Tutorial Making Heroes

duyen

Reaction score
This is a short tutorial for beginner map makers that gives tips and an example of how to make a good hero. To start you need to ask yourself some question like:

What attribute should my hero have?
What model should my hero use?
Should it be Melee or Ranged?

Attributes
Alright let's start with the first question, What attribute should my hero have?
The attribute of a hero determines what it specializes in. Strength specializes in taking a whole ton of damage and having a fast HP regen. rate. Agility specializes in lots of armor and a quick attack speed. Intelligence specializes in massive amounts of mana to casts loads of spells non stop.

Abilities

I'm going to use Strength and my hero's name will be Crusher (uses a Magnataur model). But first I can't just create a magnataur and turn it into a hero, I must base it off a different hero. In this case, I'll base it off a Tauren Chieftain since he has the Strength Attribute. Next I'll change it's model to Magnataur where it says Art - Model File.
herotutpic2mt8.png

Then I want to change it's Sounds at Sound - Unit Sound to Magnataur. Finally i should change the
Art - Game Interface Icon to Magnataur.
herotutpic3ub5.png

Now I want to think about what ability's it will have. A normal hero has 1 passive normal move, 1 misc. move, one combat move and a Ultimate move which varies. If you want you can create your own abilities. An easy way to make an original ability is using a negative value to turn negative values on go to File>Preferences>Allow negative values. (e.g. Healing wave with -100 damage healed deals 100 damage to the targets.)
herotutpic4qr7.png

In this case I will use Blizzard made abilities.

Combat Move: Shockwave

Misc. Move: Immolation

Passive Move: Cleaving Attack

Ultimate: Avatar

herotutorialpic1ij5.png

Now I'm going to adjust the cost to 100 gold and 100 lumber. (You may configure the gold and lumber for whatever your using.)

Now I have a hero that has abilities, an attribute and a model file. (Everything I tell you from now on is optional.)

Attachments

Attachment's are what really make the hero look distinctive. To learn how to create and use attachments read the tutorial at http://world-editor-tutorials.thehelper.net/attachments.php

Now I want an attachment that makes the Crusher hands to be on fire. I'm going to choose the Archmage Projectile and under Target Attachment Point 1: I'm putting 'Hand, Left' and for Target Attachment Point 2: I'm putting 'Hand, Right' then I add the ability to the Crusher.

Tinting
Tinting can be a minor thing, or can make the unit look altogether different. Tinting is the "coloring" of the model file.

255 Green,
255 Red,
and 255 Blue is the standard color for the hero. If you want it to look green you lower the blue and red number and vice versa. But I want him to look sort of fiery so I'm going to change his tinting to:
55 Green
255 Red
55 Blue

Other Info

Want your heroes' to go past/below level ten? Go to the top of the World Editor where it says "Advanced" click on that then click "Game Constants" (Not "Game Interface") Then check "Custom Game Constants", finally scroll down to where it says "Hero - Maximum Level" and change it to the value you wish it to be at.

Now you know how to make Great, Original heroes. So what are you waiting for? Start map-making! Please give me feedback.​

pheonixashes

Those who misplace trust in gods learn their fate.
Reaction score
Meh, it's a bit short, and you should post a bit more to get used to the site.

Plus, it's not always "1 passive normal move, 1 misc. move, one combat move and a Ultimate move which varies." Take a look at the Beast Master:

3 Summoning: (Summon Bear, Summon Quilbeast, Summon Hawk)
1 Channeling: (Stampede)

And the Lich:

1 Combat: (Frost Nova)
1 Self-Support: (Dark Ritual)
1 Support: (Frost Armor)
1 Channeling: (Death and Decay)

And finally, the hero's moves are a bit unbalanced. I know it's a tutorial... but still...
Shockwave = Powerful Line attack.
Immolation = Powerful tanking move.
Cleaving Attack = Powerful tanking/damage dealing move.

Plus, what are you gonna add for the next section?

duyen

Reaction score
Thank you for pointing that out but I didn't want to write a lengthy guide going into depth just about the abilities and balancing them I just used a standard format.

Tinki3

Special Member
Reaction score
>Meh, it's a bit short

Exactly what I was thinking, and it wouldn't really help beginners too much.
Yes it would do something to help, but not alot IMO.

For some inspiration, check out some other hero making tutorials.

Anachron

Reaction score
Add ability balancing
Add stats balancing
Add describtion of the hero examples?!

.... short but not worse :)

Blackveiled

Formerly, Ban-Lord
Reaction score
This needs some more stuff, the only stuff that actually involves a hero in this tut is the attributes and abilities. And the description is how could I say this, bland?

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This tutorial is way too short.

First of all you forgot an important point: Heroes can only be based off heroes. You cannot create a custom hero off, say, a footman.

Second, 50% of this tutorial is about general things, such as attachment and tinting. They do not only refer to heroes.

Third, it needs more stuff. Talk about custom spells, balancing, and the Hero Glow... They also can use items.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.