Your favorite map features?

substance

Reaction score
Due to a delay I have no control over I have some extra time to work on my map's user features and I'm wondering which features you guys find the most usefull/fun in the maps you play? By 'features' I mean the ones that are not specific to the map's genre (TD, AOS) but more general. For example 'Save\Load' and 'rematch'.

So far I have a few user input commands such as:
'-balance' which will get the hero class of a leaving player from the team witht less players and find a player on the opposing team that has that hero and then switch him over.
'-callvote kick' is pretty straight forward, the player types '-callvote kick blue' and it will start a 30 second timer in which players can type '-vote yes' or '-vote no'.
Rematch code is in place so that when the game ends if all the players stay it will automatically re-initialize with swapped teams.

So what other features have you guys seen in maps that you think are helpfull/fun?

**btw my genre is capture the flag with classes(heroes).My project post.

denmax

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
The only thing I can think is terrain and environmental gameplay advantages and disadvantages. If a person doesn't want this things, then you can manually enable or disable these effects.

For example:
If you are in a foxhole, your evasion is increased.
Near some shrubs? Invisibility
Cliffs, range bonus
Wind, reduced movement

ETC.

substance

Reaction score
Hmm. those are good suggestions... I might work on something like that if I can get some decent ideas on implementation.

SerraAvenger

Cuz I can
Reaction score
A pretty funny suggestion: Disable shared view with teammates^^*
Leads to more verbal communication and must-be teamplay. Still it makes pretty imba versus VoIP - clans.

Another one: Environmental effects.
I mean not only malusses / bonusses by terrain, I mean Storms , Earthquakes and fires.
Dummy units which cast various spells on random parts of the map every random amount of seconds. Imagine you are walking through a Jungle, and suddenly the is a forest fire burning the whole jungle, you run and try to flee.
Best if they effect each other ( rain counters fire; earthquakes can cause fire; tornadoes and rain increase each others effect and so on).

And here: Non-ai units don't acquire targets themselves
You have to order them to attack in order to have them deal damage. This works best if units have different transparencies (perhaps even effected by enironment , daytime and items in inventory) so good players can enter the enemies bases even if their hero is weak just becouse they are pretty difficult to see.

All weapons stun for 0.01 seconds when hitting.
This is an advanced and pretty real combat feature imagine someone cutts in your hand - will you then imidiately strike back as if nothing would have happened, or will you scream loud and hold your hand before you strike back?

Running costs mana*
So mana is some sort of endurance.

First person view and arrow key control
Nothing needs to be explained here, I think.

Greetings Serra

* I have these features in a map myself (which is a capture the flag too, by the way)

ManyTimes

I'm so lonesome I could cry...
Reaction score
A minor thing only... I saw your multiboard and thought, wtf is he doing?:D
Well...why? Well, you had K/D - Kills/deaths... then under it you give -1 point a hero dies and +1 if you kill one? Why not just something like this:
K/D
1/3 : where 1 = kill, 3 = deaths
or
K/D
1 | 2 1 kill, 2 deaths
Not needed but... Dno how it will look, but you would then still use the same column and you will then see how much deaths/kills you actually got, not only if you are on the positive side or not....blablabla :)

Oh, fav map contains of recipes, rather more levels of the recipes than loads of newbie recipes. Some costs too much, you will "never" get enough gold to buy it.. some brilliant ressurection system (maybe even a bit advanced, hard for newbies to get first time they play) when you die, your "soul" is released (a ghost that can fly everywhere?) then bring him to a healer in base...he casts a spell and your ressurecton time has begun!!! And if you got a certain item, how about the ressurection time is halfed, reduced. Considering it is a CTF, maybe a sealed door? ehm, dno what i mean by that, but something with a door, that if a unit enters the Flag Room, a doors closes (or a player can use an ability "close flag door") and it closes and the loser inside the flag room has to hit down the d00r, meanwhile the opponents are gathering outside the door, and BOOM! CHAOS! DEATH! Happy ending! :)

And maybe some random screams in the map (sounds)..just screams of ppl dying kinda...Some dark theme, snowy weather, doomed terrain, northrend glacier. And.. short sight radius on the heroes, 600-800...

substance

Reaction score
some brilliant ressurection system (maybe even a bit advanced, hard for newbies to get first time they play) when you die, your "soul" is released (a ghost that can fly everywhere?) then bring him to a healer in base...he casts a spell and your ressurecton time has begun!!! And if you got a certain item, how about the ressurection time is halfed, reduced.

I like that... right now I have a system where your respawn time is based on the distance between your dying location and the location of your team's flag stand. (so dying on offence will have a longer wait then dying on defence)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Howdy
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
    +1
  • Varine Varine:
    Crazy how much 3d printing has come in the last few years. Sad that it's not as easily modifiable though
  • Varine Varine:
    I bought an Ender 3 during the pandemic and tinkered with it all the time. Just bought a Sovol, not as easy. I'm trying to make it use a different nozzle because I have a fuck ton of Volcanos, and they use what is basically a modified volcano that is just a smidge longer, and almost every part on this thing needs to be redone to make it work
  • Varine Varine:
    Luckily I have a 3d printer for that, I guess. But it's ridiculous. The regular volcanos are 21mm, these Sovol versions are about 23.5mm
  • Varine Varine:
    So, 2.5mm longer. But the thing that measures the bed is about 1.5mm above the nozzle, so if I swap it with a volcano then I'm 1mm behind it. So cool, new bracket to swap that, but THEN the fan shroud to direct air at the part is ALSO going to be .5mm to low, and so I need to redo that, but by doing that it is a little bit off where it should be blowing and it's throwing it at the heating block instead of the part, and fuck man
  • Varine Varine:
    I didn't realize they designed this entire thing to NOT be modded. I would have just got a fucking Bambu if I knew that, the whole point was I could fuck with this. And no one else makes shit for Sovol so I have to go through them, and they have... interesting pricing models. So I have a new extruder altogether that I'm taking apart and going to just design a whole new one to use my nozzles. Dumb design.
  • Varine Varine:
    Can't just buy a new heatblock, you need to get a whole hotend - so block, heater cartridge, thermistor, heatbreak, and nozzle. And they put this fucking paste in there so I can't take the thermistor or cartridge out with any ease, that's 30 dollars. Or you can get the whole extrudor with the direct driver AND that heatblock for like 50, but you still can't get any of it to come apart
  • Varine Varine:
    Partsbuilt has individual parts I found but they're expensive. I think I can get bits swapped around and make this work with generic shit though
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Heard Houston got hit pretty bad by storms last night. Hope all is well with TH.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Power back on finally - all is good here no damage
    +2
  • V-SNES V-SNES:
    Happy Friday!
    +1

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.