Gaming Manor Lords reminds me of Dwarf Fortress, in the best way

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
I should have been enjoying the beach. I was on vacation, far from my gaming PC, and close to soothing, rolling waves. But instead, my mind kept drifting to a landlocked chunk of 14th century Germany. Few games have wormed their way into my brain like Manor Lords.

The medieval “city builder with battles,” as the developer Slavic Magic describes it, is intricate and challenging, with lots of moving pieces and interdependencies. It’s also, at times, immensely frustrating. There’s a satisfaction to that, like a multi-step puzzle box — you suss out countless tiny solutions until they all build up to the satisfying click that finally opens the lid.

But I think what’s gotten to me most about Manor Lords is not the complexity, the attention to detail, or even that satisfaction you get from planning out a city and watching it thrive. I think it’s Greg.

Manor Lords is a passion project. Greg Styczeń, who goes by Slavic Magic, has been working on its design for seven years. And there’s something funny about the entire dev team behind a successful game consisting of just this one dude named Greg.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.