Win 2K connection problems

G

Hello,

A friend and I are having problems connecting and I was wondering if anyone else has had similar problems.

I have a DSL connection and a router and I'm running Windows 98 SE (ports forwarded to my computer and all - this configuration has worked since DII came out). When I host a TCP/IP game, others can connect to me. Furthermore, my friend can connect from his old computer thru dialup (so we know that it is not his dialup account).

Now, my friend's new computer is running Windows 2K Pro. He has this and his old computer networked via a crossover cable. He also has a modem in this machine and dials out. He can connect and surf fine, but when he tries to connect to my TCP/IP game, he comes in, I can see him, and then he drops "due to timeout". When he tries to host a game, I cannot find his server.

Now this gets weirder...

We tried to connect via battle.net today. He can connect up to games on there fine. We tried a password-protected game that I started, and he could not join it. Then, we both were able to join another (public) game. Then HE started a password protected game, and I was unable to join.

Has anyone else had problems like this? Is there some setting or something that he needs to set in Win 2K pro? If anyone has any ideas, please let us know. This is really frustrating...

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Darryl

T

timbo

I used to have this problem. you need to disconnect one of the ip networks. it seems particularly a problem when the private subnet has a gateway set to the wrong machine.

if both machines do not dial out, you will have this problem.

T

timbo

correction, if both machines do not dial out, you can have that problem.

mine was due to misconfigured nat

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.