Help with abilities... please

Nethrezim

Reaction score
Ok so I just registered, hi everyone and get ready to read some :p
I am making a new 1v1 map where you choose a hero, level him, buy items, etc etc, sort of DotA but 1vs1.
I created a hero named Katar Powerlinger, he is a Brutish Warrior and is using STR-INT. He is based on Grom Hellscream (Possessed) but I want to change all his abilities.
All abilities except the fourth have 4 levels.

The first ability is Prayer of Warriors which gives him bonus damage and armor. I used the roar buff to create the ability.

The second ability is Brutish Slash which deals an amount of damage on the target and I used the Death Coil ability as base. I removed the range and blah blah so it's like a melee attack.

Now the third ability is causing me problems. It's called Bear's Vigor and it's supposed to be passive and it should give you extra hit points.
-As base I tried to use IDon'tKnowWho's Amulet's ability to give extra 300 HP. I modified it and made it a hero ability, I made it have 4 levels, etc, but when I learn it the icon does not appear in the hero menu where you cast abilities or where you order Stop or Attack,etc.
-I tried to use the Avatar ability aswell. But no use because I can't get rid of the "growth" effect or the Avatar time bar replacing the hero Experience bar...

And finaly the fourth ability is called Brutish Raw Power. This is simmilar to Prayer of Warriors but I want it to give extra strength, lots of it. I tried to base the ability on something called Item Hero Stat Bonus (Strength+6) but I get the same issue with the Bear's Vigor power based on IDon'tKnowWho's Amulet's ability (no icon in the hero menu).

Please help me with the second and third abilities, thanks in advance!

PS: No I don't know JASS, but if that's the solution then I'll find some time and learn it...

MoonSlinger

I Love using Cheap Tricks... only Results matters
Reaction score
From what I know, some Item Abilities do not create icons for the hero.

I am not sure whats the best method, but I would just make a "dummy ability".
When the hero learns the "dummy ability" set the level of "item ability" equals to that of the dummy ability.

Simply put, you pair the abilities you have with another ability (with no effects or buffs), so that your hero can use it to show an icon and information, using triggers to set both abilities to the same level.

Magazette2

Reaction score
make a trigger where when the unit learns the ability, he leanrs another ability thats a unit one. Make it off a passive one, change icon and tooltips and make it do nothing. Also known as a dummy ability

Ivach

Reaction score
Or for an easier way, you could just trigger it based on the a unit learns a skill event, checking if the ability is Bear's Vigor or whether it has the Bear's Vigor buff. Then just set learning hero's property (max life) to its max life + (your value).

Siretu

Starcraft 2 Editor Moderator
Reaction score
Im pretty sure you can make the spell have an icon anyways. Otherwise for the strength skill, why dont you use a modified attribute bonus?

Nethrezim

Reaction score
Or for an easier way, you could just trigger it based on the a unit learns a skill event, checking if the ability is Bear's Vigor or whether it has the Bear's Vigor buff. Then just set learning hero's property (max life) to its max life + (your value).
make a trigger where when the unit learns the ability, he leanrs another ability thats a unit one. Make it off a passive one, change icon and tooltips and make it do nothing. Also known as a dummy ability
Ok, thanks, I'll try using these methods and see which is better and faster.

Im pretty sure you can make the spell have an icon anyways. Otherwise for the strength skill, why dont you use a modified attribute bonus?
Good idea... didn't think about it, lol, thanks!

Nethrezim

Reaction score
First off... sorry for double posting.
How do I trigger a check for the level of the skill/ability learned? For example I want it to add 60 HP at level 1, 100 at 2, 130 at 3 and 170 HP at level 4...

Carl-Fredrik

Reaction score
Ok, I was too lazy to read all, but if you had problems with that last ability called "Brutish Raw Power", then I think you should base it on "Attribe Bonus". Just delete the ability and intelligence bonus and change icon for it.
The ability is under Object Editor > Abilities > Neutral Hostile > Heroes...
It worked for me in another map so if the item ability bugs then use attribe bonus :)

// Carl-Fredrik

BornANoob[MR]

Reaction score
First off... sorry for double posting.
How do I trigger a check for the level of the skill/ability learned? For example I want it to add 60 HP at level 1, 100 at 2, 130 at 3 and 170 HP at level 4...

Maybe something like this:

Code:
Test
    Events
        Unit - A unit owned by Player 1 (Red) Learns a skill
    Conditions
        ((Learned Hero Skill) Equal to YourSkill) and ((Level of YourSkill for (Triggering unit)) Equal to 1)
    Actions
<Whatever you want to do here>

Nethrezim

Reaction score
Ok, I was too lazy to read all, but if you had problems with that last ability called "Brutish Raw Power", then I think you should base it on "Attribe Bonus". Just delete the ability and intelligence bonus and change icon for it.
The ability is under Object Editor > Abilities > Neutral Hostile > Heroes...
It worked for me in another map so if the item ability bugs then use attribe bonus

// Carl-Fredrik
Yeah Siretu already posted that, thanks anyway.

@bornanoob - Hmmm, I didn't see that condition... silly me, thanks a lot!

EDIT: I can't find the Level of condition...

Nethrezim

Reaction score
Thank you... again

EDIT: Now the only problem left is making the action add +60 HP. I can only set this action up:
Unit - Set life of Katar Powerlinger 0004 <gen> to (Max life of Katar Powerlinger 0004 <gen>)
I can't add +60 at the end....

Builder Bob

Live free or don't
Reaction score
You can use the function Arithmetic in place of (Max life of Katar Powerlinger 0004 <gen>) to add two values together. You can also use Triggering unit instead of Katar Powerlinger 0004 <gen>, since he is the unit triggering the event.

Like this

Code:
Unit - Set life of (Triggering unit) to ((Life of (Triggering unit)) + 60.00)

Nethrezim

Reaction score
Thanks, but it doesn't work. Anything I try doesn't work. I can't increase his maximum life... :mad:

Builder Bob

Live free or don't
Reaction score
You're right. What I said only affects the unit's current health, not max. My bad.

Maybe try basing an ability on Item Life Bonus, and give it 3 levels with the respective life gains.

Then you can use a trigger like this

Code:
Events
        Unit - A unit owned by Player 1 (Red) Learns a skill
    Conditions
        ((Learned Hero Skill) Equal to YourSkill) and ((Level of YourSkill for (Triggering unit)) Equal to 1)
    Actions
    Unit - Add Item Life Bonus (Greater) to (Triggering unit)
    Unit - Set level of Item Life Bonus (Greater) for (Triggering unit) to 1

I don't work with heroes at all, so maybe it have to be modified a bit.

Hope you figure it out

Nethrezim

Reaction score
IT WORKS!
Thank you, thank you all! :D
Lol, who would have thought increasing a hero's life is so difficult...

Thanks again!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
    +1
  • Varine Varine:
    Crazy how much 3d printing has come in the last few years. Sad that it's not as easily modifiable though
  • Varine Varine:
    I bought an Ender 3 during the pandemic and tinkered with it all the time. Just bought a Sovol, not as easy. I'm trying to make it use a different nozzle because I have a fuck ton of Volcanos, and they use what is basically a modified volcano that is just a smidge longer, and almost every part on this thing needs to be redone to make it work
  • Varine Varine:
    Luckily I have a 3d printer for that, I guess. But it's ridiculous. The regular volcanos are 21mm, these Sovol versions are about 23.5mm
  • Varine Varine:
    So, 2.5mm longer. But the thing that measures the bed is about 1.5mm above the nozzle, so if I swap it with a volcano then I'm 1mm behind it. So cool, new bracket to swap that, but THEN the fan shroud to direct air at the part is ALSO going to be .5mm to low, and so I need to redo that, but by doing that it is a little bit off where it should be blowing and it's throwing it at the heating block instead of the part, and fuck man
  • Varine Varine:
    I didn't realize they designed this entire thing to NOT be modded. I would have just got a fucking Bambu if I knew that, the whole point was I could fuck with this. And no one else makes shit for Sovol so I have to go through them, and they have... interesting pricing models. So I have a new extruder altogether that I'm taking apart and going to just design a whole new one to use my nozzles. Dumb design.
  • Varine Varine:
    Can't just buy a new heatblock, you need to get a whole hotend - so block, heater cartridge, thermistor, heatbreak, and nozzle. And they put this fucking paste in there so I can't take the thermistor or cartridge out with any ease, that's 30 dollars. Or you can get the whole extrudor with the direct driver AND that heatblock for like 50, but you still can't get any of it to come apart
  • Varine Varine:
    Partsbuilt has individual parts I found but they're expensive. I think I can get bits swapped around and make this work with generic shit though
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Heard Houston got hit pretty bad by storms last night. Hope all is well with TH.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Power back on finally - all is good here no damage
    +2
  • V-SNES V-SNES:
    Happy Friday!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New recipe is another summer dessert Berry and Peach Cheesecake - https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-berry-and-peach-cheesecake.194169/

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.