Sci/Tech Nissan Mind-reading car could drive you round the bend

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
car-reads-driver-mind-nis-007.jpg

Nissan collaborates with Swiss scientists to develop interface between man and machine, saying it will help road safety.

One of the world's largest motor manufacturers is working with scientists based in Switzerland to design a car that can read its driver's mind and predict his or her next move.

The collaboration, between Nissan and the École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL), is intended to balance the necessities of road safety with demands for personal transport.

Scientists at the EPFL have already developed brain-machine interface (BMI) systems that allow wheelchair users to manoeuvre their chairs by thought transference. Their next step will be finding a way to incorporate that technology into the way motorists interact with their cars.

Last edited:

Wummi

Just Relax and Smile!
Reaction score
So, say what happens if a thought about myself playing Need for Speed Hot Pursuit and making a left turn pops up in mind while I'm supposed to be driving straight? Boom?!

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
I've been working a little bit with Brain-Computer Interfaces, and they are extremely hard to make work like that. I didn't really read the article, but I'm guessing more likely it will read things like panic (like someone stops short, you're running off the road, etc) and apply the brakes or something rather than actually direct the vehicle. A situation like you just listed would be extremely unsafe and inadvisable on a road.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
If I was drunk the car would pick a fight with the first emo hipster I come across.

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
I guess this never happened. Maybe Elon will see this and do something with Neurolink and Tesla LOL - no really!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.