RE: iqchicken, about JASS...

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Disgusted

I am sorry, the guy was a guest and the post is closed, I have no other way to reply.
--

First iqchicken said:

iqchicken said:
I'm just curious here, so don't flame me before reading...

Why would anyone waste their time learning JASS? It must be out of sheer morbid curiosity that you would spend hours learning a language only suitable for modding an increasingly AGED game (warcraft 3 for you geniuses).
The reason to learn JASS is to waste less time than the time one wastes to use GUI. So the intention is not to waste time but to save time, because as you just said it is just an old game, if we can do something to waste less time on it but still have fun then we go ahead.

Good, fun maps can easily be created using only GUI triggers..
Yes, but it will take more time.

and yes... i admit.. there is cool stuff you can do with JASS.. but why? The average map maker will spend hours, days, and for some pasty reptiles.. YEARS making a map.. only for people to join and say, "this map is gay".. or.. "this is cool".. but then close w3 and load up the new BF2 mod.. never to play this "wonderful" map creation again.

It is fun to make maps. I developed a map for 3 years. And have a lot of fun playing it with my brother in our own LAN. I don't care about bnet kiddies or people that prefer newer games just because they are newer. It was fun to make the maps and research JASS stuff. Invent things and that kind of stuff. Creativity was easier to archieve in JASS than in GUI.

Where's the reward in it? You aren't getting paid, the intellectual reward can't REALLY be that stimulating can it?

Coding in JASS and making tools to improve it was really helpful for my first year in college. I happened to be the first in the programming courses. Also JASS has HELPED ME UNDERSTAND POINTERS AND THE USAGE OF DYNAMIC MEMORY IN C++ .

99/100 of you won't be successful game producers of any kind...

It is fun! It is just a game I did not make it thinking that it would make me a *game producer* Also if anything modding would be a training for "GAME DESIGNER" not "GAME PRODUCER"

and if it is just a hobby.. then it seems to be the least rewarding hobby EVER!

You sound like a guy that is too lazy to move from GUI to JASS. So you use GUI so you are in the same hobby. No hobby is actually rewarding...

Again... I'm really just curious why you would want to learn it.. I'm really NOT trying to insult anyone.
But you did.
If you spent all this time learning a real programming language, with applications in the real world.. such as C++ or something... then you would be actually helping yourself...

JASS is a good way to help boys enter in the world of programming and later mess with "real programming languages" (I guess you are talking about programming languages that compile to native code, cause both GUI and JASS are programming languages)

THAT is a hobby you should get behind..because it will lead you into a profitable career (if you're good).
Programming Careers are nothing about programming languages. But about SOLVING PROBLEMS USING ALGORYTHMS , in fact I spend more time with pseudo code and theory than with c++ or languages. Languages are extra assigments. And you can practice problem solving as well in JASS or GUI (but since the tools are more flexible in JASS, it is easier there)

Learning JASS SEEMS TO BE the intellectual equivalent of climbing a wall to get into a jail cell.
For your lazy mind that is cheating itself maybe.

Again... I'm really just curious why you would want to learn it.. I'm really NOT trying to insult anyone.
[/quote]

---

Then to make it worse:
guest said:
He is uber rightness!
Thanks for unmasking yourself, iqchicken.

JASS is a waste of time

Almost everything is a waste of time.

let's get into a serious discussion about this.
Then please be serious.
Learn C++, or PHP,

C++ and php are not too good for making code that warcraft can read. You can use c++ to create natives but that won't be helpful in battle.net and to actually make useful natives you need to reverse engineer the game's engine and that's illegal.

Should I tell you to learn LISP or prolog for your web development? Nope, LISP and prolog are great for things like logic and Artificial Intelligence but won't really help your web page . There aren't even any implementations of lisp or prolog for web programming. Then why would you use LISP instead of PHP?

This is a hobby and the intention is to make wc3 maps / AI . Is it a waste of time? Yes. Is it fun? At least for me it was fun...

get into application or web programming you n00bies.

h4x0rs out.

Thanks for showing your immaturity of.

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
rofl

Well I can't disagree with you. I want to learn JASS better, I wish to use JASS better than I do right now. I also think that no one here will disagree with you, as in the JASS forums I think that everyone uses JASS and doesn't think it's useless... no?

Anyways maybe what you did by replying to a closed thread wasn't the right thing to do, but you still pwned him hard. I loved to read that reply ;)

iqchicken said:
let's get into a serious discussion about this.

I think all your posts will be closed but whatever... If they aren't :

First : You are alone vs all the users reading these forums iqchicken.
Second : Your point is already broken by Disgusted and Acehart (previous thread) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
    +1
  • Varine Varine:
    Crazy how much 3d printing has come in the last few years. Sad that it's not as easily modifiable though
  • Varine Varine:
    I bought an Ender 3 during the pandemic and tinkered with it all the time. Just bought a Sovol, not as easy. I'm trying to make it use a different nozzle because I have a fuck ton of Volcanos, and they use what is basically a modified volcano that is just a smidge longer, and almost every part on this thing needs to be redone to make it work
  • Varine Varine:
    Luckily I have a 3d printer for that, I guess. But it's ridiculous. The regular volcanos are 21mm, these Sovol versions are about 23.5mm
  • Varine Varine:
    So, 2.5mm longer. But the thing that measures the bed is about 1.5mm above the nozzle, so if I swap it with a volcano then I'm 1mm behind it. So cool, new bracket to swap that, but THEN the fan shroud to direct air at the part is ALSO going to be .5mm to low, and so I need to redo that, but by doing that it is a little bit off where it should be blowing and it's throwing it at the heating block instead of the part, and fuck man
  • Varine Varine:
    I didn't realize they designed this entire thing to NOT be modded. I would have just got a fucking Bambu if I knew that, the whole point was I could fuck with this. And no one else makes shit for Sovol so I have to go through them, and they have... interesting pricing models. So I have a new extruder altogether that I'm taking apart and going to just design a whole new one to use my nozzles. Dumb design.
  • Varine Varine:
    Can't just buy a new heatblock, you need to get a whole hotend - so block, heater cartridge, thermistor, heatbreak, and nozzle. And they put this fucking paste in there so I can't take the thermistor or cartridge out with any ease, that's 30 dollars. Or you can get the whole extrudor with the direct driver AND that heatblock for like 50, but you still can't get any of it to come apart
  • Varine Varine:
    Partsbuilt has individual parts I found but they're expensive. I think I can get bits swapped around and make this work with generic shit though
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Heard Houston got hit pretty bad by storms last night. Hope all is well with TH.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Power back on finally - all is good here no damage
    +2
  • V-SNES V-SNES:
    Happy Friday!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New recipe is another summer dessert Berry and Peach Cheesecake - https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-berry-and-peach-cheesecake.194169/

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.