Recreating a Warcraft-3/Starcraft-2 like editor

envenger

Reaction score
Hello Everyone...

I have left Warcraft-3 world editor for almost 3 years now and went into serious game development.

I have used World editor for more than 4 years. But at various places, I found World Edtior to be really really limiting and after hitting a wall a few times, I just had to quit my project.

A year or so later, some how I went back into game development. I started with UDK and then move into Unreal Engine 4 when it released.

So currently I am freelancing on a project which is kind of similar to DOTA.
I have written a lot of base classes which made character development in Unreal Engine 4 as easy as development in Warcraft-3 but still give enough unlimited amount of freedom.

I am just asking opinion regarding it here. I was thinking to create an editor similar to worldedtior/ galaxy editor but much more flexible compared to it. Since Unreal Engine 4 is free for non-commercial use now, there would be no problem to use it like world edtior and you can even release a commercial game with it without much issues.

This would be more or less like a side project for me. Along with the edtior I plan to work on an example game where developers can learn advance features of the framework and Unreal Engine 4.

Also Unreal Engine 4 has c++ as its programming language and has a nice visual scripting system called blueprint which is easy to learn and pretty powerful, so if any one doesn't want to program, they can use it.

I don't know if this is the best place to post this but I couldn't find any forum appropriate for this kind of post. So let me know what you all thing regarding this.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
I wanted to do a project like this a while ago, but it was more designed as a simplistic game engine/network that would basically be like a standalone Battle.net. My idea was that you would have an engine that was similar in use to the World Editor and then have a client that would actually run the game and handle the networking system for online connectivity, with a Steam-like market where you could buy and download custom games made with the engine, and a list to find current games. But, that was a long time ago when I thought I would be a really good programmer by now. I guess literally like a standalone Bnet. I still really want to do it, but I'm not significantly closer after like five years of work.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.