Tutorial Item Recovery Tutorial

B

benj_war3

Item Recovery Tutorial by benj_war3

INTRODUCTION
The item recovery tutorial is very easy to make. I added a map too.

CHAPTER ONE- SPECIAL EFFECT

This is the easiest part of the tutorial. The special effect is the effect attached to the overhead of the quest giver. The exclamation mark is the most unique. Before we create the special effect, we should have variables ready. We should create a special effect variable array.
1.) Variable- Special Effect array.

That's it!

CHAPTER ONE - PART ONE

Now to put the special effect on the overhead of the quest giver.
For the event, we're going to use the Map Initialization Event. And for the actions, just set it and set the variable. Way to easy.. I'll post it up..

Code:
Events
    Map initialization
Actions
    Special Effect - Create a special effect attached to the overhead of Soldier 0001 <gen> using Abilities\Spells\Other\TalkToMe\TalkToMe.mdl
    Set QuestEffect[1] = (Last created special effect)

*Phew.. We're done with Chapter One..

CHAPTER TWO- QUEST RECEIVE TRIGGER

In this chapter, we're going to receive the quest from the quest giver of course...
For the event, we're going to use the Player-selects a Unit for the normal way. And we need to know who you are selecting. For this tutorial, I used the Soldier.

Code:
Events
    Player - Player 1 (Red) Selects a unit
Conditions
    (Triggering unit) Equal to Soldier 0001 <gen>
    ((Region centered at (Position of Soldier 0001 <gen>) with size (400.00, 400.00)) contains Mountain King 0002 <gen>) Equal to True

For the Region centered at (Position of Soldier 0001 <gen>) with size (400.00, 400.00)) contains Mountain King 0002 <gen>) Equal to True. It is in Boolean, Unit in Region, Convert coordinates in region and done.

CHAPTER TWO-PART TWO- QUEST RECEIVE

For the actions, we're going to destroy the special effect we created earlier.
Code:
Special Effect - Destroy QuestEffect[1]
Create a quest variable and name it to your desired name..

And create the quest.. After you create the quest, remember to set the quest variable.

Code:
Quest - Create a Required quest titled Quest Item   with the description The Soldier asked y..., using icon path ReplaceableTextures\CommandButtons\BTNGlyph.blp
Quest - Display to (All players) the Quest Discovered message: |cffFFFF00Quest Rec...
Set ItemRecoveryQuest = (Last created quest)

Pretty easy huh?

After I created the quest, I created another special effect and it's a random object effect. Just do the same thing I did earlier.

Code:
Special Effect - Create a special effect attached to the overhead of Soldier 0001 <gen> using Objects\RandomObject\RandomObject.mdl
Set QuestEffect[2] = (Last created special effect)

I didn't put cinematics in this tutorial to make it fast. And remember to create the quest item in a certain region. And create another trigger and turn it to "INITIALLY OFF" - That's is very important.
Final Look:

Code:
Events
Conditions
    ((Region centered at (Position of Soldier 0001 <gen>) with size (400.00, 400.00)) contains Mountain King 0002 <gen>) Equal to True
Actions
    Special Effect - Destroy QuestEffect[1]
    Quest - Display to (All players) the Quest Discovered message: |cffFFFF00Soldier:|...
    Special Effect - Create a special effect attached to the overhead of Soldier 0001 <gen> using Objects\RandomObject\RandomObject.mdl
    Set QuestEffect[2] = (Last created special effect)
    Quest - Create a Required quest titled Quest Item   with the description The Soldier asked y..., using icon path ReplaceableTextures\CommandButtons\BTNGlyph.blp
    Quest - Display to (All players) the Quest Discovered message: |cffFFFF00Quest Rec...
    Set ItemRecoveryQuest = (Last created quest)
    Unit - Create 1 Gnoll Overseer for Neutral Hostile at (Center of Enemy Spawn <gen>) facing Default building facing degrees
    Item - Create Quest Item at (Center of QuestItem <gen>)
    Trigger - Turn on QuestFind <gen>
    Trigger - Turn off (This trigger)

CHAPTER THREE- FINDING THE ITEM

This is very easy.. The hero acquires the item and returns it.
Code:
Events
    Unit - A unit Acquires an item
Conditions
    (Item-type of (Item being manipulated)) Equal to Quest Item

And for the actions, we're going to update the quest so we could return it to the quest giver. Create another trigger than finishes the quest and turn it to "INITIALLY OFF" Again.

Code:
Actions
    Quest - Display to (All players) the Quest Update message: Return the Quest It...
    Trigger - Turn on QuestFinish <gen>

CHAPTER THREE- FINISHING

For the finishing, just do what I did in the start. And remove the item from the hero.

Code:
Events
Conditions
Actions
    Special Effect - Destroy QuestEffect[2]
    Quest - Display to (All players) the Quest Completed message: |cffFFFF00Soldier:|...
    Quest - Mark ItemRecoveryQuest as Completed
    Item - Remove (Item carried by Mountain King 0002 <gen> of type Quest Item)
    Trigger - Turn off (This trigger)

GOOD LUCK!

Attachments

• Item Recovery Tutorial.w3x
    14.7 KB · Views: 186

Trollvottel

never aging title
Reaction score
Hm kinda useless, with this tutorial you can do things only with preplaced units and you didnt say what "item recovery" is for. And you said the system would be very easy to make but _why_ do you make a tutorial for something that is easy anyway?

so 0.5/5 points from me

GoGo-Boy

You can change this now in User CP
Reaction score
Got to agree with trollvottel... and I really dunno why you're posting so many tutorials though you aren't very experienced yourself.
Okay, you're right your stuff is easy, but hack it is too easy. Most people will learn this stuff in 5mins WITHOUT a tutorial...
Perhaps someone may find this useful.. but there won't be a lot.

And one thing to your written form.

And create the quest.. After you create the quest, remember to set the quest variable.

After I created the quest, I created another special effect and it's a random object effect. Just do the same thing I did earlier.

Use one only :S

GoGo-Boy

You can change this now in User CP
Reaction score
There's really no problem with your affinity to help others, but you gotta understand that you better get in shape to do this effectively.

~GaLs~

† Ғσſ ŧħə ѕαĸε Φƒ ~Ğ䣚~ †
Reaction score
Daxtreme said:
* Only submit complete resources - do not put anything unfinished here. This includes, but isn't limited to half-complete tutorials, WIP spells, "will upload it tomorrow" systems and similar submissions. If you want to promote your unfinished work then there are other forums for that, namely Members' Projects.
* Submissions with memory leaks will not be approved. Read tutorials on how to remove them if you don't know what they are.
* You must include a prefix so we know what is the submission. If it is a spell, include the [Spell] prefix ([Spellpack] for more than 1 spell). If it is a system, the [System] prefix applies. For code snippets, the prefix is [Snippet], for tutorials: [Tutorial], for models: [Model], and for textures: [Texture].
* Please be descriptive. Describe your spell, your system, your snippet, or your tutorial. Especially tutorials and systems.
* If your submission requires a system or model in order to work, state it and credit the maker. An example of system would be the CSCache, the Local Handle Vars, and the such.
* Please add at least 1 screenshot of your system/spell/snippet in action. Pictures are highly recommended in tutorials, depending on your subject.
* Upload the map as an attachment rather than using some file hosting site. It probably wouldn't take much of your upload space and this way you can be sure that it will stay up as long as the site itself is.
* We want Quality, not Quantity. Thus, submit only what you think is good! If your post contains something like "check out my crappy spell" it will hit graveyard right away.
* Don't use a poll. It's a much better idea to simply use the already built-in thread rating system (the stars).
* Please, please, avoid spelling and grammar mistakes. Make your submission clean and presentable.

This shouldn't be counted as tutorial as well, it is far too short.
In the current condition, I will rather give 0.1/100 rating. :(

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.