Buzzblocks (Level 1 Beta)

Grags_1977

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
I proudly present to you

The best map evah! (Buzzblocks map 1 of 10)

So, i've spent the last 2 weeks or so making the map, but around 25 years making the game... I've written the game for Basic, QBasic, YABasic(Playstation 2), VB, VB.net. And now for the second time (Yes second time. Long story... includes formating the wrong hard drive :banghead:), I bring Buzzblocks to World Editor.

Things to note:
This is the first of 10 maps, the game will get harder and much more puzzling as you progress through the campaign.

I'm not sure what to do with food for the moment and I dont like cheese that much.

When i've made the game before, it's never had any fighting in it. So i'm still in the early stages of making the fighting interesting. Ideas here will be awesome!

If you download the map please give me feedback, even if you hated it. Knowing your opinion will help me to make it better.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
tested it, few things to say, they are not in any kind of order other then how they come in my mind:

1). (typo) in the tooltip for the ability crush you wrote "Srength" instead of "Strength".

2). (Critical Bug!) when playing the map for the first time somehow after pushing the block the first time i couldnt push it any more. i pushed it up, in front of that rock, but when i went to the upside of the rock and pressed the "Down Arrow" key nothing happened. i couldnt push that rock any more.
when playing the map for a second time it worked, however, like a charm.

3). (visuell advice) maybe use a different color for damage your hero deals to the creeps and the damage dealt to you by the creeps. because right now you just see various white numbers flying around but you dont really know which belong to whom.

4). (question) what is that fighting good for? looks like a puzzle/riddle/maze type of game, why is the hero fighting green water elementals with a baseball bat?

5). (little problem) the standard wc3 pathfinding AI bugs sometimes. when you order your hero to move, for example, to the other side of the block he will go close to the block and stay there instead of running through the whole map to get to the other side. its not a bug but its disturbing.

6). (question) what is the gold good for? i couldnt see any use for it.

7). (advice) i would remove the natural hitpoint regeneration of the hero if there are runes of health dropping from the monsters.

good luck!

Grags_1977

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
1). (typo) in the tooltip for the ability crush you wrote "Srength" instead of "Strength".

Fixed :)
2). (Critical Bug!) when playing the map for the first time somehow after pushing the block the first time i couldnt push it any more. I pushed it up, in front of that rock, but when i went to the upside of the rock and pressed the "Down Arrow" key nothing happened. i couldnt push that rock any more.
when playing the map for a second time it worked, however, like a charm.

Ouch! I've never seen this before in any of my test runs, and looking through my triggers this doesn't seem possible. I'll dig deeper and try to sort this out, seems you've found something that happens 1 in a million times. How lucky!
3). (visuell advice) maybe use a different color for damage your hero deals to the creeps and the damage dealt to you by the creeps. because right now you just see various white numbers flying around but you dont really know which belong to whom.

Done :)

4). (question) what is that fighting good for? looks like a puzzle/riddle/maze type of game, why is the hero fighting green water elementals with a baseball bat?

I really agree, Like I said in my original post, the fighting is still in early days. I have been tempted to remove the fighting, and after this comment I may just do that.​

5). (little problem) the standard wc3 pathfinding AI bugs sometimes. when you order your hero to move, for example, to the other side of the block he will go close to the block and stay there instead of running through the whole map to get to the other side. its not a bug but its disturbing

Yea, this is just lazy programming. The last map I made on World Editor fixed this problem using pathing blockers. So i'll work on that right away.​

6). (question) what is the gold good for? i couldnt see any use for it.

Just a collectable. It will have benefits if you collect them all. like maybe a secret level. As the levels progress collecting the coins will get harder and harder.​

7). (advice) i would remove the natural hitpoint regeneration of the hero if there are runes of health dropping from the monsters.

Meh, I quite like the hero's health regen the way it is. Them blobs hit really hard, and there's no other means of healing throughout the level.​

Many thanks for your reply it was well thought out and descriptive which is everything any map maker would need. I have to ask though, all your comments seemed negative, was there actually anything you liked about it?

I need to figure out what i'm going to do witht the fighting, the original buzzblocks had enemies, but these enemies were never attackable, you had to trap them using a block. Which was much more puzzling and more buzzblock like. I just tried to spice things up here with a bit of action as you go. But it isn't working :(

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, of course there were alot of positive things as well but i just thought the negative critics are what makes the game become a little better. all in all its just a nice game, nothing innovative maybe, but a decently made puzzle game still is decently made.

the battle system itself isnt all that bad either. its not that i am against it. i am just not seing any connection to the rest of the game, thats all. maybe if you would make killing the monsters being a part of the riddle or puzzle it would fit in alot better.

Whoareyou.

Reaction score
First: You can't play singleplayer in Battle.net when you go to Custom Game load the map then wanna start it :[ make 2 teams just so its startable in BNet D:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

• Ghan
        Administrator - Servers are fun

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.