Dusk and Memory / As I Walk Randomly

ertaboy356b

Old School Gamer
Reaction score
I would like to learn writing. Yeah my english sucks but that's because I've been learning english as a fourth language (the country I was born in has lots of dialects). To no further ado, here's my short poem:

Dusk and Memory
A solemn sea out of the blue,
Reflects my happy memory of you,
A flashback of sweet romance,
Flows through my mind like sands in a glass.
The sea is calm just like my heart,
The beat is like a love song's start,
The calm blue sky shifts to indigo,
Cause time goes by, remember me so.

As I Walk Randomly

So I walk around and around,
Feeling the warmth of the world,
Seeing and hearing things and sounds,
Without fear upon the high roads.
As I walk by a street full of flowers and stuff,
Also stumble on a place where I see people’s crafts,
Along the road of nothing but green,
It was a peaceful day or so it seems.
The cold breeze blew into my nose,
And sends me chilling up to the bones,
I wasn't afraid, I must face the world,
It’s what I want, that’s why I’m bold.
So far it’s been an empty white place,
With nothing but cold flakes and haze,
A winter wonderland of frozen rain,
Which calms my mind and eases my pain.
Sands on the shore, what a solemn place,
And yes it’s warm, relaxation phase,
The sea is big, the sky is blue,
You know that place where coconuts grew.
And so I ran towards that big ocean room,
And swam over a mile from shore,
The warmth of the sea melts my cold desires,
My wandering mind, the fuel of the fire.

KMilz

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Looks like you had fun. I thought the line in the first poem, "The beat is like a love song's start," to be well done. To be critical, it was the only one that really roused any sense of imagery besides the fourth line, which is worded kinda weird and makes you stop and think about it. I enjoyed it for a nice, quick read, though.

ertaboy356b

Old School Gamer
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. I guess I really need to develop a way to put image into words. Any tips in poem writing?

KMilz

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Nope, I'm no good at writing. They were still pretty nice, it's just more beneficial to hear what's not perfect about them than to get empty praise.

KaerfNomekop

Swim, fishies. Swim through the veil of steel.
Reaction score
I find the tenses a bit confusing to follow, but maybe that's just me.

Halahan

To die will be an awfully big adventure.
Reaction score
good: ideas, themes present, rhyming, some of the writing. Especially since english is not your native language, this is very impressive
How you could improve: The poem lacks rhythm. If you meant for it to be more of a free verse type poem, then no worries, if not, work on that. Overall its not bad. Really the best advice I can give is just read a bunch of English poetry. Keep reading it and reading it, that will be your best teacher.
Also "And sends me chilling up to the bones". That's not really an expression, your bones are everywhere, not just at the top of you. It would be more something like 'And sends me chills straight to my bones' or something.

ertaboy356b

Old School Gamer
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips, I'm reading some poetry over the internet right now. I might write another next time, maybe when I'm not busy with programming work.

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
Dusk and Memory
A solemn sea out of the blue,
Reflects my happy memory of you,
A flashback of sweet romance,
Flows through my mind like sands in a glass.
The sea is calm just like my heart,
The beat is like a love song's start.
Hey, I like your poem !

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Varine Varine:
    They are pretty much disposable. I have shitty nozzles though, and I don't think these were designed for how hot I've run them
  • Varine Varine:
    I tried to extract it but the thing is pretty stuck. Idk what else I can use this for
  • Varine Varine:
    I'll throw it into my scrap stuff box, I'm sure can be used for something
  • Varine Varine:
    I have spare parts for like, everything BUT that block lol. Oh well, I'll print this shit next week I guess. Hopefully it fits
  • Varine Varine:
    I see that, despite your insistence to the contrary, we are becoming a recipe website
  • Varine Varine:
    Which is unique I guess.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Actually I was just playing with having some kind of mention of the food forum and recipes on the main page to test and see if it would engage some of those people to post something. It is just weird to get so much traffic and no engagement
  • The Helper The Helper:
    So what it really is me trying to implement some kind of better site navigation not change the whole theme of the site
  • Varine Varine:
    How can you tell the difference between real traffic and indexing or AI generation bots?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.