Gaming Helldivers 2 boss apologizes for 'horrible' dev comments, says Arrowhead has 'taken action internally to educate our developers'

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Conversations about the recent balance patch turned heated after Helldivers 2 developers responded dismissively to player complaints.

The first Helldivers 2 balance patch went live recently, and it hasn't gone over well with some players. Those embers of discontent were fanned by a few members of the Helldivers team: A moderator on the game's Discord server, for instance, said "watching u all cry, amuses me so much," while another said on Reddit that complaints about weapon nerfs were perhaps in reality a question of "skill issue."

In response to complaints these comments, including one developer's self-confessed "trolling," Arrowhead Games CEO Johan Pilestedt, the de facto public face of the studio, has taken to Reddit to tell the community that "this is not a message that the studio stands behind" and that steps are being taken to ensure it doesn't happen again.

To my reading, it comes off as developers trying to have a little fun with the community—just a bit of good-natured ribbing and trash-talking. But a vocal corner of the Helldivers 2 community, Reddit, didn't take it that way, and it led to a blowup on the Helldivers subreddit as players accused Arrowhead of, for instance, "gaslighting and demeaning the playerbase."

Some of the replies from developers did go a little far. "I'm feeding the rage a little for my own entertainment here, just so you know," one wrote, seemingly acknowledging—and dismissing—the upset amongst the community. He then went on to say the balance patch "made two of the most brainless playstyles less viable," which, no surprise here, also didn't go over screamingly well.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.