Tutorial Changing the Zoom During Play, not Cinematic Mode...

fredsmith909

Reaction score
Hi everyone, this is something I have wanted to do in this game for a long time now and I have found a way to make it possible!!!

When I first started Warcraft III the very first thing I did was go right to the settings for the graphics and put the resolution to the max my system would allow it at the time. I was hoping that the higher I put the pixel res, the more land I would see on screen, and therefore be able to select and see more units on screen at one time. Unfortunately, I was disappointed to see that though the graphics looked better, I still saw the same amount of land on the screen.

Needless to say, I was floored, irritated, and utterly disgusted that the main thing I was looking forward to about warcraft III to have implemented that warcraft 2 didn't was not an option. :banghead:

That was many years ago. Now I have figured out a way to do what I wanted done so long ago! And I'm going to share it with you now.

Zooming In And Out

So first to make it perfectly clear what I have figured out, I have 2 screen shots of the level of zoom during game play here:

This one is the regular game view. :thdown:

attachment.php

This one is it at 6x "Enter", "-", "Enter" later! :thup:

attachment.php

And it's really not that hard to accomplish!

The example included will show you exactly how it works and you can pretty much copy the cameras and the trigger folder that contains everything you need to make it work for player 1 red, without having to change anything. :D

http://www.thehelper.net/forums/att...9&stc=1&d=1217350376 CamerZoomingExample.w3m

Step 1: Placing the Cameras and Labeling Them

First place the cameras and name then in an ascending order. And no, it doesn't matter where you place them. It just matters how, meaning the angle and height.

attachment.php

You can do this at any heights or angles, but make sure you label them something that's easy to recognize for keeping it in the order you want. Unless your an advanced user, I would not recommend weird angles applied to your cameras until you have done something like this that's simpler to understand first. Although I haven't messed with applying different angles, the idea of being able to play a map in a series of 360 degree views sounds tantalizing!

Step 2: Coding the Individual Cameras Functions

Now we go to the Trigger Editor and make a trigger for each camera.

Uncheck "Initially On" and Label them the same name or similar to your cameras to help avoid confusion.

attachment.php

As you can see in the image above, the event basiclly repeats every 0.10 seconds of game time. And each event will be exactly the same for all the cameras.

The Action sets Red's camera Distance = to the chosen camera over 0.10 seconds. And this is the same action for each camera, just make sure that you indicate the correct camera where it says "(Distance to target of PlayerCamera1 <gen>)" you match that to the correct player for that trigger.

Step 3: Coding the Zoom Out Function

Don't be intimidated by the code, it's just a bunch of "If / Then / Else" statements. What always made these easier for me to understand was to look at this like Yoda was talking to me. :p

attachment.php

The Event is triggered when Player 1 enters the chat message "-".

The Actions just check to see if triggers are turned on or off. The first looks to see if all of the Individual Cameras Functions are all off. If they are, it turns on the first when "-" is entered, and skips any remaining actions.

The rest of the "If / Then / Else" statements that follow check to see if the corresponding Individual Cameras Function is on. If it is, then it applies the one above it, and turns off the one that it checked for.

Step 4: Coding the Zoom In Function

This is very similar to the Zoom Out trigger. It does the same thing in reverse thought.

attachment.php

The Event is triggered when Player 1 enters the chat message "+".

The Actions just check to see if triggers are turned on or off. It checks to see if the furthest viewing camera function of the Individual Cameras Functions is on. If so, it turns off that one when "+" is entered, turns on the Camera function below it, and skips any remaining actions.

The rest of the "If / Then / Else" statements that follow check to see if the corresponding Individual Cameras Function is on. If it is, then it applies the one below it until they are all turned off. At that point the last one resets the camera to the standard game view.

Step 5: Test It!

Test your map and make sure you try zooming all the way out and then back in. If something isn't working just go back over your code and compare it to mine. Have Fun Zooming!!!

A few things I wanted to point out:

My example doesn't use variables and anyone could copy the cameras and the triggers into there map and make it work! Just make sure you copy the cameras first.

Another great thing about this example is it eliminates the need to have to do code for terrain height changes, because the cameras adjust there own height by default in the game. You will notice it if you play the example.

Attachments

• CamerZoomingExample.w3m
    15.1 KB · Views: 209
  • Cameras.jpg
    Cameras.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 290
  • Code1.JPG
    Code1.JPG
    21.8 KB · Views: 340
  • Code_ZoomIn.JPG
    Code_ZoomIn.JPG
    96.9 KB · Views: 331
  • Code_ZoomOut.jpg
    Code_ZoomOut.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 356
  • RegularZoom.jpg
    RegularZoom.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 296
  • ZoomOut6.jpg
    ZoomOut6.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 308

THE_X

Reaction score
its ROC accessable, i didnt take the time to look at it since i have my own :D but im shure alot of ppl can find this useful being its ROC acceseable +Rep

duderock101

Check out my 2 Player Co-op RPG!
Reaction score
I don't know if its just me but i can't see any of the pics. They come up as [x]

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
    +1
  • Varine Varine:
    Crazy how much 3d printing has come in the last few years. Sad that it's not as easily modifiable though
  • Varine Varine:
    I bought an Ender 3 during the pandemic and tinkered with it all the time. Just bought a Sovol, not as easy. I'm trying to make it use a different nozzle because I have a fuck ton of Volcanos, and they use what is basically a modified volcano that is just a smidge longer, and almost every part on this thing needs to be redone to make it work
  • Varine Varine:
    Luckily I have a 3d printer for that, I guess. But it's ridiculous. The regular volcanos are 21mm, these Sovol versions are about 23.5mm
  • Varine Varine:
    So, 2.5mm longer. But the thing that measures the bed is about 1.5mm above the nozzle, so if I swap it with a volcano then I'm 1mm behind it. So cool, new bracket to swap that, but THEN the fan shroud to direct air at the part is ALSO going to be .5mm to low, and so I need to redo that, but by doing that it is a little bit off where it should be blowing and it's throwing it at the heating block instead of the part, and fuck man
  • Varine Varine:
    I didn't realize they designed this entire thing to NOT be modded. I would have just got a fucking Bambu if I knew that, the whole point was I could fuck with this. And no one else makes shit for Sovol so I have to go through them, and they have... interesting pricing models. So I have a new extruder altogether that I'm taking apart and going to just design a whole new one to use my nozzles. Dumb design.
  • Varine Varine:
    Can't just buy a new heatblock, you need to get a whole hotend - so block, heater cartridge, thermistor, heatbreak, and nozzle. And they put this fucking paste in there so I can't take the thermistor or cartridge out with any ease, that's 30 dollars. Or you can get the whole extrudor with the direct driver AND that heatblock for like 50, but you still can't get any of it to come apart
  • Varine Varine:
    Partsbuilt has individual parts I found but they're expensive. I think I can get bits swapped around and make this work with generic shit though
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Heard Houston got hit pretty bad by storms last night. Hope all is well with TH.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Power back on finally - all is good here no damage
    +2
  • V-SNES V-SNES:
    Happy Friday!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New recipe is another summer dessert Berry and Peach Cheesecake - https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-berry-and-peach-cheesecake.194169/

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.