Crime Starbucks: Slave and Child Labour found at certified coffee farms in Minas Gerais

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
An exclusive investigation reveals cases of illegal deductions from employees’ wages as well as lack of toilets and protective equipment in properties that hold the seal of ‘ethical acquisition’ granted by the multinational. Workers’ representatives point out flaws in audits

Starbucks – the world’s largest and most famous coffeehouse chain, with 35,000 points of sale in 83 countries – is unable to guarantee that the coffee sold at its stores is not associated with serious labor and human rights crimes such as low wages, harvest workers eating cold meals, inadequate accommodation and even child and slave labor.

At least four properties experienced problems like this while they were still supplying the US-based multinational. The cases are portrayed in the report “Behind Starbucks coffee,” published by Repórter Brasil (available in Portuguese and English).

The document shows that coffee farms in Minas Gerais state where Ministry of Labour and Employment inspectors found violations hold – or held until recently – the C.A.F.E. Practices seal, which stands for Coffee and Farmer Equity. That is the certification program that, according to Starbucks, evaluates suppliers according to more than 200 indicators related to transparency, quality, social and environmental responsibility.

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
I never get it but my roommate gets the beans and grinds them. I doubt he will stop because of this.

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
There is no backlash from this. Looks like Starbucks will keep on keeping on because nobody gives a fuck apparently.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.