32-bit vs 64-bit

WayTooShort

Reaction score
I'm building a new computer to run newest games at least moderately and I need to decide whether I take 32-bit or 64-bit windows 7.

I already know some of the pros and cons of both systems. 32-bit can't have more than 3gb RAM, 64-bit doesn't have this problem but some programs don't work on it or have weird bugs and it generally just isn't as stable as 32-bit.

Which one you prefer? Is the 3gb RAM limit worse than the cons of 64-bit?

Perfect solution would be some way to have atleast 4gb RAM with 32-bit, but I don't believe that is possible.

64 bit is absolutely fine if you get Windows 7 64 bit. I recommend it, as long as your processor supports 64 bit.

Wait... I got 4 gb ram and 32-bit. IT'S A CONSPIRACY!

Anyway, 64-bit is better, though some programs does not have a version for it.

Perfect solution would be some way to have atleast 4gb RAM with 32-bit, but I don't believe that is possible.

it is impossible to use the last 1gb as ram (32 bit = 2^32 is the max amount of ram that can be allocated, as that is how big the address is), but you can use it as a ramdrive (virtual hard drive) that would be ridiculously fast.. not too many applications outside of a Photoshop scratch disk for only 1gb tho

what programs are you worried won't work on x64? x64 has a built-in compatibility mode for non-64 programs that works with just about everything

@ azareus - yes you can have that much ram in the computer, only the last chunk of it simply won't be useable as ram

I run on Windows 7 64 bit and I have found no problems with program compatability.

it is impossible to use the last 1gb as ram (32 bit = 2^32 is the max amount of ram that can be allocated, as that is how big the address is), but you can use it as a ramdrive (virtual hard drive) that would be ridiculously fast.. not too many applications outside of a Photoshop scratch disk for only 1gb tho

what programs are you worried won't work on x64? x64 has a built-in compatibility mode for non-64 programs that works with just about everything

@ azareus - yes you can have that much ram in the computer, only the last chunk of it simply won't be useable as ram

Don't start making up numbers when it comes to 32 bit max memory supported. 1GB is assuming he has a 1GB video card. You can use 4GB total with 32 bit, including your graphics card memory. So if your graphics card uses 512MB of memory you can use up to 3.5GB regular RAM.

Don't start making up numbers when it comes to 32 bit max memory supported. 1GB is assuming he has a 1GB video card. You can use 4GB total with 32 bit, including your graphics card memory. So if your graphics card uses 512MB of memory you can use up to 3.5GB regular RAM.

Video card RAM doesn't affect motherboard RAM. So no, if you have 512mb of video card RAM and 4 GB of motherboard RAM, you will have 4gb of usuable RAM for the OS.

Video card RAM doesn't affect motherboard RAM. So no, if you have 512mb of video card RAM and 4 GB of motherboard RAM, you will have 4gb of usuable RAM for the OS.

no, codemonkey is right - they do use the same, it was my bad for assuming 1gb for the graphics card, but regardless, you will use some amount of ram for graphics (and 1gb is pretty common these days, especially if you want something to run the newer games moderately), which you will then have to subtract to get your available system ram

no, codemonkey is right - they do use the same, it was my bad for assuming 1gb for the graphics card, but regardless, you will use some amount of ram for graphics (and 1gb is pretty common these days, especially if you want something to run the newer games moderately), which you will then have to subtract to get your available system ram

And where are you getting this info? I think you're confusing it with when integrated chips use system RAM as videoRAM.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    News portal has been retired. Main page of site goes to Headline News forum now
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am working on getting access to the old news portal under a different URL for those that would rather use that for news before we get a different news view.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Easily done
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    https://www.thehelper.net/pages/news/ is a link to the old news portal - i will integrate it into the interface somewhere when i figure it out
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Need to try something
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Hopefully this won't cause problems.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Hmm
  • Ghan Ghan:
    I have converted the Headline News forum to an Article type forum. It will now show the top 20 threads with more detail of each thread.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    See how we like that.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do not see a way to go past the 1st page of posts on the forum though
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is OK though for the main page to open up on the forum in the view it was before. As long as the portal has its own URL so it can be viewed that way I do want to try it as a regular forum view for a while
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Yeah I'm not sure what the deal is with the pagination.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    It SHOULD be there so I think it might just be an artifact of having an older style.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    I switched it to a "Standard" article forum. This will show the thread list like normal, but the threads themselves will have the first post set up above the rest of the "comments"
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I don't really get that article forum but I think it is because I have never really seen it used on a multi post thread
  • Ghan Ghan:
    RpNation makes more use of it right now as an example: https://www.rpnation.com/news/
  • The Helper The Helper:
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What do you think Tom?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    I will have to get used to this.
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    The latest news feed looks good
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I would like to see it again like Ghan had it the first time with pagination though - without the pagination that view will not work but with pagination it just might...
  • The Helper The Helper:
    This drink recipe I have had more than a few times back in the day! Mind Eraser https://www.thehelper.net/threads/cocktail-mind-eraser.194720/

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.