Discussion customizing devour

T

tenebrous

EDIT: A possible solution is offered toward the end of this thread by Acehart!

All right, here's another toughie - the age-old question of making an ability like Devour that devours multiple units.

I've read all the posts about Devour in this forum, and by far the best suggestion was from Ryoko. The suggestion was to create an ability based off the Goblin Zeppelin's Cargo Hold, Load, Cargo Hold Death and Unload abilities.

But before I get to that, some things I discovered:

1. The unit that's going to carry people (from now on I'll call it a Wumpus) has to have AT LEAST the following abilities in order to work: Cargo Hold and Load.

2. You can't make the Load ability target Enemy units, no matter how you customize the ability. I tried. Nothing I can do changes that fact - even altering the Targets Allowed field.

...SO, what I did was:

A. Chose some ability that has a generic target (I picked Aerial Shackles because it's rather benign), stripped all the fx off it, and then called it "Devour."

B. Gave the Wumpus this new "Devour" ability as well as Cargo Hold, Cargo Hold Death and Load. (I didn't give it Unload because I'm not letting the Player unload the unit from the creature).

C. Created the below trigger:

Code:
InitiateDevour
    Events
        Unit - A unit Begins casting an ability
    Conditions
        And - All (Conditions) are true
            Conditions
                (Ability being cast) Equal to Devour (Ancient Wumpus - Dummy)
    Actions
        Unit - Set mana of (Triggering unit) to ((Mana of (Triggering unit)) - 50.00)
        Unit - Change ownership of (Target unit of ability being cast) to (Owner of (Triggering unit)) and Retain color
        Unit - Order (Triggering unit) to Load (Target unit of ability being cast)

...Which checks for the casting of "Devour" by a Wumpus, then changes the ownership of the target of "Devour" (an Enemy unit) into a Player-Controlled Unit in order to Load it into the Wumpus. (I'll get to the problems with this in a minute)

D. To kill the unit slowly, I used this trigger:

Code:
Stomach
    Events
        Unit - A unit Is loaded into a transport
    Conditions
        (Unit-type of (Transporting unit)) Equal to Ancient Wumpus (PC)
    Actions
        Unit - Add a ((Life of (Triggering unit)) / 30.00) second Disease Cloud expiration timer to (Triggering unit)

...adds a death timer to the unit in the Cargo Hold equal to its HP divided by 30, (which effectively deals 30 damage a second to the unit in the Cargo Hold). I tried working with a loop that does damage over time to the unit in the Cargo Hold, but this instantly crashes the program if you try to loop it (go figure).

BUT, the obvious problems with this setup are:

- The Enemy units loaded/killed in this way are counted as the _your_ losses, rather than your Enemy's...

-The display for the Goblin Zeppelin Cargo Hold does not update the HP of units in the Cargo Hold, so you have no way of knowing the condition of the units inside.

-I can't allow the Player to devour Enemy Hero units (even though its possible with this setup) because once they are ownership-changed, they become buildable by the Player. I tried removing the Hero classification prior to issuing the Load order, but it doesn't change the Hero's reappearance in the Player's Altar, on the Hero list, or his death announcement.

-The Player can unload the devoured unit by clicking on its icon in the Cargo Hold.

...And of course who knows how many other problems...

Does anyone have any ideas as to how to go about this in a different way, or any ideas as to how to fix my crazy workaround? I _have_ tried a variety of alternatives (for hours on end)...

PS: I'm not even going to get into the horrible problems one encounters when trying to base the ability off the actual Devour ability - that's old news, and it only leads to a dead end.

Rad

Reaction score
Im not gonna read all that unless you REALLY REALLY REALLY want me to because A: i never used devour except in melee games, B: Im lazy.

One thing I can suggest is when you cast it hides all units in the AoE and adds them to a unit group, every 3 seconds they lose 5% of thier maximum health untill they or the kodo (or whatever) dies. When the kodo dies unhide them and move to the kodo. Walla, now just deal with the effects, ability disabling, and the fog-of-war situations.

T

tenebrous

Aforementioned problems with what you suggest:

- I'm not using the Devour ability because it can't devour multiple units
- I want the Player to see the units being devoured, which is why I'm using the Goblin Zeppelin Cargo Hold ability, per Ryoko

Rad

Reaction score
Best advice I can give knowing almost nothing about load/cargohold etc is to PM ryoko and suggest he view this thread.

Rad

Reaction score
Sure... though knowing Ryoko's habits his PM box is full, or hes not allowing PM's. You could search some of his threads to see where he goes and try to get some attention. And no i did not suggest that you spam other thread with off topic chat ;)

SD_Ryoko

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Okay, well it looks like you answered it yourself.

We know that

By design, devour does one unit.

By design, cargo hold doesn't update the life, and must be your unit to load.

All of these, you cannot change.

So Unless theres a different ability to use, you would have to settle for one of the other.

Or, if you can give me a map that does what your looking for, I can tell you how they did it.

But I have not seen it.

Sorry :(

Jazradel

Helping people do more by doing less.
Reaction score
Well when he cast's it you could pick every targeted unit and create a copy for yourself. Then load it into your devouring unit and reload them whenever you deal them damage.

T

tenebrous

I think I've got it!

Okay, this took two days of hellish torture, but I think I've managed to pull off a hero unit with multiple devour cargo.

I've attached the map so you can see it for yourself. The triggers are too long to post here.

Unfortunately, since I don't know JASS (and thus have no idea how to do real local variables) other than custom script suggested by others to prevent leaks, you'd only be able to use this ability on 1 unit (that is, if you're on multiplayer, you have to enforce that only 1 person builds the unit or else it won't work).

It may still be a little buggy, and although it's very rare, I've noticed the triggers do slip on occassion, so it apparently isn't airtight. I definitely welcome any suggestions as to how to improve the ability.

Attachments

• Devour Cargo Example.w3x
    38.8 KB · Views: 213

Sargon

Reaction score
Please read the forum rules regarding bumping posts. Basically, do notbump your post unless it has been 24 hours and the post is falling off the first page (or has already fallen off).

Sargon

Reaction score
Rad said:
Cmon Sargon it was the next day cut em some slack :rolleyes:

No it wasn't. :p At least, not by my clock settings.

Rad

Reaction score
Yesterday, 09:20 PM
Today, 06:16 AM

Hmm I guess it was pretty close. I didnt notice it was 6 AM! lol ;) (My time of course)

Sargon

Reaction score
You crazy west-coast people and your three-hour time difference. :p

T

tenebrous

ummm

I tried to follow the rules - I went to sleep and woke up and BAM new day.

Besides, I'm only trying to give something back to the forum for all the help it gave me in the first place.

edit: AND you penalized me with this red dot thing?? how vile

T

tenebrous

-->

Krofttt - what exactly does that ability do? Can you explain more clearly?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
    +1
  • Varine Varine:
    Crazy how much 3d printing has come in the last few years. Sad that it's not as easily modifiable though
  • Varine Varine:
    I bought an Ender 3 during the pandemic and tinkered with it all the time. Just bought a Sovol, not as easy. I'm trying to make it use a different nozzle because I have a fuck ton of Volcanos, and they use what is basically a modified volcano that is just a smidge longer, and almost every part on this thing needs to be redone to make it work
  • Varine Varine:
    Luckily I have a 3d printer for that, I guess. But it's ridiculous. The regular volcanos are 21mm, these Sovol versions are about 23.5mm
  • Varine Varine:
    So, 2.5mm longer. But the thing that measures the bed is about 1.5mm above the nozzle, so if I swap it with a volcano then I'm 1mm behind it. So cool, new bracket to swap that, but THEN the fan shroud to direct air at the part is ALSO going to be .5mm to low, and so I need to redo that, but by doing that it is a little bit off where it should be blowing and it's throwing it at the heating block instead of the part, and fuck man
  • Varine Varine:
    I didn't realize they designed this entire thing to NOT be modded. I would have just got a fucking Bambu if I knew that, the whole point was I could fuck with this. And no one else makes shit for Sovol so I have to go through them, and they have... interesting pricing models. So I have a new extruder altogether that I'm taking apart and going to just design a whole new one to use my nozzles. Dumb design.
  • Varine Varine:
    Can't just buy a new heatblock, you need to get a whole hotend - so block, heater cartridge, thermistor, heatbreak, and nozzle. And they put this fucking paste in there so I can't take the thermistor or cartridge out with any ease, that's 30 dollars. Or you can get the whole extrudor with the direct driver AND that heatblock for like 50, but you still can't get any of it to come apart
  • Varine Varine:
    Partsbuilt has individual parts I found but they're expensive. I think I can get bits swapped around and make this work with generic shit though
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Heard Houston got hit pretty bad by storms last night. Hope all is well with TH.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Power back on finally - all is good here no damage
    +2
  • V-SNES V-SNES:
    Happy Friday!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New recipe is another summer dessert Berry and Peach Cheesecake - https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-berry-and-peach-cheesecake.194169/

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.