Tutorial Making units available/unavailable a la Berserker Upgrade

T

Tubba

This isn't as straightforward as it may seem, and can be quite complicated if you don't know what to do. Let's get straight to business.

Say that you have a Tower Defense, and want one or more towers to change when you finish your upgrade. You'll probably tear your hair over and over trying to figure out how they do. I'll show step-by-step how to do this.

First, make sure the building/unit you want to make the units can train BOTH the normal and upgraded (post-reasearch) unit.
Then, you need to make a few things.
1. Make a new Upgrade. Give it two effects:
Code:
Effect 1: Unit availability Change
Effect 1 - Unit Type Affected: Normal Unit (Pre-research)
Effect 1 - Availability: Unavailable
Effect 2:  Unit Availability Change
Effect 2 - Unit Type Affected: Upgraded unit (Post-research)
Effect 2 - New Availability Type:  Available
The two other parts will show up when you set the effect to Unit Availability Change. Or, if you just want to make it simple, base it of Berserker Upgrade (Orc section).

Next, base an ability of Chaos (Siege engine) or Berserker Upgrade (Headhunter). Simply set Siege Engine (Barrage)/Troll Berserker to the Upgraded unit (Post-research). Set the requirement to the upgrade you just made.

Give the ability to the NORMAL unit (Pre-research).

Now, there's one thing left, and for me, the hardest to figure out. Why can't you make Berserkers from the start?
Very simple. It's in the Melee Game Rule trigger.
Make a trigger set like this:

Code:
Event - Map Init
Condition - 
Pick every player in (All Players) and do (Player - Set Unit Availability) Make (Upgraded Unit (Post-research)) unavailable for training.

If you want several units to be affected by one upgrade, make one ability and upgrade for each unit, and then just do like this:
Code:
Event - A Unit Finishes an research
Condition - Research researched equal to (Upgrade Unit 1)
Action - Set research level of (Upgrade Unit 2) to 1
Set research level of (Upgrade Unit 3) to 1)
//Repeat as neccesary

Hope this helped :D

Questions or comments? Please post.

NapaHero

Back from the dead...
Reaction score
All Players doesn't leak and you shouldn't destroy it.

I'm still a bit confused with this tutorial. However, it helped me. For that, +rep.

hi_im_bob

......and you are?
Reaction score
Maybe im talking about doing something differnt but wouldnt it be easier to make a new upgrade based off of the orc upgrade Reinforced Defences?

T

Tubba

Yeah, I guess you could. You could probably base it off Barrage or Berserker Upgrade too. I'm just showing you can do it from scratch.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.