it.

> mainly because it is a copy of an arena hosted in wc3c

I originally started this project before that arena was released (I knew about xgm.ru at that time, yes) and the gameplay was not inspired by TcX. However in the start of the creation the map had another movement system, and when I tried TcX I figured (and was inspired) that the movement system there was more handy.

> A How the hell can a skeleton summon lightnings without moving his hands....
B how can a skeleton marcsman summon lightnings...

A - he can't, but I have yet to [del]ask jigrael to[/del] make an animation where it does something. However I don't think this will be implemented and the only thing I will do is that I will make his upper body face the target.
B - he's magical.

> There are empty/half full/full life bars all over the map..... WTB?

I'm sorry, what? Replay or it didn't happen.

> You need some work on the terrein as well :p

That one terrain is just for testing.

> PS What does GV productions mean!? Groove Vaginal productions? Graveyarded Vestras productions? Goos& Vestras productions ? :D

GooS & Vestras Productions.

> Anyway this can become something. Just watch the trackables adn moving system. It laged for me a bit eaven in single player. =[

1) I don't use trackables, they don't allow rightclicking. 2) I know it can lag a little bit and that's why I'm gonna make a unit recycling system.

Thanks for testing.

Vestras

Retired
Reaction score
What will make this different from TcX?

The weapon menu; the theme; the weapons; traps - and I'm also working on a custom menu, activated when you press esc, for options on gameplay and stuff. That's not sure to become something however.

Zack1996

Working on a Map
Reaction score
Looks rather cool :) I tried it and liked it.

However, some things I realised is that:
a) The fire arrow looks unrealistically slow :S. I can practically outrun it.
b) The acid thingy that bounces around explodes even if it is at the peak of its ascent. Make it explode only if its below 200 flying height or something :S
c) The players start out clustered together and I somehow managed to triple kill with the normal arrow which pierced through the enemies. I don't think normal arrows should pierce through enemies, just hit 1 enemy :)
d) Weapons respawn too fast, make them spawn slower XD

Overall, well done :)

Vestras

Retired
Reaction score
Thanks for trying Zack!

a) - noted
b) - I think it looks good...?
c) - I'll make them invulnerable to damage the first 5 seconds :)
d) - noted

Vestras

Retired
Reaction score
Introducing new feature: combining

So I've thought of a thing... what if you could combine weapons and traps? Like fire and nature, fire sets nature on fire and it will deal more damage.

But I need your help: what should I do of these two things:

A) make recipies (like any other map) where you click the weapon/trap you're currently wearing and it will combine with the weapon/trap you're currently wearing (if it's able to)?
B) make visual combination - for example shooting an arrow on fire into a trail of plants sets the plants on fire so they will deal more damage?

Please reply with what you think. Ideas are welcome.

TideOfChaos

Reaction score
Thought I would post some feedback and ideas.

First of all, this is awesome, I am really impressed, it is a shame to see such little amounts of people taking instrested. I can also see this style of gameplay being added into other maps, which be awesome.

The gameplay is really cool, and I see what you mean about fastpaced.
I would like to see something like, you press A and you sprint for X seconds or something, making it easier to avoid some of the attacks. And I think that Traps should be set another way, because have two spells to throw with right click and left would be badass. I would love to see some diffrent Heroes that have diffrent traits, like, movement speed, health and casting distance. Also, a diffrent camrea angle (A bit closer maybe) would be nice. I know Knockback is over used, but it creates a more chaotic feel. If you have played Warlocks, the knockback in that doesn't stun, so something like that would be nice.

Apart from the errors (which will be fixed I imagnie) this is a great start, and will soon evlove into something awesome.

Oh and, a custom UI would be instresting.

Vestras

Retired
Reaction score
> First of all, this is awesome, I am really impressed, it is a shame to see such little amounts of people taking instrested. I can also see this style of gameplay being added into other maps, which be awesome.

Thanks :) Yeah, I'm a little surprised too. I actually thought more people would be excited about this. :( I'm actually thinking of making a pack so that you can easily make gameplay like this in your own map. So you basically import everything from this map into your own and just make the terrain.

> I would like to see something like, you press A and you sprint for X seconds or something, making it easier to avoid some of the attacks.

Sorry to say, but that is impossible. When you do the things like I do you can't detect abilities being used and stuff. However I'm thinking of adding powerups.

> And I think that Traps should be set another way, because have two spells to throw with right click and left would be badass.

1) That'd become very monotone.
2) You haven't seen the traps yet, they feel awesome :)

> I would love to see some diffrent Heroes that have diffrent traits, like, movement speed, health and casting distance.

Maybe, however I would like to implement all the other features first, since that is what makes the mod complete. Note: adding new stuff, such as a simple thing like a new weapon, is very difficult because of all the things that rely on a constant value of weapons and stuff.

> I know Knockback is over used, but it creates a more chaotic feel.

I was actually thinking about adding this - like you get launched away by traps and then with projectiles they could knock you back. However if I make that I'd include the Z dimension, so the traps would launch you up too and the projectiles knocking you further up. That'd be extremely time consuming, however.

> Apart from the errors (which will be fixed I imagnie) this is a great start, and will soon evlove into something awesome.

I hope so :) What errors, I need to fix those.

> Oh and, a custom UI would be instresting.

Yeah, but we still need to figure out how it should look. As I said earlier: ideas are welcome.

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
I don't know.... just... seems... done. It is done. Not sure why but I expected more. I mean this is the actuall style of TcX with different weapons... Anyone who has been arround a bit more then me will diss it. Like, you know all those "Just another Dota Copy!"... well what makes this different then " just another TcX copy!? "
And
# Fully custom gameplay! --> not
# Fast paced, very fast paced! --> ffs not
# 6 different types of weapons! ---> LOL the highest ammount of weapons ever.

Vestras

Retired
Reaction score
> I don't know.... just... seems... done. It is done. Not sure why but I expected more. I mean this is the actuall style of TcX with different weapons... Anyone who has been arround a bit more then me will diss it. Like, you know all those "Just another Dota Copy!"... well what makes this different then " just another TcX copy!? "

Think before you speak. Atleast TcX copies won't be a much as DotA copies. And you haven't really given this any time.

> Fully custom gameplay! --> not

Yes. You're mixing up 'custom' with 'original'. And hell, it's original, just because there's one other map which has the same thing.

> Fast paced, very fast paced! --> ffs not

How can you tell when you've only played it in single player?

> 6 different types of weapons! ---> LOL the highest ammount of weapons ever.

I'm sorry, but I am the only not seeing something saying "high amount of weapon" anywhere in this text?

> MagnaGuard

That won't work, because I've reworked the whole Warcraft III engine. I can give you the unprotected version so you can see for yourself.

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
Srsly, how come you are such an optimist ? I want to be soo optimistic too... Well, only time will tell.... or more clearly, only wc3c will tell.

iPeez

Hot food far all world wide!
Reaction score
Woa Vestras. Sounds quite cool =)

I am at Svaldbard atm so I cannot test it, but I will do it later! Definatly!
Looks great :D

Just a little tips acording to your other games. Make a lot of items and good descriptions. Colors power up the quality aswell!

Vestras

Retired
Reaction score
> iPeez

A fact: I can't add items. Not items like you think I think. But I'm going to add powerups (which you pickup when walking on them), but only basic ones like hp bonus, hp reg, such stuff. Descriptions: noted.

Thanks, I'm looking forward to hearing your opinions.

No comments on the new feature combining? :(

Vestras

Retired
Reaction score
Updated: I made an awesome AI (very challenging, owns me and it's fun to play with) and implemented traps. Also made a brand new terrain.

I'm hoping that I've made a vid by the end of this week.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Howdy
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
    +1
  • Varine Varine:
    Crazy how much 3d printing has come in the last few years. Sad that it's not as easily modifiable though
  • Varine Varine:
    I bought an Ender 3 during the pandemic and tinkered with it all the time. Just bought a Sovol, not as easy. I'm trying to make it use a different nozzle because I have a fuck ton of Volcanos, and they use what is basically a modified volcano that is just a smidge longer, and almost every part on this thing needs to be redone to make it work
  • Varine Varine:
    Luckily I have a 3d printer for that, I guess. But it's ridiculous. The regular volcanos are 21mm, these Sovol versions are about 23.5mm
  • Varine Varine:
    So, 2.5mm longer. But the thing that measures the bed is about 1.5mm above the nozzle, so if I swap it with a volcano then I'm 1mm behind it. So cool, new bracket to swap that, but THEN the fan shroud to direct air at the part is ALSO going to be .5mm to low, and so I need to redo that, but by doing that it is a little bit off where it should be blowing and it's throwing it at the heating block instead of the part, and fuck man
  • Varine Varine:
    I didn't realize they designed this entire thing to NOT be modded. I would have just got a fucking Bambu if I knew that, the whole point was I could fuck with this. And no one else makes shit for Sovol so I have to go through them, and they have... interesting pricing models. So I have a new extruder altogether that I'm taking apart and going to just design a whole new one to use my nozzles. Dumb design.
  • Varine Varine:
    Can't just buy a new heatblock, you need to get a whole hotend - so block, heater cartridge, thermistor, heatbreak, and nozzle. And they put this fucking paste in there so I can't take the thermistor or cartridge out with any ease, that's 30 dollars. Or you can get the whole extrudor with the direct driver AND that heatblock for like 50, but you still can't get any of it to come apart
  • Varine Varine:
    Partsbuilt has individual parts I found but they're expensive. I think I can get bits swapped around and make this work with generic shit though
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Heard Houston got hit pretty bad by storms last night. Hope all is well with TH.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Power back on finally - all is good here no damage
    +2
  • V-SNES V-SNES:
    Happy Friday!
    +1

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.