Dummy build units.

maplenet2

Reaction score
Is there a way to make a scv build a "dummy unit", as in its just a temporary placeholder unit, and when that dummy unit is done constructing it will create the actual unit and replace it? I attempted to do so but it just created the actor on top of the dummy unit. It didnt really replace the unit and actor at all.

Dave312

Censored for your safe viewing
Reaction score
I'm curious as to know why you are trying to build a dummy unit? It sounds like what you are really trying to do is make the building have a construction model?

maplenet2

Reaction score
@Dave312 Yes.. that is what i am attempting to do. There could be an easier way, i don't know, but this is one of the other ways i could think of. Unless i can edit the model on 3ds max and give it the building animations, but i am not familiar with the program that much, unless you might know how to do that?

Dave312

Censored for your safe viewing
Reaction score
You can use actor events such that when your building starts construction, set the opacity to 0 (so you can't see it) and create a model addition actor (basically attach your construction model to your unit). Then when the construction phase is finished, destroy your construction model. This is similar to how the construction animations for most buildings work (construction models are created and then deleted once construction is finished). I can go into a little more detail if you like, but depending on which construction models you want to use, you may be able to use existing objects and save yourself a lot of work.

maplenet2

Reaction score
i already attached the terran construction model (small) to it. How would i apply the opacity? And once its finish building, how will i apply it to show up again?

maplenet2

Reaction score
nvm.. i got it to work by; during the unit construction i swapped the models with a blank model. When the construction finishes, i replaced the model with the auto-turret model. now it looks like it constructed normally. ty anyway

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.