What is the best way to do this?

Okay

Reaction score
I wanted to make a map that was kind of like an rpg.
It would have 6 different possible classes, and it would be entirely controlled by the keyboard.

There are several different ways I could see how to make this map, but I am not sure which is best.
One of the things that I wanted to do, but might create more challenges was give each class 3 sub classes
for example: warrior-squire-knight

so here are my ideas and the pros and cons how I see them. If you have an idea of another way or pro or con, post it and I will consider it.
What I want to know is which ones people think are best gameplay wise, and then which ones would be most worthwhile (if the best gameplay is hard to make and there is another that is a lot easier, and only slightly worse, that would be this one).

1a. I could just have 1 player that was able to switch between all of the classes using only the 6 main classes
pros: it would be easy to program and fun that you could switch
cons: no fun subclasses, and not multiplayer

1b. All of the same, except it would have the subclasses too.
pros: fun subclasses, pretty easy to program
cons: people would only use their top tier classes and ruin the point of switching*, and not multiplayer

2a. 6 players, with each one having one of the classes and using only the 6 main classes
pros: multiplayer
cons: harder to program, no switching, and really no major benefits over 2.b

2b. All of the same, except it would have the subclasses too.
pros: fun subclasses, multiplayer
cons: harder to program, no switching

3a. 6 players, each one starting with one of the classes, and the players can trade characters for fun
pros: multiplayer, some switching
cons: harder to program, no subclasses, players might not be willing to switch

3b. Same with subclasses
pros: multiplayer, some switching, fun subclasses
cons: harder to program, no subclasses, players might be even less willing to switch

4a. a 6 player version of the first idea
pros: multiplayer, switching
cons: no subclasses, very hard to program

4b. same with subclasses
pros: multiplayer, subclasses
cons: very hard to program, people would only use their top tier classes and ruin the point of switching*

*what I mean is that, each class will probably have a specific point in the game where they upgrade to the next tier subclass, so a player might have 2 classes at the top tier and only use those while they have 4 unused bottom tier classes

Tyman2007

Ya Rly >.
Reaction score
He means you can't play it over battle.net (online)

If you have some good coders you can pull it off.

Okay

Reaction score
Well I mean that if that is what I did, it would not be multiplayer.
I personally think that having it be mulitplayer adds some appeal that you can play with others.

perkeyone

something clever
Reaction score
keyboard control lags a bit in multiplayer sadly.
if you want to encourage class switching, you could give each class a small advantage over another... sort of a "rock paper scissors" type interaction. you could do this by editing armor and damage types and the appropriate constants.

NBalfa

Reaction score
aa ok I thought that it would be like mixing 1a or 1b with others

you are right

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
keyboard control lags a bit in multiplayer sadly.
if you want to encourage class switching, you could give each class a small advantage over another... sort of a "rock paper scissors" type interaction. you could do this by editing armor and damage types and the appropriate constants.

this depends on what sort of keyboard movement control you have.
i once made a keyboard control using WASD as movement controls, worked perfectly fine for up to 12 players.

NBalfa

Reaction score
can you tell us how the classes are like so that it wont be so difficult for you to do the triggering on class changing?

perkeyone

something clever
Reaction score
this depends on what sort of keyboard movement control you have.
i once made a keyboard control using WASD as movement controls, worked perfectly fine for up to 12 players.

did you use abilities with those as the hotkeys?
hmm... things may have changed a bit since i made maps.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
yeah, there are alot of channel based abilities in my maps. of course the controls arent as nice as arrow keys but they are working.

edit: by the way, isnt what we are doing here called thread hijacking?

Okay

Reaction score
I was already going to give each class an advantage.
However, I'm not sure if you completely understand.
The different heros will not be dueling, nor will the enemies you face be considered members of any of the 6 classes. I want each class to have a unique weapon and some form of special ability, but not have a direct advantage over a certain unit.

That just gave me a great idea of how to simplify how my multiplayer might work, thanks.

can you tell us how the classes are like so that it wont be so difficult for you to do the triggering on class changing?
If you are asking about going from first to second to third tier class, then its just: unit does thing, replace unit with other unit
that would be completing a quest or something
If you are asking about switching classes then it would still be: unit does thing, replace unit with other unit
that would be stepping up to a certain weapons rack or something
If you are asking what the 6 classes are then... i'm not going to say. Sorry, but I don't want anyone taking my idea and i don't see how it could possibly be relevant.
I just wanted to also point out that, I probably wasn't clear, but the classes will probably just be units, and not heros

Also, guys, I would appreciate some more direct feedback, answering which idea sounds like it would have the best game play.

EDIT: I will say that there are 3 different meele type classes and 3 different ranged type classes. The rest is for me to know and you to find out if I ever finish and release this map.

NBalfa

Reaction score
I also mean what's the reason why sb should change a class like for example class no 1 can walk on the water, no2 can fly no3 can cut trees ... what for should sb change class?

EDIT: I am asking because if the unit stays with the same model ex peasant you can have him stay with the same model and have less lag

Okay

Reaction score
You should change class for its advantages over other classes, and also because i will probably add in class specific puzzles.
(some examples: you need to hit a switch across an unpathable area, but only one class has enough range to hit it.
you need to hit all of some levers in a row with a range attack and in a set amount of time, and only a certain class has a projectile that will continue going after it hits the first lever so it hits every lever.
you need to stand on a switch, but only a certain class is heavy enough to trigger it. That is the basic idea.)

I don't think that class switching will cause lag, even though each class has a unique model, because you will not be constantly doing it, and it is not that big of a change.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
i think he means like in Final Fantasy 5 or maybe Final Fantasy Tactics where the characters could change their class and set of skills at any time.

Okay

Reaction score
If I did class changing, it would be like
you send your unit up to a weapons rack
a dialog box apears, saying:
Weapons Rack
weapon 1
Weapon 2
Weapon 3
cancel
or something.
If you chose one of the weapons, you become the class that uses that particular weapon

NBalfa

Reaction score
so make it a 6 player game

you can have a spellbook on each unit to change classes and if you use subclasses then add spellbooks in the spellbook

you can also for example having a unit which fires projectiles from a short range so that the player won't realize it and add him a hidden ability's which add attack range to the unit

Okay

Reaction score
a. It would be a 6 player game if I used one of the multiplayer ideas

b. that is overcomplicated and unnecessary, My method works fine

c. you are forgetting that it is completely controlled by the keyboard, no mouse, no giving the unit abilities

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.