Google releases Android Studio 1.0, the first stable version of its IDE

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
After two years of development, Google today released Android Studio 1.0, the first stable version of its Integrated Development Environment (IDE) aimed at Android developers. You can download it right now for Windows, Mac, and Linux from the Android Developer site.

Google first announced Android Studio, built on the popular IntelliJIDEA Java IDE, at its I/O Developer conference in May 2013. The company’s pitch was very simple: This is the official Android IDE.

At the time, Google promised Android Studio would make developers “faster and more productive” and called it a replacement for Eclipse. In fact, the company has a list of migration steps just for Eclipse users.

Last edited by a moderator:

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
because chromebooks are nowhere near powerful enough to run an android emulator?
They run Linux just fine. They aren't the fastest, but it runs everything I've tried on it. IDE's, Blender, GIMP. I don't see how this would take that much power.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
They run Linux just fine. They aren't the fastest, but it runs everything I've tried on it. IDE's, Blender, GIMP. I don't see how this would take that much power.

emulating arm on x86 is somewhat slow.. and android does have a fair amount of eye candy that requires GPU emulation for - it's also something that isn't exactly optimized for, like virtualization of x86 on x86

also it's not about running it - it's about running chrome OS, and then on top of that, running the IDE and the virtual device

and to top it off, newer phones/tablets are coming out with 2+gb of ram - chromebooks can't emulate that much because they themselves barely have 2+gb of ram

Varine

Reaction score
That's exactly how Linux runs on this - on top of Chrome OS, and then whatever applications I run in Linux, typically an IDE. I mean I get that it obviously isn't going to be used for any significant amount of actual work like resource intensive games, but most applications don't require that and could be coded perfectly fine on here. And if you look at something like the Chromebook Pixel, it has some 4gb of RAM, also not a powerhouse, but enough for a phone.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
That's exactly how Linux runs on this - on top of Chrome OS

Then I guess the only major performance hit would be from emulating arm instead of x86 (which is still a significant blow to performance). - I have some pretty decent computers that still don't run the android emulators smoothly after a certain resolution (I usually stick to 720p for performance reasons), and even if I have like a 2600k CPU with 8gb of ram, I can still feel lag vs a real phone with basic actions like swiping across the screen.

Varine

Reaction score
How come the emulator is so resource heavy? It just seems like it would be comparable to running a second OS.

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
I wish I could answer your question, but unfortunately, I had left my Computer Science major.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

• Ghan
        Administrator - Servers are fun

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.