Sci/Tech New High-Tech Farm Equipment Is a Nightmare for Farmers

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
I squatted down in the dirt and took stock of my inadequate tools. Over my left shoulder a massive John Deere tractor loomed. I came here to fix that tractor. So far, things weren’t going as planned.

I’m a computer programmer by training, and a repairman by trade. Ten years ago, I started iFixit, an online, DIY community that teaches people to repair what they own. Repair is what I do, and that I was being rebuffed by a tractor was incredibly frustrating.

I tossed my wrenches and screwdrivers. The conventional tools of my trade had no power here. This job called for something different. Armed with wire, alligator clips, a handful of connectors, and a CANbus reader, I launched myself back into the cab of the tractor. Once more into the breach, dear friends!

The family farmer who owns this tractor is a friend of mine. He just wanted a better way to fix a minor hydraulic sensor. Every time the sensor blew, the onboard computer would shut the tractor down. It takes a technician at least two days to order the part, get out to the farm, and swap out the sensor. So for two days, Dave’s tractor lies fallow. And so do his fields.

Dave asked me if there was some way to bypass a bum sensor while waiting for the repairman to show up. But fixing Dave’s sensor problem required fiddling around in the tractor’s highly proprietary computer system—the tractor’s engine control unit (tECU): the brains behind the agricultural beast.

One hour later, I hopped back out of the cab of the tractor. Defeated. I was unable to breach the wall of proprietary defenses that protected the tECU like a fortress. I couldn’t even connect to the computer. Because John Deere says I can’t.

Last edited by a moderator:

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT.
Complicated electronics are complicated! OH MY GOD! Who would have thought?!?!

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Should the secondary market of maintenance be allowed to repair complicated electronics, void the warranty, let the consumers risk damaging the component, and let the consumers worry and decide about how they should pay the price?

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
I would imagine the warranty is long since voided.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.