Germans learn about Holocaust through magazines; Right or Wrong?

stubs101

Reaction score
I know we have that whole Al Queda debate about conspiracies going on, but I wanted to share this...

Germans learn history same as everybody else, except everybody else learns about the Holocaust. I agree that, being a German, it might be drab learning about your ancestor brutally murdering Jews, but learning about the terrible things that went on during this terrible time through a comic? I mean the kind with round faces and smiles everywhere? With punchlines???:confused: I personally think this is wrong, but I would like to know how many people agree, or disagree with me. Also those that daren't voice for either side...

Please post comments.
approved by Rheias

Last edited by a moderator:

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
So germans don't learn their own history?

To me, that is wrong. History is what it is, and it's done, and there's no changing it.

I have a similar experience. In the USA, I was taught that the US acquired Mexico's Territories (California, Nevada, Arizona, New Mexio, Texas, etc.) because Mexico had a debt with USA, and with the territory, they were paying it.
I moved to Mexico for about a year, and went to school there. They taught us that the US wanted more land, mainly in texas, and they faught. Then the US caught Santa Ana (Mexican General and President?) and he signed a paper giving them the territory.

This might be done to increase patriotism, or to make it seem like their country is perfect, or atleast, good.

stubs101

Reaction score
lol, they do learn their own history, but through comic life.

I hate to ask this, but which is right? U.S.? I mean it's only logical, but anyway, I agree, past is past, and you've got to know it, for what it was. If you were Adolf, would you change it? That's all that matters. If you would, you should be able to face the Holocaust fearlessly, and learn about it through textbooks, like everybody else.

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
I hate to ask this, but which is right? U.S.? I mean it's only logical, ...

Are you saying the US is always right? If you are, man are you incorrect. Many problems in the World are caused by the United States "We are the Law Makers of the world" attitude.

stubs101

Reaction score
nonononononono.

I disagree with the US in many points, I'm just saying that, "Mexico paid off their debt with us in land.":) is more logical than, "They captured our president and made him give them land to release him.":nuts::( Anyway, that's off topic, what do you think about the whole Germans learning about the Holocaust through comics?

esb

Reaction score
Well, back on topic, it's wrong.

They may be mis-informed, since comics are often biased (to make fun of one side).

stubs101

Reaction score
You've got a point. Considering Germans wrote it, It's more :( than :eek: lol. And it's short too, because, well when have you ever found a comic more than 20-30 pages long? Then add the fact that these are pictures, not words, just pictures with little lines in boxes separated from each other into five boxes a page. I personally, even if German (Although I guess I can't say I'm totally unbiased because I'm Russian) I would still prefer education + shameful > uneducated + shameless.

esb

Reaction score
Yes, the comic doesn't make it look too bad.
Another thing they might use comics instead of history lessons is because they are tired of hearing "Your ancestors were jew-killing-nazis!". They should just use facts, maybe give info on why many germans accepted. (Germany was recovering from WWI, and was in a 3billion debt, causing high inflation, and everyone being poor. Hitler promises a better life, and future, and is elected. Since most Factory owners and rich people were Jewish, Hitler says they are evil. Like it happened in Russia before it turned to the USSR)

I don't think it has to do with shame. I'm mexican, and my ancestors probably believed in gods, and sacrificed people, something most people think is wrong today.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
Well, most nations don't make their history look as bad as it is. Especially before secondary school. Having gone to primary school in Ukraine and Russia and secondary school in the US, I'm not entirely sure about the differences. I know that the US did some bad things, although considerably less than other nations; although we also rectified a lot of other things.
I know in Russia we learned about the former Soviet Union, and although it may have just been my teacher, I really didn't even know it was disbanded until I was 13 or so. We never learned about Stalin's little slave things either, although I guess being that young it would be wise not to have learned about them then.

Sorry for going off topic in a little history about me....

About the thing... since they are in tenth grade, they shouldn't be using comics. And since the small children shouldn't be learning about it until they're around 12 or 13, the use of the comics aren't that good of an idea.
I can't believe that girl called the Holocaust dry, though. Does Germany not go very in depth on the topic? When I learned about in 11th Grade, we spent like six weeks just talking about Germany despite it being a US History class, and spend several weeks talking about it in a European History class as well.

stubs101

Reaction score
Yes, the comic doesn't make it look too bad.
Another thing they might use comics instead of history lessons is because they are tired of hearing "Your ancestors were jew-killing-nazis!". They should just use facts, maybe give info on why many germans accepted. (Germany was recovering from WWI, and was in a 3billion debt, causing high inflation, and everyone being poor. Hitler promises a better life, and future, and is elected. Since most Factory owners and rich people were Jewish, Hitler says they are evil. Like it happened in Russia before it turned to the USSR)

I don't think it has to do with shame. I'm mexican, and my ancestors probably believed in gods, and sacrificed people, something most people think is wrong today.

The thing is that comics are not very good educational material:eek:, even if they are made to because, they are short, with like five fragments of sentence to a page...

>>Sorry about going off topic<<
Sincerely, it was to prove a point, and it's fine if you go back on it lol.

Ninva

Анна Ахматова
Reaction score
All historical documents are written by someone, and can be controlled. The history we knew before could be different from the reality in the past because if you haven't noticed history does change.

New_U.S.

ITS OVER 9000!
Reaction score
The U.S. rounded up all Japanese citizens during WWII and put them in camps. This wasn't like the concenration camps in Germany, but the affects of these camps created Japenesse racism for years.

How many people in the U.S. know about this? Very few. Countries teach what they want. Nothing new. I guess Germany just wanted a more fun way of learning about a not so fun event. What are you going to say? Look what your grandparents and great grandparents did! They slaughtered 6 million people because they were told that Jews were destroying their country!

stubs101

Reaction score
All historical documents are written by someone, and can be controlled. The history we knew before could be different from the reality in the past because if you haven't noticed history does change.

What does that have to do with learning through comics?

And New U.S., so you think it's okay?
I have thought about that point of view, but I still agree with my previous post, about how if you could say what Hitler did was wrong, you shouldn't take shame in learning about it. Learning through comics may filter some of the horrific experiences that went on in the German concentration camps, but you wouldn't know as much. You wouldn't know how we won the war, or about battles, but just about the concentration camps, because after all, the guy said it was about a grandmother teaching her kids how she survived the camps. That's It! Not what battles went on, or what military geniuses (genii?) helped turn the tides of the war, and what went on politically in places here or there!

New_U.S.

ITS OVER 9000!
Reaction score
You wouldn't know how we won the war, or about battles, but just about the concentration camps, because after all, the guy said it was about a grandmother teaching her kids how she survived the camps. That's It! Not what battles went on, or what military geniuses (genii?) helped turn the tides of the war, and what went on politically in places here or there!
These comics are just for teaching about the Halocaust. WWII miliarily and socially can be taught in a different way. To be honest their WWII society classes are going to be the best and most neutral to all. For example, in most American schools, the Confederate states are not usually taught in a negative manner. My school stayed neutral on the matter. In Germany, they are not going to talk bad about their ancestors. You will probably learn about the poor conditions brought by western nations after WWI and the high promises by Hitler. Its a, "we know we screwed up, but this is why we did it" sort of thing.

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
They have a Holocaust museum in the Museum District here in Houston. I drove by it the other day when I was taking my kids to the Museum of Natural Science.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
The U.S. rounded up all Japanese citizens during WWII and put them in camps. This wasn't like the concenration camps in Germany, but the affects of these camps created Japenesse racism for years.

How many people in the U.S. know about this? Very few. Countries teach what they want. Nothing new. I guess Germany just wanted a more fun way of learning about a not so fun event. What are you going to say? Look what your grandparents and great grandparents did! They slaughtered 6 million people because they were told that Jews were destroying their country!

Everyone knows about that. You might have not until recently, but your ignorance doesn't constitute for the rest of us. Would it be best if we learned about the Japanese Internment and the Imperialist Age through comics?

stubs101

Reaction score
These comics are just for teaching about the Halocaust. WWII miliarily and socially can be taught in a different way. To be honest their WWII society classes are going to be the best and most neutral to all. For example, in most American schools, the Confederate states are not usually taught in a negative manner. My school stayed neutral on the matter. In Germany, they are not going to talk bad about their ancestors. You will probably learn about the poor conditions brought by western nations after WWI and the high promises by Hitler. Its a, "we know we screwed up, but this is why we did it" sort of thing.

Exactly! They are going to be more lenient on the bad stuff. They are going to teach about aftermath, and the camps only in comics. The comics are for everything. They aren't going to use comics for camps, but then saw, "Yes, in only etc. amount of time, Hitler pushed his forces to Moscow." And everyone bearing in mind the fact that he did this to exterminate the Jews. They will learn about almost everything about WWII through comics, then use textbooks for aftermath, before, politics, Germany's standings throught the world, The Berlin Wall, and how they were destroyed and broken apart into segments for watch keeping from different countries so that they wouldn't try to take over the world. And imagine you're Jewish. You see Germans going, "Yeah, we screwed up bad, so we're just gonna learn about the horrible prosecutions we put you through through :)ly comics." And what would you think? A Jewish man was repulsed, and claimed they should take responsibility for this, not fully, but atleast have the balls to read about it without any padding. If I were German, I would cringe at reading that my ancestors did this, but I would not look for other sources for this information in the form of comics! If this went on, then I was the only person who read from textbook, then I would be the most educated German about the Holocaust. Not something to brag about, but still incredible.

esb

Reaction score
On a second thought, I think I would be insulted if they tried to teach me through a comic. I would think they don't think I'm capable enough to learn from a regular text book.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
    +1
  • Varine Varine:
    Crazy how much 3d printing has come in the last few years. Sad that it's not as easily modifiable though
  • Varine Varine:
    I bought an Ender 3 during the pandemic and tinkered with it all the time. Just bought a Sovol, not as easy. I'm trying to make it use a different nozzle because I have a fuck ton of Volcanos, and they use what is basically a modified volcano that is just a smidge longer, and almost every part on this thing needs to be redone to make it work
  • Varine Varine:
    Luckily I have a 3d printer for that, I guess. But it's ridiculous. The regular volcanos are 21mm, these Sovol versions are about 23.5mm
  • Varine Varine:
    So, 2.5mm longer. But the thing that measures the bed is about 1.5mm above the nozzle, so if I swap it with a volcano then I'm 1mm behind it. So cool, new bracket to swap that, but THEN the fan shroud to direct air at the part is ALSO going to be .5mm to low, and so I need to redo that, but by doing that it is a little bit off where it should be blowing and it's throwing it at the heating block instead of the part, and fuck man
  • Varine Varine:
    I didn't realize they designed this entire thing to NOT be modded. I would have just got a fucking Bambu if I knew that, the whole point was I could fuck with this. And no one else makes shit for Sovol so I have to go through them, and they have... interesting pricing models. So I have a new extruder altogether that I'm taking apart and going to just design a whole new one to use my nozzles. Dumb design.
  • Varine Varine:
    Can't just buy a new heatblock, you need to get a whole hotend - so block, heater cartridge, thermistor, heatbreak, and nozzle. And they put this fucking paste in there so I can't take the thermistor or cartridge out with any ease, that's 30 dollars. Or you can get the whole extrudor with the direct driver AND that heatblock for like 50, but you still can't get any of it to come apart
  • Varine Varine:
    Partsbuilt has individual parts I found but they're expensive. I think I can get bits swapped around and make this work with generic shit though
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Heard Houston got hit pretty bad by storms last night. Hope all is well with TH.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Power back on finally - all is good here no damage
    +2
  • V-SNES V-SNES:
    Happy Friday!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New recipe is another summer dessert Berry and Peach Cheesecake - https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-berry-and-peach-cheesecake.194169/

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.