Bridge entrance problem

Drakens

Reaction score
Hi. Long time since my last post (about June or so)
I'm making a City with water all around, and a bridge comes out of the water when your unit comes near the city entrance.
The problem: when you order your unit to move inside the town, instead he moves to the nearest point outside the city (because the bridge is underwater). I want to know if i can order my unit to move to the bridge first, and from there to the target point.

(the bridge works well: It sinks only when there are no friendly units over it)

(I made this image: i hope it helps a bit ;))

Attachments

• Bridge.jpg
    Bridge.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 187

Ghan

Administrator - Servers are fun
Staff member
Reaction score
That probably means that the pathing isn't working. In other words, your bridge doesn't work. You need to pay extra-special care that ground pathing is unbroken across the bridge when it is raised.

Demonwrath

Happy[ExtremelyOverCommercializ ed]HolidaysEveryon
Reaction score
First of all, are you sure units can go over the bridge? In most cases, the terrain is too high, and the units can't walk on it :D

EDIT: DAMN IT!!! GHAN GOT TO IT FIRST XD

Drakens

Reaction score
As I said, the bridge works as I want: It is submerged, so anyone can cross it, but if you come near it, it appears over the water and you can cross it.
Of course, when it's underwater the path is blocked...

I guess if there's any way to order a unit to move first to the bridge (so it comes out of the water), and then to the point where you right-clicked...

Ghan

Staff member
Reaction score
So, units can actually cross the river but don't? Weird.

I don't know that you could order a unit to move to a bridge.... If you created an invisible dummy on the bridge, you could order the units to move to the position of the dummy....

Drakens

Reaction score
Ok... :(
The bridge is like a DOOR: it is "closed", but if my unit comes near it it "opens". So if i click directly inside the town the bridge/door is closed, and the path is blocked. Got it? ;)

Ghan

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok. So. Here's a thought:

Create a region that contains all the area on the opposite side of the bridge.
Use a trigger that fires when a unit is issued an order targeting a point.
If the region contains the point, raise the bridge, then re-issue the order so the unit will "see" the bridge.

Would that work?

Demonwrath

Happy[ExtremelyOverCommercializ ed]HolidaysEveryon
Reaction score
Ghan I can think of an add-on to your idea...

When the unit is ordered to enter the town (which should be one big region) they instead (with triggers) move to the area that units enter to get the bridge to rise. Then from they they move to the point in the town (which would be in a point variable :D)

Drakens

Reaction score
that will probably work. I'll try both ideas :D (when i get home (I'm using a friend's computer so I don't have my map here...))

Thanks!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.