Custom map ideas for review

K

KeeperofKeys

Hello everyone. I started this thread to get some opinions on ideas for a new custom game. I have toyed with lots of ideas, but these have kinda managed to stick. Anyway, here they are:

Feudal Wars: Map with terrain fortresses (including battlements, and gates that open/close when you step on a circle of power). The units would be VERY loosely based on a Warcraft 3 feudal society, such as having access to catapults, knights, maybe a special spy/traitor that could blink over walls and open gates, ect. There would be unclaimed fortresses scattered across the map, with working gates. Every fortress would have a gold mine or two, and lumber would not be an issue (The reason being that forests would be hard to work into fortresses). Mercenary camps would also be scattered across the map, with various hirable custom units. I think this map would lend itself to epic sieges, cool armies and confrontations, and would be a lot of fun to play.

Feudal Wars: Factions (No, this name is not intentionally a GW rip off, it just happened that way). Like the map idea above, only there would be different races to choose from, like the Barbarian Horde, People of the Isles, Cultists, Technologists, and maybe more. Each faction would have its strengths and weaknesses and would have a different feel to play.

Clans of Brightleaf (or some other place name): As above, only without the fortresses. Stranger and cooler units would be included to spice things up a little… suicidal demon bunnies, anyone?

Minotaur’s Maze: The first team would be the Heroes (better name would be nice, but I'm not feeling very clever right now), seeking to gain some great treasure from the bowels of the Labyrinth. The second team (One or more players, haven't decided yet)would be the minotaur(s). They would have access to one slow and big hero each, the Minotaur(s), and would also be able to train a small horde of lesser creatures to help defend the maze. At the center of the maze is a powerful treasure of some sort, and the heroes would have to grab the treasure (nominally some magic swords) by sneaking past the minotaurs and killing/avoiding the evil minions. Once the heroes had gained the swords (or died trying), the minotaurs would become the hunted. The minotaurs would still be dangerous, but the heroes would be powerful enough to take out a minotaur pretty quickly in a group. At that point the minotaurs would only be able to win by stalling long enough to wear down the heroes enough to kill them, or by surviving long enough to train some sort of Uber-monster to kill the heroes (maybe). The maze would have to be large enough to ensure replay quality, and the units would have to be variable enough to make different strategies viable.

War of the Gods: Everyone starts with a generic hero: a Godseed. You would choose your God via a LOAP-ish hero selection system that would dicate your appearance and primary attribute. That hero would have crappy stats and their only skills would be attribute bonuses (The "Yellow Cross" option in DOTA and TFT Orc campaign), and would serve as your "avatar" for the game. Then you head out to a belief node (a shop) Where you would “purchase” belief (gold) for free. Each player would have a really tough-to-kill altar where they could resurrect their god (for a certain amount of belief). There would be competition at the scarce belief nodes, because belief would not only resurrect fallen gods, but would also allow for the purchase of powerful attributes (items) to give your god cool new powers. For example, if you accumulated enough belief you could buy a high end item like a Thunder Hammer, which would let your zap your enemies. After getting enough belief you would start to “convert” (hire) followers from mercenary shops, who would go build bases and “worship” (mine gold for you). After getting enough belief, you could basically become a powerful god with many cool bonuses, abilities, and armies of followers. If you get shut out of belief, eventually you will lose by: 1: stop having enough belief to resurrect your hero and eventually have your defenseless altar wiped out, or 2: Getting annihilated by a more powerful god, altar and all. There would be lots of “attributes” (items) to customize your god with, and you could end up specializing (Ha! My guy is like THOR! What now, noob?), or just go with a hodgepodge of good items to try and stay ahead.

Anyway, these are some ideas... please give me some feedback on what you like/do not like. Just one request from me: No flaming please! Thanks.
-KeeperofKeys
Note: Feel free to post some ideas of your own here. Just please explain them well enough for any reader to understand them.

Mullit

Reaction score
i didnt read all of them cuz im just plain lazy but the fuedal wars looks good although you might have to raise the food cap or make low food units to be able to get huge fortress sieges.

th minotaur one seems ok but i think people would see it as just another maze map. maybe you could mix mazeing with escapeing. like a mini maze to an area that is more like an escape map. (escapeable from both directions so you can go back and forth away from the minotaur(s) etc)

K

KeeperofKeys

Thanks for the feedback Mullit. I really appreciate it.

I would probably raise the food cap REALLY high in Fuedal Wars, to about 200 or so. That would allow the player to have a defensive army and an offensive army, or go REALLY all out on one or the other. Also the gold mines would have a TON of gold, to avoid turtle stalemates.

The point of the Minotaur Maze would be to have a sort of competitive replayable thing going on. The maze would start out as just an empty network of corridors, and then the minotaurs would try to block off as many ways as they could to the treasure, but there would be too many passages to cover all at once. It would not be a normal maze because the Minotaur PLAYERS would be setting up the hazards and enemies, rather than have them preset on the editor. The minotaurs would have buildings to train creature minions, so they could get some scouting/blocking/fighting help. Basically, its a new sort of hunters vs. hunted with the teams switching sides if the hunted succeed at first.

Suggestions? Comments? New ideas? Post them here. I love any feedback on my ideas, so by all means POST!
-Quote of the day: "I HATE you I HATE YOU! Call me!"
-a chemically distressed Banshee (Yes, I CAN be politically correct if I want to :p)
By the way, Mullit, did you mean Feudal Wars, or Feudal Wars Factions? Did you read both, or are you just saying that they both look good?

1)ark_Knight

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
the war of the gods look really cool...and im like mullit...i didnt read em all
but isnt War of the Gods already a game?...ive seen War of the Gods and Minotuar Maze in Battle.net
did you alreay make and release them?..or am i stoned again...jk

K

KeeperofKeys

Well, I went and googled War of the Gods and sure enough, the name is taken. Oops! Name has been used, shame on me. I'm not surprised at minotaur maze either, though it IS inconvenient. Lets just call these names "working titles" because I don't know what else to call them for now. Gr...NAMESTEALERS...:mad:
Anyway, I can't possibly have released these (unless I have worked the bugs out of my time machine in the future, which is entirely possible :D) because except for the Clans of Brightleaf one I have not even started to work on them. these are, for the most part, merely ideas. If they appeal to enough people then perhaps I will sink time into them, rather than W3 or WoW... maybe... if I can overcome that World of Warcrack addiction (Curse you Blizzard, you vampires of free time! Keep making those games! No! Yes! GAH!).

Anyway, despite the hysterics, I love feedback. Please keep those posts coming, and tell me what your opinion is on the game concepts. Spending time on games that no one would ever play with you is a one-way ticket to disappointment, which is DEFINITELY something I'd like to avoid. Thanks!
-Quote of the day: "I HATE you I HATE YOU! Call me!"
-a chemically distressed Banshee (Yes, it is politically correct.:p)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Howdy
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
    +1
  • Varine Varine:
    Crazy how much 3d printing has come in the last few years. Sad that it's not as easily modifiable though
  • Varine Varine:
    I bought an Ender 3 during the pandemic and tinkered with it all the time. Just bought a Sovol, not as easy. I'm trying to make it use a different nozzle because I have a fuck ton of Volcanos, and they use what is basically a modified volcano that is just a smidge longer, and almost every part on this thing needs to be redone to make it work
  • Varine Varine:
    Luckily I have a 3d printer for that, I guess. But it's ridiculous. The regular volcanos are 21mm, these Sovol versions are about 23.5mm
  • Varine Varine:
    So, 2.5mm longer. But the thing that measures the bed is about 1.5mm above the nozzle, so if I swap it with a volcano then I'm 1mm behind it. So cool, new bracket to swap that, but THEN the fan shroud to direct air at the part is ALSO going to be .5mm to low, and so I need to redo that, but by doing that it is a little bit off where it should be blowing and it's throwing it at the heating block instead of the part, and fuck man
  • Varine Varine:
    I didn't realize they designed this entire thing to NOT be modded. I would have just got a fucking Bambu if I knew that, the whole point was I could fuck with this. And no one else makes shit for Sovol so I have to go through them, and they have... interesting pricing models. So I have a new extruder altogether that I'm taking apart and going to just design a whole new one to use my nozzles. Dumb design.
  • Varine Varine:
    Can't just buy a new heatblock, you need to get a whole hotend - so block, heater cartridge, thermistor, heatbreak, and nozzle. And they put this fucking paste in there so I can't take the thermistor or cartridge out with any ease, that's 30 dollars. Or you can get the whole extrudor with the direct driver AND that heatblock for like 50, but you still can't get any of it to come apart
  • Varine Varine:
    Partsbuilt has individual parts I found but they're expensive. I think I can get bits swapped around and make this work with generic shit though
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Heard Houston got hit pretty bad by storms last night. Hope all is well with TH.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Power back on finally - all is good here no damage
    +2
  • V-SNES V-SNES:
    Happy Friday!
    +1

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.