Germans learn about Holocaust through magazines; Right or Wrong?

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
If you saw the video, you would be shown the comic. The most violent thing in that comic, is two guys in gas masks pouring mixed chemicals down a chimney like thing into these gas chambers...

I like the idea of the options, but if they were like us, competing against Japan, I don't like the idea of an option. Say if the teacher said we're onto WWII, now let me see a show of hands. How many people want to learn about this through comic life and how many through textbook? I'm fine without the choice. If I was given the option, apart from always choosing textbook, I'd be insulted, appalled by the nerve of my school! We have more and more Japanese genii and over here, we're proud of only the past. Go ahead ten, twenty, even thirty years, and Einstein and Hubble will still be important, not modern day scientists. At Japan, they're getting more legends every year. And to further more increase how far we are behind, we're being offered to learn about things that we did wrong through comics featuring no more education than a 10 year olds textbook.

Maybe the US should learn about the Atomic Bombs through comics, and Japan can learn about the POW camp chain things they had US soldiers on. That way, no one did things that were terrible!

Aqua Dragon

I'm made of water. Remember that now.
Reaction score
Or better yet, we should be able to learn about how the U.S. drove thousands upon thousands of natives out of their homeland just to go and take their land, with them having to endure death and pain on the way. Or better yet, about how Texans murdered millions of buffalo and put them near extinction just so that the natives would run out of food. And how the government event encouraged it! OR the whole "U.S. had miilions of slaves" thing. Yup. :rolleyes:

Btw, that message was just DROOLING with sarcasm. Thats the stuff we learn out of textbooks.

I Do not like the idea of the comics. They completely make history more vague and for what? Just so you won't have to learn about that stuff the natural way and learn what your ancestors did. Learning your history may help prevent the same mistake from happening again, or let you understand how your ancestors did. Pretending your past generations were perfect isn't always a good thing. I can say that alot of people are disgusted after reading about whats been done in the past, but the past is done. People get over this stuff very quickly and just move on through life with the knowledge of their history as well.

Okay, my rant and position on this is done :p

stubs101

Reaction score
Maybe the US should learn about the Atomic Bombs through comics, and Japan can learn about the POW camp chain things they had US soldiers on. That way, no one did things that were terrible!

See! That's what I'm basing this whole thing off of! If all of Germany decided to do it, it's idea would spread, and pretty soon, a say German would meet an American and the American would say, "What atomic bomb? Hiroshima? I don't believe a word of it. But shame on you, why the hell would you try to exterminate Jews!" The knowledge in the comics would deduce every time it was remade, and then more ideas would be learned through comics because they are "fun" and then the world becomes like Idiocracy the movie!

Varine

Reaction score
See! That's what I'm basing this whole thing off of! If all of Germany decided to do it, it's idea would spread, and pretty soon, a say German would meet an American and the American would say, "What atomic bomb? Hiroshima? I don't believe a word of it. But shame on you, why the hell would you try to exterminate Jews!" The knowledge in the comics would deduce every time it was remade, and then more ideas would be learned through comics because they are "fun" and then the world becomes like Idiocracy the movie!

Off topic a little, but I had a friend that went to those stupid Waldorf private schools, and he said he'd not heard of the Holocaust until he was in high school. And he didn't believe it for a long time.

The use of comics won't spread because most people are smart enough to realize that all they will do is, on top of promoting the use of picture books for education over traditional books, make the generations even more fucked up.
I don't know about other countries, but... this generation of high schoolers in America is pretty sad.

stubs101

Reaction score
The use of comics won't spread because most people are smart enough to realize that all they will do is, on top of promoting the use of picture books for education over traditional books, make the generations even more fucked up.

Lets hope so...

ReVolver

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
So germans don't learn their own history?

To me, that is wrong. History is what it is, and it's done, and there's no changing it.

I have a similar experience. In the USA, I was taught that the US acquired Mexico's Territories (California, Nevada, Arizona, New Mexio, Texas, etc.) because Mexico had a debt with USA, and with the territory, they were paying it.
I moved to Mexico for about a year, and went to school there. They taught us that the US wanted more land, mainly in texas, and they faught. Then the US caught Santa Ana (Mexican General and President?) and he signed a paper giving them the territory.

This might be done to increase patriotism, or to make it seem like their country is perfect, or atleast, good.

Mexico didn't have a debt caused by USA they just had a National debt from declaring independence from Spain and the Revolution wars with France, ect. They where in debt before we had a conflict with Texas (USA).

I love how ignorant people are in Mexico, Texas was the only place we fought over with, "The Alamo" was a historic event where Santa Ana lost the battle, Texas declared independence, so did California, ect. Later, they sold the rest of the land (Arizona, New Mexico, ect) to USA and then they became part of the USA.

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
Actually... Santa Ana won the battle at The Alamo. Later the americans captured Santa Ana, and Santa Ana signed over most of the territories, and eventually slowly lost the rest.

If anything, I would said USA is lying. Giving about half of today's US for a debt? Right.

Varine

Reaction score
If anything, I would said USA is lying. Giving about half of today's US for a debt? Right.

Not even close to half.

The war was fought because Texas seceded from Mexico and the US annexed it because we wanted it. Mexico didn't recognize the secession and viewed Texas as a rebel province. Mexican forces attacked US forces north of the Rio Grande, which we considered ours. Then Polk got the declaration of war and we told California to announce secession as soon as we did. How did this get to the Mexican-American War anyway?

ReVolver

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Actually... Santa Ana won the battle at The Alamo. Later the americans captured Santa Ana, and Santa Ana signed over most of the territories, and eventually slowly lost the rest.

The battle of The Alamo started and ended at the same spot ;)

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
But the fighters were all different (Alamo's side) but anyway... Germans... Alamo... Off topic?

I'm not good in history :(

Varine

Reaction score
But the fighters were all different (Alamo's side) but anyway... Germans... Alamo... Off topic?

I'm not good in history :(

The Germans are a very clean people. They make weapons for the US military. They were the cause of World War I and World War II. They teach their children about the bad things their ancestors did through comic books. The German children are not very historically informed, either.

Varine

Reaction score
But they made Jagerbombs!

Yes they did, and you can drink to your hearts desire at age 16. BUT those drunk 16 year olds will not know how their drink came to be because they will be busy studying in comic books, which by age 5 you are led to not believe them. Except Superman. You can be 12 before you stop believing those ones.

stubs101

Reaction score
I'm not trying to rekindle the subject or anything but I would appreciate going out on this note: The Holocaust was horrible. In fact, it's horror is beyond words. But you must ask your self... How many years will go by with children learning things shameful to them through comics before they'll say yeah that wasn't cool anyways how do you like the fizzy tablets? What we see as the Holocaust today is only probably as half bad as what it was. We cannot imagine pain. Despite what we think we can... we can't. We cannot imagine pain for other people either. So how can you understand the suffering of millions of people. The starvation, loss, sickness, fear that came as simple, ordinary everyday things for them. When it was over people that were in concentration camps were so happy they probably cried. More than that. How many of us are happy it's over. Now how many are so happy that they cry themselves to sleep at night? Maybe... Just maybe we can keep this feeling of dread from the Holocaust from becoming weaker... so it doesn't happen again, and we can prevent it if it starts preemptively, but I guarantee that learning about it or your country's shame from comic books is not the way to go. We might even forget about it entirely. How many history lessons are taught with comic books. Soon you'll be worrying about your girlfriend and being MVP on your football team that you might just sleep through the class because it's not important being taught through a comic book. People may not remember every detail in history and one taught in such a disrespectful manner will be the first thing to wash away. The Holocaust will be one of those things that happened long ago like something in B.C. to us. Can we allow that to happen?!

BTW: I find it ironic that the publisher of said comic was The Anne Frank Centre

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.