Build Trigger not working

Ragnar Rök

Reaction score
Hi!
My builder has a spellbook with a "channel" based spell (different base order id). When he cast it he gets a new ability based on "Build Tiny Farm" with the proper building in it. (He never has two Build tiny abilitys at the same time.)

When he then casts the "build Tiny farm" a dummy unit is placed to setup the a variable for the buildpoint. (Confirmed to work)

This works for the building "Hovel"...

Trigger 1:
Code:
    If - Conditions
        (Ability being cast) Equal to Construct Hovel
    Then - Actions
        Unit - Order U_Builder[(Player number of (Owner of (Triggering unit)))] to build a Construct Hovel at Build_Point[(Player number of (Owner of (Triggering unit)))]

While this do not...

Trigger2:
Code:
    If - Conditions
        (Substring((Name of (Ability being cast)), 1, 9)) Equal to Construct
    Then - Actions
        Unit - Order U_Builder[(Player number of (Owner of (Triggering unit)))] to build a (Unit-type((Name of (Ability being cast)))) at Build_Point[(Player number of (Owner of (Triggering unit)))]
    Else - Actions

Shouldn't Trigger 2 work equal to the first? (This would not require a lot of "if then else" and Im planning on having a lot of buildings.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
the bold, underlined part:
Code:
Unit - Order U_Builder[(Player number of (Owner of (Triggering unit)))] to build a [B][U](Unit-type((Name of (Ability being cast))))[/U][/B] at Build_Point[(Player number of (Owner of (Triggering unit)))]
doesnt work as you thought it would.

because orders to build buildings are not equivalent to the names of these.

For example, you got a custom farm but the order to built it aint MyCustomFarm but "custom_h001" or something like this. and therefor the name of your ability doesnt have to be MyCustomFarm but "custom_h001".

how to find these names out? its "custom_" + the raw code of your unit. you can display the raw codes of all objects in the object editor by pressing Ctrl + D (as far as i remember)

Ragnar Rök

Reaction score
I have tried using its raw-data name now but that doesn't work either.
(I would also have to make a list for all building raw-data names and set a variable?)

Code:
Constructing
    Events
        Unit - A unit Finishes casting an ability
    Conditions
        (Ability being cast) Equal to Construct Hovel (Construct)
    Actions
        Unit - Order U_Builder[(Player number of (Owner of (Triggering unit)))] to build a (Unit-type(Custom_h002:hhou)) at Build_Point[(Player number of (Owner of (Triggering unit)))]

The function (Name of unit) says: This returns the internal name of a unit, not the proper name of units or heroes. It returns: "Construct Hovel" not h002:hhou. Which is why I didn't try the raw data before. But maybe Internal name isn't the same as raw data?
Code:
Events
        Player - Player 1 (Red) Presses the Up Arrow key
    Conditions
    Actions
        Quest - Display to (All players) the Quest Update message: (Name of (Random unit from (Units currently selected by Player 1 (Red))))

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
have a look at the attached demo map, maybe it will be easier for you to understand.

I made a copy of the farm in the demo map, its raw code is h000.

when i use the channel ability of my worker (build farm) he is ordered to build "custom_h000" (the raw code of my building) and it works perfectly well.
i've set the effect sound path for the channel ability to be "custom_h000" and changed the trigger to order the worker to build the structure whichs unit-type is equal to the sound path (custom_h000) and it works.

this should be what you want.

Attachments

• [Z]BuildOrderTakesString.w3x
    16.4 KB · Views: 138

Ragnar Rök

Reaction score
Very nice! Thank you.

It took a while though figuring out how to enter a custom soundpath.:)
It is done by shift-clicking "Sound - Effect sound" if anyone else reads this.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
you dont need the sound path, you can use the name as well but the sound path was for me a more suitable solution.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.