Gears of War!! Big Project.!

W

WhoIsJG

Sigh....

Are we or are we not picking a standard increased model scale for the player models?

You CANNOT make a map to scale if you dont know what scale to make it at and like I have said increasing player models to a scale value of 4 will make for a better game.

Gonna need an answer to this before I even think about starting any maps worldofdeath.

G

Gravedigger

I've started Mausoleum, attached is the basic layout for the map, you can open it and walk around, it's very incomplete, the full size is 96 x 96 I think, this looks like a good scale for the map and units, so I'd recommend the same scale for any maps you make. if you make a map, make it any scale you want, then send it to me and I'll put all the other stuff on it to make it playable. If you use a different scale for the terrain, units will have to be a different scale on your maps. Note that the attached Mausoleum map is protected because I'm posting it up here for anyone to download, and it's setup so you can see it in game.

W

WhoIsJG

Do me a favor. Go into the WC3 and zoom all the way in on a unit.

First, notice how the unit doesnt fill enough of the screen to make it feel like Gears.

Second notice how out of scale the ground texture is once your zoomed in, its too big and fuzzy. Player models need to be 4x bigger to fill more of the screen and make it so a clump of grass isnt as big as the unit.

I dont know how many different ways to say this.

Player models need to have a scale value of 4. This means that your Mausoleum map wont work because it will be way too small.

G

Gravedigger

Do me a favor. Go into the WC3 and zoom all the way in on a unit.

1.First, notice how the unit doesnt fill enough of the screen to make it feel like Gears.

2.Second notice how out of scale the ground texture is once your zoomed in, its too big and fuzzy. Player models need to be 4x bigger to fill more of the screen and make it so a clump of grass isnt as big as the unit.

I dont know how many different ways to say this.

3.Player models need to have a scale value of 4. This means that your Mausoleum map wont work because it will be way too small.

1. He did when I tried it
2. No, it's the perfect scale, assuming the map was created for the map to be in third person
3. If you make the units 4 times to big then they fill up almost all the screen and look like giants. Also, everything looks terrible when they're that big, this doesn't fix anything, I have tried it. Try the Mausoleum map, everything looks proportional so far.

W

WhoIsJG

The map cant be played since it requires an opponent and there is only one player slot, and you have it protected so it cant be views in the editor.

G

Gravedigger

The map cant be played since it requires an opponent and there is only one player slot, and you have it protected so it cant be views in the editor.

The latest warcraft patch makes it so that testing in world editor doesn't work anyways. So go into warcraft, select singleplayer, custom game, select the map and look around, in singleplayer. You can't host this on battle.net

xxyourdeadxx

Reaction score
1. He did when I tried it
2. No, it's the perfect scale, assuming the map was created for the map to be in third person
3. If you make the units 4 times to big then they fill up almost all the screen and look like giants. Also, everything looks terrible when they're that big, this doesn't fix anything, I have tried it. Try the Mausoleum map, everything looks proportional so far.

I don't think he wants it to be 3rd person =P I don't get the point of this REALLY big project, if you can just go play gears of war. And the map should be around the *small* size, to my perspective at least, and then you could make the point of view of the person smaller, like I've seen a game where this guy could make crossheirs making everything else black. But if you're going to do something like this, you shouldn't just copy, you should enhance or modify so people would want to play this and not just the plain Gears on xb360

xxyourdeadxx

Reaction score
Whats the point of GoW if its not multiplayer? o_O unless the single player one is just a prototype, it should be multi. =p

G

Gravedigger

I don't think he wants it to be 3rd person =P I don't get the point of this REALLY big project, if you can just go play gears of war. And the map should be around the *small* size, to my perspective at least, and then you could make the point of view of the person smaller, like I've seen a game where this guy could make crossheirs making everything else black. But if you're going to do something like this, you shouldn't just copy, you should enhance or modify so people would want to play this and not just the plain Gears on xb360

This is going to be enhanced Gears of War, some maps aren't in Gears of War, Gears of War maps will not be different too. Many modes not in Gears of War will be in this one. For example CTF and Deathmatch will be added, cool orginial modes will be added. Many maps will also support more then 8 players. Also free for all will be enabled on some modes. Most important to most people, it will be free and won't require a 360 to play.

Whats the point of GoW if its not multiplayer? o_O unless the single player one is just a prototype, it should be multi. =p

The singleplayer is not the game, it's just an incomplete version of the map you can walk around and look at. The full game will be multiplayer.

worldofDeath

Reaction score
This is going to be enhanced Gears of War, some maps aren't in Gears of War, Gears of War maps will not be different too. Many modes not in Gears of War will be in this one. For example CTF and Deathmatch will be added, cool orginial modes will be added. Many maps will also support more then 8 players. Also free for all will be enabled on some modes. Most important to most people, it will be free and won't require a 360 to play

The singleplayer is not the game, it's just an incomplete version of the map you can walk around and look at. The full game will be multiplayer.
Nicly Siad

Its just a little test.

Ya why is that? And Who just make it in a 96. We can resolve that later. Mabey next version.( the looks of terrian that is)

Problems with test:
1.Very good job
2. Make cam go out just a little so you see his head and his soulders. The rotation left, and right needs to be a little faster.(when you go into that mode, its really slow) If its possible can you make it where when he goes up a level the cam bumps up more. Notherless very good your manger 2.

I have some one for the loading screen. This weekend i should have some one on the models. And i should have my map done hopefully. The spells i may do myself, and get in all the guns and stuff. Thanks guys. And nice job.

Thinking about what he siad. Making the guy bigger would be cooler. Increase the size of the peon to about 3 and show that. But change the cam angle to get more to his torso. That may work.

G

Gravedigger

Nicly Siad

Its just a little test.

Ya why is that? And Who just make it in a 96. We can resolve that later. Mabey next version.( the looks of terrian that is)

Problems with test:
1.Very good job
2. Make cam go out just a little so you see his head and his soulders. The rotation left, and right needs to be a little faster.(when you go into that mode, its really slow) If its possible can you make it where when he goes up a level the cam bumps up more. Notherless very good your manger 2.

I have some one for the loading screen. This weekend i should have some one on the models. And i should have my map done hopefully. The spells i may do myself, and get in all the guns and stuff. Thanks guys. And nice job.

Thinking about what he siad. Making the guy bigger would be cooler. Increase the size of the peon to about 3 and show that. But change the cam angle to get more to his torso. That may work.

For the models, I was thinking, the best way to make it look good ingame would probably be to have each model have a separte animation for attacking with each gun. When that gun is detected in the inventory, it's animation would be used (I know how to do this with triggers). Also, the camera does need to be adjusted, and it will move up when he goes up. I'm also going to change it so it still follows him when he goes over a bridge. Also don't worry about spells, there is no spells, I've figured out a good way to allow sprinting and everything, all I need is models with animations for them.

G

Gravedigger

What about curb stomp?

I forgot about that, but all that you have to do is give a unit the animation, then give him a fake ability called "curb stomp" whenever he gets near an enemy who is downed. If he uses the ability, you kill the nearby downed unit, remove the ability, and play his curb stomp animation.

W

WhoIsJG

Escalation Progress:

Gridded to help show increases in elevation
l_1cdb9d5946bebea59410405cbb56565a.jpg

Pathing on to show ramps and different lvls
l_ec96f1bebf6cc3faf57188e295b8121a.jpg

l_9b5bf81fabd8793b4ba91f3d4fff1386.jpg

Rifleman with a scale value of 3 gives this map the perfect feel (most like Gears).

This is just the terrain with a few trees and shrubs tossed in where I knew they should be from memory.

worldofDeath

Reaction score
Looks good guys twilights working on loading screen and im looking for a modeler still and im working on my map.

W

WhoIsJG

Are there any maps that havent already been assigned to someone?

worldofDeath

Reaction score
Think Clock Tower hasnt been done yet.

Heres my map, best i could do kinda sucks. But i cant make the brigdes go all the way since they woudnt be able to go under them. It dosnt look just like it i sharnk it a bit. I tryed my best but im not good at terran.

Im going to get the guns and gun sounds. Amo and all that, are we going to incoparte aim system?

Attachments

• Gears of war map.w3x
    31.8 KB · Views: 231
G

Gravedigger

Think Clock Tower hasnt been done yet.

Heres my map, best i could do kinda sucks. But i cant make the brigdes go all the way since they woudnt be able to go under them. It dosnt look just like it i sharnk it a bit. I tryed my best but im not good at terran.

Im going to get the guns and gun sounds. Amo and all that, are we going to incoparte aim system?

yes, I've figured out a system for aiming and firing or blind firing without aiming. Using different guns will affect accuracy. I downloaded your map, I'll see what it looks like as soon as I get a chance. (WhoisJG) Escalation looks good so far, we may use different scales for the models depending on the map, we'll have to wait to see what they look like first though. Also, so far no one is making Clock Tower, Mansion, or Rooftops, or you could make other maps too.

G

Gravedigger

I worked on your Canals a little bit (attached) I added the bridges, and decorated it a little bit. Here's the full list of the maps we could make, and who's making them:
Mausoleum:me
Canals:worldofDeath and then me
Escalation:WhoisJG
Clocktower: WhoisJG
Mansion: WhoisJG
War Machine:me
Gridlock:me
Raven Down:me
Rooftops: (open, worldofDeath?)
Tyro Station:me
Fuel Depot:me
Hang em' High (from the original Halo, would be great for Gears): (open)
Poco (from Shadowrun) : (open)
Panama (completely new map) :me
Blood Gulch (I thought of an awesome idea of how this would work in Gears) :me
(un named new map, thought of what the map is though) :me

Send completed maps, models, etc. to me, I will then make them playable and send then back to whoever made the map. They will then make any little changes they want (like if they think a unit is too big or to small), then send iit back to me. I will put the finishing touches on the map and release it to the beta testers, they test it, any needed changes are made, then example map A is posted on this site and many others.

worldofDeath

Reaction score
I worked on your Canals a little bit (attached) I added the bridges, and decorated it a little bit. Here's the full list of the maps we could make, and who's making them:
Mausoleum:me
Canals:worldofDeath and then me
Escalation:WhoisJG
Clocktower: (open, WhoisJG?)
Mansion: (open, WhoisJG?)
War Machine:me
Gridlock:me
Raven Down:me
Rooftops: (open, worldofDeath?)
Tyro Station:me
Fuel Depot:me
Hang em' High (from the original Halo, would be great for Gears): (open)
Poco (from Shadowrun) : (open)
Panama (completely new map) :me
Blood Gulch (I thought of an awesome idea of how this would work in Gears) :me
(un named new map, thought of what the map is though) :me

Send completed maps, models, etc. to me, I will then make them playable and send then back to whoever made the map. They will then make any little changes they want (like if they think a unit is too big or to small), then send iit back to me. I will put the finishing touches on the map and release it to the beta testers, they test it, any needed changes are made, then example map A is posted on this site and many others.

I dint want the briges in there becuse they couldnt go under them but if you think thats okay then we can leave it.

Wow lol nice job i dint think you could make them do that. Nicely done. Dam i wish i was better at terrian nice job. Once where done with mostly everything send map to me and ill add loading screen. At the moment it says By: Team GoW. Inside the game it should have credits of all of us. Make it easyer. So the names dont fill up all over the screen. At the moment im working on the guns for the game. Then if theres time i will start on map if i can. You think will have room for like costom made maps of ares? To add i think thatd be cool. Also make sure you put in a trigger where you can pick the arena. Make it where they can flip though it and says the name of the arena and shows a little bit of it.

Loading Screen:

Should i add something? or does it look good?

Also once we got all the maps done i was going to incorparte a system in which will block bulltes from serten areas. Like a creat or a rock. Just like in elimintion tourny.

General chit-chat
Help Users

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.