Tutorial Campaigns

Shall i make a tutorial for campain missions?

• Yes

Votes: 8 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
R

Ricky

Hi~Ricky

• Contents
  • Introduction
  • The layout and ideas
  • creating the campaign and adding maps
  • Game cache's and hero's
  • Summary

Introduction

Hi all. So in this tutorial I'm going to show you how to do basically everything you need to do for a campaign map.:) Some people cant make campaign maps well or just don't want to as they are single player, In any case a lot will benefit from my tutorial.:)

The layout and ideas

Before doing anything you need to think about what you are going to make. You will need to ask yourself the questions: What am i going to base it on?, Is the idea big enough to last through several maps?, What shall the main characters names be?, Will i be able to make that? There are a lot of questions you need to answer before beginning.

An easy idea to base a campaign off is use the warcraft III campaigns themselves, The main ones. As from these you can make spin-offs. One such idea could be: What happens to the blood elves after iliidan dies? In any such idea-type it should work as long as it is realistic because if something like the blood elves raise archimond is your idea it isn't very likely to happen. Admittedly it could happen but the fact that the blood elves don't have the power to do this would stop them let alone their reasons for wanting to do it.

Next you will have to think of the order of whats going to happen, why and how. It is no good to just launch straight into it as after an hour or two you will either get stuck or bored.

creating the campaign and adding maps
Once you have your ideas sorted out you need to make the actual campaign. First open up the campaign editor (picture of the book) from here you can chose the maps properties its name and what maps are in it. To add a map you simply click the "add a map" button and select the map from the files. Keep in mind that each map needs a button to do this go to the tab which lets you make button, click create a button and name the button you have to assign a button to the map now. If you go to the campaign mission select screen in-game you will see the buttons to start the missions thats what buttons are. Anyway you will want to hide all the buttons apart from the first mission's one. Keep in mind that in the missions just as you win you will need to use the trigger's to un hidden the next missions button as well as setting the next mission so when it end's the next mission will start.

Game cache's and Hero's

Game cache's are things that can store data and get it from one part of a mission to the other or from a map in the same campaign to another. You will want to save your campaigns hero to keep his level otherwise it would be unrealistic and unprofessional.To do this make a trigger like the following:

Code:
Events - boss 001 dies

conditions

actions - create a game cache called campaign's hero
           - store ranger general 001 in last created game cache
           - save last created game cache

In the next missions opening trigger you will need to put the action's in the initialization trigger.

Code:
events - map initialization

conditions

actions - (whatever you have for your initialization)
           - load game cache campaigns hero
           - unload everything in game cache campaigns hero
       (keeping in mind i do not have the editor in front of me)

It is something like that.
Now in one of your missions if the hero gets to level 10 he/she will stay there for the rest of the campaign unless of course that isn't your max level. So you will need to stop the hero's exp getting out of hand to do this make the following trigger:

Code:
events - a hero levels up

conditions - leveling up hero equal to ranger general 001
               - The level hero is leveling up to equal to 4

actions - stop exp gain for unit ranger general 001

That should keep things under control.

summary

so after reading this you should be able to make a campaign. As you will have noticed there is nothing telling you how to make campaigns missions this is because the tutorial you are reading is called Tutorial on campaigns not there maps. I have put a pole up so you should vote on me making one for the maps. Please do not post trash in this thread it is a tutorial not a chat room. Any crititism is welcome as long as it is constructive.Feedback is highly welcome

++rep is very much appreciated:D

Thanks for reading and i cant wait to see the campaigns you come up with.:)

~Ricky A.K.A Tichondrias:)

U

Ur-Quan

You could simply listen and start making quality tutorials.
Not some random junk...(no offense)

1. USE REAL TRIGGERS
2. Make tutorials, not some random hints (You just explained how to move hero from map to map)
3. Use real triggers, tutorials have 2 grades less from 5 grading system if they do not use real triggers.
4. Explain everything
5. YOU CAN'T MAKE TUTORIALS FOR BEGGINERS IF YOU DO NOT EXPLAIN THE MATTER THOROUGHTLY

...much more what I won't say...

R

Ricky

ok

OK~Ricky

1. you did this point is no.3
2. To be frank that was the whole point to explain how to move a hero from map to map keeping their exp for campaign's as thats what this tutorial is about campaign's.
3. Real triggers huh? Well to be Technical it is a real trigger but i can see were you are getting it from. My reply is: As i have said i don't have the map editor in front of me so i cant say exactly what it would look like.
4.This is the same as 5
5. If i explained it thoroughly then it wouldn't be a tutorial for beginners it would be for everyone wouldn't it?
6. if you don't say these many more how am i going to fix them?

Overview: To be myself this argumentative post is well a bit of a mess up. I am going to guess you did this in the middle of a rage or when you were very rushed. If you are going to reply to someone giving some useful argumentative information then you will have to sort it out a lot better. Organization helps with efficiency, This post was not organized. For one two of the points were repeated just expanded upon there was no need to do this.
Also you need to think your point's through carefully if you get something wrong or if there is an easy way to explain then there is no point in posting it.

Finally i am sorry for the bit above i just had to say. It is just in my nature if I was to go off subject

Ninja_sheep

Heavy is credit to team!
Reaction score
I think a camapaigne tutorial would be a good idea, because my first map will be an AoS or a campaigne map xD... and because we dont have such a tutorial here i think.

>game catch tutorial:
i think that's not clever, there's allready a gamecache tutorial here. just post the link.

the same thing with other things: if there's allready a tutorial on the website, dont make it.

R

Ricky

Hi

Hi~Ricky

Firstly thanks for your post and secondly about the game cache: Fair enough i remember faintly seeing a tutorial on it. It is just that a lot of the time my PC crashes when i click on links. Maybe it is just mine but i though maybe others have those problems and i don't want others computers to crash while reading my tutorial.

Thanks for the advice.:D

U

Ur-Quan

As I know tutorials on map making cannot be used if they do not have REAL triggers from world editor.
Links: It's only you.

Tutorial for begginers needs to be explained thoroughtly.
If I were new i would ask after reading your tutorial:
1. What the hell is game cache?
2. Can I edit game cache without triggers?
And much more game cache questions( you only mentioned game cache in your tutorial), that is why you should send them to real game cache tutorial.

About hero, no campaings ain't only about heroes and their experience, campaings are about storyline and cinematics.
Aim ofthe campaing is to hold you on playing wanting to know what next will happen, who will die, will he survive, etc.

That is aim of campaings, not one hero versus all.

And about title and explaining making campaing maps, that sucks.
Campaings ARE their maps, no map, no campaing.
So I would thiunk twice next time you make your hint tutorial.

R

Ricky

Hi

Hi~Ricky

Once again i shall state my replies i shall never run out.

Real triggers i say again i have explained that in my other post.

1. Thoroughly isn't really just if i can do this or what is it thoroughly is every little thing you can do with it including JASS actions.

2. i have explained what a game cache is and what it does i am planning on adding a question section though.

3. If there are many more you have to tell me otherwise there is no point in even posting there are many more.

4. If you read my other reply again it will clearly state: That was the point. To explain how to move a hero from one map to the other.There is nothing here of me saying that the whole campaign is just about a hero.

5. Map's and campaigns are very much different the campaign is loads of maps stored into one thing and connects it all into one. Maps are the actual things you play.

6. you keep spelling campaigns wrong

7. No it is clearly not me who should be thinking twice it is you. For one some of your points are clearly explained in the tutorial and are pointless to be posted up here again. Once again you should think through your points more clearly and present them in a suitable format.

If you are just finding more and more pointless points just to try and put my tutorial down when there is hardly anything wrong with it then i would appreciate it if you would stop.:)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
    +1
  • Varine Varine:
    Crazy how much 3d printing has come in the last few years. Sad that it's not as easily modifiable though
  • Varine Varine:
    I bought an Ender 3 during the pandemic and tinkered with it all the time. Just bought a Sovol, not as easy. I'm trying to make it use a different nozzle because I have a fuck ton of Volcanos, and they use what is basically a modified volcano that is just a smidge longer, and almost every part on this thing needs to be redone to make it work
  • Varine Varine:
    Luckily I have a 3d printer for that, I guess. But it's ridiculous. The regular volcanos are 21mm, these Sovol versions are about 23.5mm
  • Varine Varine:
    So, 2.5mm longer. But the thing that measures the bed is about 1.5mm above the nozzle, so if I swap it with a volcano then I'm 1mm behind it. So cool, new bracket to swap that, but THEN the fan shroud to direct air at the part is ALSO going to be .5mm to low, and so I need to redo that, but by doing that it is a little bit off where it should be blowing and it's throwing it at the heating block instead of the part, and fuck man
  • Varine Varine:
    I didn't realize they designed this entire thing to NOT be modded. I would have just got a fucking Bambu if I knew that, the whole point was I could fuck with this. And no one else makes shit for Sovol so I have to go through them, and they have... interesting pricing models. So I have a new extruder altogether that I'm taking apart and going to just design a whole new one to use my nozzles. Dumb design.
  • Varine Varine:
    Can't just buy a new heatblock, you need to get a whole hotend - so block, heater cartridge, thermistor, heatbreak, and nozzle. And they put this fucking paste in there so I can't take the thermistor or cartridge out with any ease, that's 30 dollars. Or you can get the whole extrudor with the direct driver AND that heatblock for like 50, but you still can't get any of it to come apart
  • Varine Varine:
    Partsbuilt has individual parts I found but they're expensive. I think I can get bits swapped around and make this work with generic shit though
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Heard Houston got hit pretty bad by storms last night. Hope all is well with TH.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Power back on finally - all is good here no damage
    +2
  • V-SNES V-SNES:
    Happy Friday!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New recipe is another summer dessert Berry and Peach Cheesecake - https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-berry-and-peach-cheesecake.194169/

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.