News Google Sheets’ new formatting feature has Excel switchers excited

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Google Sheets has one-click tables. I repeat: Google Sheets has one-click tables.

Google has now added a way to create easily formatted tables in Sheets with one click, something Excel has had for years. Now, if you have a block of data that you’d like to quickly turn into its own little island of filters and sorting rules, that’s fully possible (or will be soon, depending on where you are in Google’s rollout queue). Hooray!

As a person who’s maintained a shared budget spreadsheet in Google Sheets for about a decade and who would have loved not to have to create all of my filters and sort piece by piece, I’m excited. And judging by a little cursory searching, I’m not alone — people have been asking for self-contained tables like this for years.

What Google has created here looks a little bit like the AI-generated tables from its I/O developer conference this week but perhaps a little more power user-focused, and you don’t need its Gemini integration. If the new feature has hit your account already, you can try it by selecting a block of data and clicking Format > Convert to table.

Once you’ve done that, Sheets will automatically create filters for each column and add visual separators for your rows, so you don’t have to manually select every other row and turn it gray. The change also comes with automatically formatted column types, filters, and easier drop-down menu creation.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.