TheHelper Chat Tutorial and Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
ChatTut1.png

The Helper Chat still remains unknown and confusing to many users; because of this I have decided to make a tutorial explaining the instructions and the basics of TheHelper Chat room.

Table of Contents

• Requirements
    [*]Registering/Log in
    • Registering
    • Logging In
  • Operators and User Ranks
    [*]Basic Commands
    [*]Channels
    [*]Other Topics & Basic Troubleshooting
    • Common Logging In Errors
    • Other IRC Programs
    • StatBot
    • Ignoring and Un-Ignoring Users
    • Bold and Underline
    • Ghost Command
    • Color Commands
  • Advance Problem Solving
    [*]Credits/List of Operators and Staff

Requirements

The Chat does have minimal requirements for you to be able to chat; these include:
  1. Having at least +7 (positive) Reputation– This is required for members, so that bots and bad/spam posters can not ruin the chat for other members…
  2. java.gif
    Having Java
    – Java is an important software for your computer to have, to run this chat and also for many other things on the Internet. Java is perfectly safe and can not damage your computer… Download Java
    • [Alternative] Have an IRC Program - IRC Programs such as mIRC, XChat and Chatzilla can access TheHelper server and enter into any chat channel with the correct IRC info location:
      irc://irc.thehelper.net:6667/thehelper​
  3. Not being banned and/or punished from the chat or the site – If your bad on the forums how can we trust you on an IRC Chat?

Registering and Logging In

Registering and Logging In is when most users hit trouble with the chat; and discourages many not to use it. YOU MUST – be Registered on the Chat Server (as well a member of TheHelper.net Forums) and Logged in or we will be unable to see your messages that you post in the chat. If you have any problems with this; Please contact (by double clicking their names to open a private chat, unlike public chat room. Private chatrooms do not need to be registered or logged in) an Operator or Half Operator that can try to fix the problem…

These steps are also posted in the “Getting Started” under the chat page.

Registering

Step 1
When registering, wait till your screen is completely loaded and you are connected to the chat (or this will not work.)

Step 2
Now that you’re completely connected, wait 30 seconds, then type this in to the sever, the “Status” channel is recommended.

/msg NickServ register www.thehelper.net [Your Username]

If you get a message that says "you need to wait", do so.

Logging In

After Registering; you must log in and for all times after that, you will have to identify yourself with chat username and your forum password…

/msg NickServ identify yoursecretpassword

You should receive a message from the NickServ saying:

-NickServ- Password accepted - you are now recognized.​

Note: Logging In is required for you to receive any automatic User Ranks (Operator, Help/Half Operator, Voice, etc.)

Operators and User Ranks

Op.png
Operator – Operators, Represented by +o, are the administrators and leaders of the Chat. Channel operators or "ops" have absolute power over the channels, including the right to decide who gets to come in, who must leave, who may talk, etc.

HalfOp.png
Half Operator – Half Operators (also known as, Help Operators), Represented by +h, are the Moderators of the chat, Half Ops can do many actions to users, such as; giving them +v “Voice”, Banning Users, and Kicking Users…

Voice.png
Voice – Voice, Represented by +v, is a moderating tool used to give members certain Benefits (Such as talking without logging in, and being able to talk with a changed username) Voice can only be given by a Operator or Half Operator.

Banned – Banned Users, Represented by +b, are members who are muted and unable to talk in the channel. You can only be banned by Operators or Half Operators…

See the other Flags or User Ranks, by typing /HELPOP OFLAGS

Basic Commands
  • /JOIN #Channel's Name
    Changes your current channel to the channel specified.

• /NICK [New Username]
    This allows you to change your nickname/username in the chat room; Although you need Voice or Higher to be able to talk with this new nickname, this is useful to changing your name to Mizuio_Ken_AFK, etc.

• /ME [Message]
    This command allows you to post an action message in the chat; which will show up a purple (In the normal browser). Telling everyone what your doing.

• /LIST
    List is a basic command that brings up the Channel's page to find locations, and find how many users are where... (although you could click the "Channel Button" at the top to get it)

• /WHOIS [username]
    Shows information about the user, which is specified.

• /AWAY [Away Message Here]
    Leave a message explaining that you are not currently available and/or paying attention to IRC.

• /MSG [username] (message)
    This command allows you to start a private chat, with the user you specified.

• /QUERY [username] (message)
    Similar to the /msg, except it forces a window or your own private chat to pop open

• /ping [Username]
    What this command does is give you the ping time, or lag time, between you and the person you pinged. Lag can be explained as the amount of time it takes for you to type your message and for others to read your messages. Unfortunately, lag is always a part of IRC, although most times it's not a problem, just a nuisance.

• /ignore [Username]
    Sometimes other users can be completely annoying to you; or you just don't want to talk to them. By typing this you will no longer receive messages from this user.
    • To Un-Ignore; Type the command again...

To see other commands type /HELPOP USERCMDS
To see Operator Commands type /HELPOP OPERCMDS

Channels
Channels are the different locations where you can chat and other members in, to see all the channels, you can go to the top of your chat screen, and press the channels button (
Channels.png
) or type in /LIST

This will make a screen pop up as a private channel that looks much like this;
Channels2.png

To join a Channel
Ether click a Channel on the Menu, or type /Join #Channel-Name

Channel Modes

The behavior for each channel is governed by many "modes", each denoted by a single character such as "v" which can be turned on or off using "+v" and "-v" respectively. Modes are usually only are able to be changed by Operators and/or Half Operators, though Operator, Half Operator, and Voice are all Channel Modes, they refer to the users (So I put them in a different section, See Above)
  • Moderated channel (m) “Quiet Time”
    Moderated Channel is a mode that allows only Operators and Half Operators to chat. Others users can only listen and will get "cannot send to channel" errors if they try to talk. The exception is if you are given a voice (+v).
  • Registered Only (r)
    This is the mode that allows only registered users to chat and join the Channel..
  • Invitation Only (i)
    Setting a channel to invite only will only all

To see all the Channel Modes, by typing /HELPOP CHMODES

Other Topics

Common Logging in Errors

As said above in Logging In; After Registering, you must log in and for all times after that, you will have to identify yourself with chat username and your forum password. Many of you have reported that you have done this, and you are still not recognized. Tiny errors in your typing or script can make changes in what your typing in and what the Nickserv receives.

Common Typing Errors
  • Spaces; in passwords making too many spaces before or after your password can make a difference in what the Nick Serv receives. So check how many Spaces you have before your password, and if you have any afterwards.
  • Brackets; Just because there in the instructions, doesn’t mean you put them there…
  • Re-Registering; Many times you may have made a mistake in registering the first time, or problems may accur with Operators name changes. If you can not log in, and you have tried all other common fixes, it is ether suggested to Re-Register or go to Advance Problem Solving

Other IRC Programs
If you dislike using the Java applet (The chat screen that is directly on the site); you can easily use another IRC Program, any of them will work (mIRC, ChatZilla, xchat, etc.). Just type in this for the IRC Protocol:

irc://irc.thehelper.net:6667/thehelper

You still must register as your forum name to be able to chat in any Public Channels for our Chat IRC.

StatBot
Statbot is a bot that is an Operator in every channel on TheHelper Chat Server, that record and does anti-flood checks to all channels. (If you post 10 messages or more in a row without anyone posting between you. Statbot will remove you from the channel) Statbot is controlled by Acehart for maintenance purposes, but after that Statbot is fully automatic and does not talk and does not have any commands like Battle.net Bots…

Ignoring and Un-ignoring Users
Sometimes other users can be completely annoying to you; or you just don't want to talk to them. Ignoring User is a temporary way to solve the problem. By typing this you will no longer receive messages from this user…

Ignoring a User

/ignore [Username]
This message can be typed in any channel, and it will still have an effect. With this command you will no longer receive any messages from this user…

Un-Ignore a User

/unignore [Username]
(no capitals) This message must be posted in Status or a Private Channel; or it will not work and you will remain ignored to a user...

If you are still ignoring a user with this command (and you typed it in a private channel); Try rejoining.

Bold and Underline

To do Bold and Underline text, when typing you must do

For Bold
Ctrl+B (Text) Ctrl+B

For Underline
Ctrl+U (Text) Ctrl+U

Ghost Command

Sometimes the chat server, or nick server has an error, with this, you are most likely disconnected from the network. When you reconnect, you will probably get a message that your nick is already in use. This is because the server still thinks your client is connected.

The fastest way to fix this is to use a Ghost Command;

/msg nickserv help ghost

This will get the server to kill the old connection instantly.

Color Commands

Color codes can only be done in the chat by certain IRC programs (example: mIRC). These Color codes will show up in mostly every IRC program and in the Java applet; but be warn, that Color Codes from outside programs can be blocked for a certain user or the entire channel by an Operator.

Other Troubleshooting and Problem Solving

If you have any problems, go to TheHelper Chat Thread or Bug and Features Forum.

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Why isn't this stickied yet? :p

It's a great tutorial. Really useful for members who are new to the chat.

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score
Registering

Step 1
When registering, wait till your screen is completely loaded and you are connected to the chat (or this will not work.)

Step 2
Now that you’re completely connected, wait 30 seconds, then type this in to the sever, the “Status” channel is recommended but doesn't matter.

See bold.

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
Fixed most of my Stupid Typos :p (Fixed the ones that were posted up :rolleyes:)

Added KC's little edit - and I am editing the word document now

Edit - Word.doc updated

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
Isn't the syntax for the ghost command /msg nickserv GHOST nickname [password]?

Indeed, :p
But this is the suggested way from Ace, because it also gives instructions

Fixed, I doubled checked it when I edited, so it should be fine now :p

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
This is no longer active so locking for historical purposes now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Varine Varine:
    How can you tell the difference between real traffic and indexing or AI generation bots?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.