Weird Coca-Cola apologizes to Alberta family for ‘YOU RETARD’ bottle cap

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Coca-Cola apologized Wednesday to the family of an Alberta woman who was shocked to unscrew a bottle of the company’s vitamin water and find the words ‘YOU RETARD’ printed inside the cap.

Edmonton-based photographer Blake Loates said she and her husband discovered the cap while out for dinner on Tuesday night.

“We were both pretty shocked,” she said.

What makes the situation even more upsetting to Loates is that her younger sister Fiona is living with cerebral palsy and autism and was taught that the “R-word” is completely unacceptable.

“The R-word is just something we don’t say in my family,” said Loates. “My dad is quite upset and is on a rampage.”

Her father, Doug Loates, who lives in Tacoma, Wash. with twin, 11-year-old daughters Fiona and Maddi, stayed up all night writing letters to Coca-Cola, looking for an explanation for the offensive cap.

The word "Retard", if taken out of the offensive slang context, means "late; tardy" in English/French.

Last edited by a moderator:

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
Anyone could have got that bottle!
But well, at least they did apologize to them. Anyway.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
What is their problem? As if I would care what the inside of the cap of my bottle said. Hell, maybe I had dozens of those "you retard" caps and just never noticed.

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
Hmm If it wasn't a crime... then it wouldn't get to court at all?!

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
It goes to court because people are not sure if it was a crime. Its the judges work to decide. Well, I dont know from what country you are from, but over here the courts sometimes rule in favor of the defendant.

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
It goes to court because people are not sure if it was a crime. Its the judges work to decide. Well, I dont know from what country you are from, but over here the courts sometimes rule in favor of the defendant.

That makes more sense. It'll be labeled as "General" then.

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
Re-checking. Yep, I was wrong. It's an honest mistake.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.