.VBS

X

xSOULSTRIPPERx

I run a virus check that updates itself daily, so I'm not overly concerned about this - or maybe I should be. I ran a search on my harddrives for *.vbs files, and came up with quite a few. Several were in thewindows\options\cabs\tour\overview\content\data folder. these were called sm1.vbs - sm6.vbs

the next batch were in the windows\samples\wsh folder. and they were called chart.vbs, excel.vbs, network.vbs, registry.vbs, shortcut.vbs, and showvar.vbs

the next scripts were in the cuteftp pro\scripts folder, and they are : sample.vbs, VB Script default.vbs, and VB Script sample 1.vbs

There are a few other that do kind of worry me, and I want to delete them, but not before I know what the heck they are.

mc[1].vbs, found in the windows\temporary internet files\content.ie5\s10zglcb folder

gthrlog.vbs, found in the program files\common files\system\mosearch\bin folder

and the largest file here by far at 233kb, sssadmin.vbs also found in the program files\common files\system\mosearch\bin folder

I have heard before that it is best to disable vbs scripting in the system defaults just to be safe. Is this true? I sure would feel safer doing this, especially after the nasty virus I had awhile back that turned all of my mp3s and jpegs into .vbs files ( along with deleting the napster.exe - I couldn't find any documentation on this virus, but I swear it happened!)

Anyhow, anyone have any info on any of these?

xSOULSTRIPPERx

X

Xoncide

uh wrong forum bud, and vbscripts are not bad at all, i right/use them daily

X

xSOULSTRIPPERx

SOrry 'bout that. which forum should I use? Helper? That one seems full of D2 issues....

M

MightyKing

I'm sure someone can help you here, but TheHelper.net is for all problems for computers in any area. Mainly full of D2 problems because that's where most of the problems are
wink.gif

Y

Yakbak

You say yourself, your AV prog updates and scans daily. If it's a decent one that releases new virus definitions frequently, and scans multiple file types (Norton, McAfee, etc), you shouldn't worry about these .VBS files. Some are part of Windows, or used by Windows and other software. Run a full system scan, making sure you scan through .VBS files. If u get are clean, don't worry about those files.

.VBS files received in email and IRC/ICQ, you should be cautious.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.