D2 LOD messes with my sound!

W

Wolfmoon

Here's my system:
256 mb pc-100 ram
Duron 750
LeadtekGeforce 2 mx (12.41 drivers)
Soundblaster PCI 128 4 speaker
Latest VIA drivers for the motherboard...
DirectX 8.0a

Now to the deal: After installing LOD the sound crackles. Patching didn't help. I did use to experience this in the original game, but it disappeared when I freed som IRQ.
I've turned down all hardware acceleration on the card, my IRQ's are as clean as a baby's ass... New drivers? dammit Creative doesn't support these soundcard as well as they should...

Anyway, anyone got any ideas???

N

Nelson

just a thought.. try disabling environmental sound if you have it enabled.. if it only happens with LOD...

if it happens with all Apps.. then perhaps either
a: soundcard output is a bit dirty/goin bad
b: Speaker plug is a bit dirty/goin bad
c: soundcard itself is goin bad
d: I really have no idea and am just bored and thought I would post
e: all the above except d:
f: something else

W

Wolfmoon

I have disabled it within the game... and it doesn't help..

I have no problems with other applications. No stuttering sounds in any other game.
(except Baldurs Gate 2 if I turn on 3D acc in that game... which I don't anyway so... But BG 2 is the only exception)

Is there some way to disable it manually outside the games (without lowering the hardware acceleration in Dxdiag which didn't help)??

W

Wolfmoon

I found a really weird temporary solution to the problem...

I was running the game in DirectDraw as I actually find the 3D mode in D2 quite annoying. The effect looks good at a first, but in the long run, it just gets annoying, and the sprite feel of the game is enhanced due to black borders around every little sprite. And gameplay has proven a bit unreliabel, with occational freezes in that mode.

Anyway.. I tested switching over to D3D and voila. Sound was restored. But as I don't prefer this mode, I'll have to find a better way of solving the problem.

Wargasm - Thanks for the tip, but if you read my specs above.. well... Of course if I get desperate I could test switching back to old 7.1...

Nicotine - great site! I'll try som of that out and see if it helps!

Wargasm

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
well i wondered bout one thing 100 mhz ram
the mobo does 133
odd
me gonna sleep

W

Wolfmoon

Yeah, I know... But I just don't have the money to upgrade to 133 mhz memory right now...

Odd thing is, btw, now I can't even get to choose 3d audio or EAX in LOD... oh well...

W

Wolfmoon

Agh! None of it works... Oh well.. I just have to play in lousy D3D without EAX...

(I guess I survive though, it's just darn bloody irritating)

W

Wolfmoon

In retrospective: I initially forgot to mention my motherboard: MSI K7T Pro 2-A

If it matters at all...

G

Hmm. did you check the Line In, CD Volume, AUX, TAPI, and Mic volumes? I know on my computer (SB Live) if I turn the Line In (I do have my TV card attached to it) and CD Volume up I get lots of noise and crackling.

H

Hamhawk

Me, personally, I've given up on Creative. I only use onboard audio or USB. Although I've been looking at the hercules board.

The only help I can offer is, remove the drivers completely, shutdown, pull out the card, bootup in safe mode, remove any "phantom" drivers, reboot into normal windows, doublecheck that it's gone, shutdown, put the sound card back in (use a different PCI slot), boot up and reinstall the drivers from scratch.

Good Luck!

W

Wolfmoon

Thanks guys. I'll try these too
wink.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.