Everything to Variables...

Cloud_FF

Reaction score
I have encountered a very unpleasant error on a very complex map. The problem is that the map crashes. From what I have read and from what I have been advised I should change all "Points" to variable points. The problem is that I don't know which of the following trigger types can cause such crashes. I'll make a list and I will really appreciate it if someone with good experience points, which are the possible faulty triggers and how to solve the problem.

1.1. Unit Enters Rect; Matches some conditions (unit type/owned by/something is alive/something is dead); Is issued an order targeting a point.

1.2. Unit Enters Rect; Matches some conditions (unit type/owned by/something is alive/something is dead); If/Then/Else (something is alive; send to centre of rect/send to centre of rect); If/Then/Else (something is alive; send to centre of rect/send to centre of rect); If/… [this If/Then/Else can repeat amny times].

2. Unit Dies; Matches some conditions (unit type/owned by); Roll a number between X and Y; If/Then/Else (random number=x; make Item at point; do nothing). NOTE: These triggers use variables: DiePos (point) [the point where the unit which might drop dies], RandomInteger (integer) [used to roll between X and Y].

3. Ability is cast; Matches some conditions (being cast/finished casting); Make unit damage units/Kill unit and make units at position of unit/Set upgrade level of upgrade to X.

4.1. Time Periodic; No conditions; Pick every unit and make some unit damage picked unit.

4.2 Time Periodic; Matches some conditions (unit is alive); Make unit at centre of rect.

5. Unit acquires an item; Matches some conditions (hero manipulating item equal to some item); Any/Or conditions (item being manipulated equal to some item); Remove (item of type(s) from triggering unit); Create some item for hero. [this is a generic recipe trigger].

6. Dialog Button Clicked; Matches some conditions (equal to button [1-8]); Make a spell trainer at position of unit; Make a hero at position of unit.

7. Testing triggers: Player chats a command; No Conditions; Add XP/Set upgrade level to/Add gold and lumber/reset CDs, HP and MP; Move Unit(s) to point; Move items to point; Kill unit(s); Force Win/Loose scenario cinematic.

There are 246 triggers in the map and all are made with these listed bases. There are 6 spawn locations and 150 regions of which around 130-140 are regions, which help the NPCs navigate trough roads, which make turns [and no I don't want to put barriers around it because I want the heroes to be able to cross roads and for units to be able to leave them].

I am willing to change each and every trigger so I can fix the errors. Perhaps I have missed some triggers but I'll point them out later if I have.

Thank you.

Larcenist

REP: Respect, Envy, Prosperity?
Reaction score
have you read about memory leaks? The most common ones are:

* Center of (location)

*Position of (unit)

These should be stored in point variables and then be destroyed using the custom script "call RemoveLocation (udg_PointVariable)

*Pick every units matching....

Unit groups leak. Should be stored inside a unit group variable and destroyed using the custom script "call DestroyGroup (udg_UnitGroupVariable).

*Create region centered at (location)...

Rects leak if created new ones, set these into a region variable and destroy them using "call RemoveRect (udg_RegionVariable)".

Special effects that isn't destroyed leak, can be fixed by adding "Special Effect - Destroy (last creades special effect)" after creating it.

I suggest you searth for a memory leak removal tutorial or something for further information.

Cloud_FF

Reaction score
Ye I have heard of memory leaks. I know that this is the problem but i didn't know how big the problem was...thiss will take a while to fix.

I wonder though, why have Blizzard made something which is unstable in-game?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.