4) Importing the Files
5) Conclusion

- The Help Dialog and the Tips dialog under the Menu

HelpDialog.jpg

- Help Dialog

TipsDialog.jpg

- Tips Dialog

1) Introduction
This is a simple tutorial on how to edit the contents of the 'Help' and 'Tips' dialogs in the menu of Warcraft III and the TFT expansion, making your map unique and cool.:shades:

Instead of putting tips in the Quests dialog, you can put all the neccesary info and tips for your maps, in these dialogs.

2) Getting Started
You need these tools before you can proceed:
- MPQMaster (get it here)
- Notepad

Open MPQ Master. Click File -->Open. Find the war3.mpq inside the Warcraft III Directory, once you've found it, click the MPQ file and click Open. Use the Warcraft III listfile or the native listfile as the MPQ's listfile. Once opened, double-click the UI folder in the MPQ.

Find the Helpstrings.txt and Tipstrings.txt files, which contains all the necessary contents of the Help and Tips dialogs in the Game Menu.

NOTE: Don't forget to open the MacHelpStrings.txt. MacHelpStrings.txt is the text shown in the Help dialog when you play Warcraft III in a Mac. If you don't include that, if your map is played in a Mac then the Help dialog will be set to default.

Then extract both of those files. You can extract them in any folder, but you must NOT extract the files with a different file name.

3) Editing- A) Help Menu
Open the Helpstrings.txt or MacHelpStrings.txt using Notepad. The editing is up to you.

For best results, it's best that you type the hotkeys of all of your custom units and type the game modes that the players or host can type. Type all necessary info say some affiliated sites or email addresses or map download locations.

Once you've finished editing the HelpStrings.txt file and the MacHelpStrings.txt file, save those with the same filenames.

- B) Tips Menu
The contents of the TipStrings are much more different that the HelpStrings file.

It has that 'TipCount=60' at the top. That means 60 are the maximum amount of tips that can be used. TipCount can be edited if you have a lot of tips for players.

WARNING: If you have more tips than the max number of tips set in TipCount, then the excess tips will not be shown in-game. If the max number of tips in tipcount are higher than the number of tips created, well, the blank tips will be blank.

A tip's format is like this: (Example) Tip2="This is a custom tip"

Type your tips, and make sure that the tip descriptions are covered in the " signs. One example of a tip is like this.

Tip1="When you are out of ammo, you can't attack. Simply press R to reload or press M to use another magazine to continue the battle. If you're out of magazines, go back to your base and get some ammo for all of your weapons from the Ammo Warehouse, including bazooka ammo and SMG ammo belts, but you'll have to spend some of your |cfffcc00Credits|r for that."

Once you've done editing, save the file with the same filename.

4) Importing the Files
Open the World Editor. Create a new map from scratch or open an existing map. Then go to Import Manager (A page icon with a green arrow pointing left <--), then click Import (Ctrl+I). Import the Helpstrings.txt file and the TipStrings.txt files into your map.

Then right click the files, select the Modify File Properties. Check the Use Custom Path checkbox. Change the path of both files to UI\<the name of the file>. Then click OK.

Path: UI\<filename>

Save your map, then play the map in Warcraft III by clicking the Test Map button (With the Checkbox icon with a red check).

Click the Menu (F10) button, and click either Help or Tips dialogs. You'll see that the contents of those dialogs are customized and different. It would be then like this (my own text):

CustomHelpDialog.jpg

CustomTipsDialog.jpg

5) Conclusion
Hope you got it all right. You can read this tutorial again if you don't get it. :confused: This can also work and function in a RoC World Editor or a RoC map. Import files in the RoC map using WinMPQ, and then do the steps above except the import manager stuff.

Have fun making your own Help and Tips dialogs!!

B

bobdabuilder

well i appreciate this tutorial greatly... but if the files are the same for everyone could you just upload the Helpstrings.txt and Tipstrings.txt files as well as the Machelpstrings.txt... i tried to follow ur instructions but the program i used to view the files... apparently had maxium size to the list and thust any excess files would not be shown... meaning that it compiled the list fine but had a maximum of say 500 lines... so i could basically see every file from undead unit sounds down.... but everything above that was not shown (make sense?)

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't quite see how this can be useful as no one really look in the Help Menu :p

Cool stuff though :cool:

Tom Jones

N/A
Reaction score
Daxtreme said:
I don't quite see how this can be useful as no one really look in the Help Menu
Indeed, most mappers use the quest log for game information.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
    +1
  • Varine Varine:
    Crazy how much 3d printing has come in the last few years. Sad that it's not as easily modifiable though
  • Varine Varine:
    I bought an Ender 3 during the pandemic and tinkered with it all the time. Just bought a Sovol, not as easy. I'm trying to make it use a different nozzle because I have a fuck ton of Volcanos, and they use what is basically a modified volcano that is just a smidge longer, and almost every part on this thing needs to be redone to make it work
  • Varine Varine:
    Luckily I have a 3d printer for that, I guess. But it's ridiculous. The regular volcanos are 21mm, these Sovol versions are about 23.5mm
  • Varine Varine:
    So, 2.5mm longer. But the thing that measures the bed is about 1.5mm above the nozzle, so if I swap it with a volcano then I'm 1mm behind it. So cool, new bracket to swap that, but THEN the fan shroud to direct air at the part is ALSO going to be .5mm to low, and so I need to redo that, but by doing that it is a little bit off where it should be blowing and it's throwing it at the heating block instead of the part, and fuck man
  • Varine Varine:
    I didn't realize they designed this entire thing to NOT be modded. I would have just got a fucking Bambu if I knew that, the whole point was I could fuck with this. And no one else makes shit for Sovol so I have to go through them, and they have... interesting pricing models. So I have a new extruder altogether that I'm taking apart and going to just design a whole new one to use my nozzles. Dumb design.
  • Varine Varine:
    Can't just buy a new heatblock, you need to get a whole hotend - so block, heater cartridge, thermistor, heatbreak, and nozzle. And they put this fucking paste in there so I can't take the thermistor or cartridge out with any ease, that's 30 dollars. Or you can get the whole extrudor with the direct driver AND that heatblock for like 50, but you still can't get any of it to come apart
  • Varine Varine:
    Partsbuilt has individual parts I found but they're expensive. I think I can get bits swapped around and make this work with generic shit though
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Heard Houston got hit pretty bad by storms last night. Hope all is well with TH.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Power back on finally - all is good here no damage
    +2
  • V-SNES V-SNES:
    Happy Friday!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New recipe is another summer dessert Berry and Peach Cheesecake - https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-berry-and-peach-cheesecake.194169/

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.