Whats the Dota banlist?

New_U.S.

ITS OVER 9000!
Reaction score
this sorta a noob question but what is the dota banlist? what relavence does it have to anything?

risen_jihad

Reaction score
In a nutshell, it puts negative tags to players that play dota and play poorly. But not poorly as in playing bad, more like flaming, using cheap tactics, being afk, the kinds of things that would harm the game atmosphere. It usualy deals with leavers, in an attempt to make games fair and even. It is somewhat successful, but not very.

Tonks

Reaction score
It is somewhat successful, but not very.

It does more harm than good.
You forgot to mention that it also tags the disconnected players, the players that really can not stay, the players that win against 10-year-old hosts, and the players that use tactics that the host deems 'unfair' on a whim.
I.e, it's complete bullshit. :rolleyes:

ReVolver

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
The only reason I use it, is to check how far they are by pinging.

I don't like playing with people who are way too far from me. (Unless they have a good connection)

L

LilSniper

But not poorly as in playing bad, more like flaming, using cheap tactics, being afk, the kinds of things that would harm the game atmosphere.
I don't play DotA, but what is considered a "cheap tactic." That term is quite subjective.

Tonks

Reaction score
I don't play DotA, but what is considered a "cheap tactic." That term is quite subjective.

Commonly referring to tactics that tend to beat the host.
I.e, tactics that can't be beaten if you're an idiot, or if you simply don't spot them quick enough.

[DotA Reference Book; Term 34 said:
]Cheap: (Noun); A term used for describing anything that the host (or his friends) may decide is unfair. This commonly includes things like "backdooring" (see Term 26), and is completely under the host's choice. This term may also cover any tactic that a player uses to beat the host.

Found this neat guide online, it defines all the stupid dota terms in a demeaning sense. I copied it to a word file, and it's a good thing I did 'cause the site went down.

risen_jihad

Reaction score
banlists are not completely bad. I've used it a few times to weed out ppl that have extremely high pings. SOMETIMES it can be used for good, but the only time I would ever ban someone if they leave during countdown or within first 5 minutes and don't give any real reason. If someone has a legitimate reason, I personally don't ban.

Zimm

Reaction score
Um..
Tonks do you have that dota thing completely on your hard drive?

And could you post it?

G

g1real

I prefer banlist to use, altough it gives me alot of errors.

I mostly have a rule phrase so ppl know how to act..

Flaming = mark (not auto-kicked)
Leaving = Ban (Randomly removed) (Auto-kicked)
Bitching against me = Ban
Fucking a game = olmost always perm-ban (Randomly removed every year XD)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.