How to determine the version of my map?

wewso

Reaction score
Hi guys, Ive been searching for an answer to this question the whole mourning but I cant find anithing, so now I had to make Thread. How to determine the version of my map? I mean, is there a system in which you say which is your map version. When is it Beta when Alpha. How do I know if it is 0.23 or 1.00 or 2.45 or like in dota Allstars.

Ill be very greatful if you help me.:shades:

Drunken_God

Hopes to get back into Mapmaking with SC2 :)
Reaction score
the mapmaker says when the map is finished and which version it is

Cidzero

Imma firin mah lazer!!!1!1
Reaction score
You say w/e version you want it to be. We can't really help you with that, its up to you.

EX: My map v 1.0.0
I updated it
My Map v 1.0.1

wewso

Reaction score
First the map is Beta. Then it goes alpha 1.00 and with each update I increase the version acording to the changes i made. Thats whats most logical for me but im not sure its right. Anyway thanks for the help:)

UnknowVector

I come from the net ... My format, Vector.
Reaction score
afaik, Alpha testing does not have version numbers, since this testing is preformed alone (most likely from the TestMap button).

Beta testing is usually sub-zero, and done publicly.

As I have heard version 1.00 to 2.00 shows enough changes to be considered a sequel. 1.00 to 1.10 represents significant changes (normally people don't make this jump). 1.00 to 1.01 represents the typical version change (add some heroes, fix some bugs). And 1.00 to 1.00a normally represents a single bug fix (mostly likely for a forgotten bug or one that was created by other changes).

And of course, when most people are done with maps, they tack "Final" on the end of the version number.

Its your call though, you can name it whatever you want :p

MurderMode

Giving new meaning to co-op... slowly
Reaction score
UnknowVector has given a pretty good reply, I'd go with his theory.

And as far as alpha's and beta's go, I'm pretty sure an alpha comes before a beta, basically because it is based on the greek alphabet. I agree that an alpha is an inhouse version, so no numbering is required, and a beta is when you get outside testers involved.

13est

Reaction score
Alternatly you can look at Map description and look how many times a map is saved.

Example: You have saved the map 50 times (pretty easy to get this many and MUCH more) the might could be called 0.50. Only a tip.

But you always determin what version and if it is a beta.

1337Elite

Reaction score
Alpha first, beta second, then comes the Seigo Stage(almost finished, just needs some polishing), and finally: Release candidate. Stages after that: general availability release. Lastly: Legacy(Vintage, "end of life").

If you often release maps, before thorough testing, add either "Stable" or "Unstable"(if it got bugs or crashes) after the name. That's often used in open source coding, never seen it in wc3 though. :)

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I agree with most people here.

I'd make the first public, finished version, 1.00 though.
Betas should be < 1.

ManyTimes

I'm so lonesome I could cry...
Reaction score
As long as the newest version got the highest number, it is all good.
I prefer v.1, v.2, v.3 and so on.
Why? Well, first of all having a version which is not a whole number (integer) looks like an unfinished version.

You can also use letters if the number is getting too big. Either only letters? One letter in front of a number?
A99 > B01 > B99 > C01

Funny thread though, as in pretty pointless.

edit: ignore the first post beneath this one. Why? The editor version is something like 6015, so...

1337Elite

Reaction score
If you update your map frequently, whole numbers won't work in practise(unless you like the sound of "version 325")

konerboy

Run piggy Run!
Reaction score
a version number on the minimap preview and on the map name should be enough..

Reaction score
In my opinion all this 0.90 Beta, 1.00, 2.10 Gold, 6.51 and so on stuff is complete nonsense. It is usually used only by serious and professional programmers and not by amateurs who employ a third party interface to create 'their own' map, which is full of Blizzard's models, sounds etc. Most kiddies try to emulate the pros and are naturally tempted to type "Version 3.50 GOLD +" and such, so that they can look more 'pro' themselves. :)

But since we are stuck with using Blizzard's editor anyway, why not simply use its in built map version feature? It is right under Scenario/Map Description from the main Editor window (besides the version number, it also gives you a rough idea how much work the author put in their map). That number is also quite hard to fake, so it can be used to ascertain whether you are playing the creator's own version or a stolen copy.

Attachments

• ver.JPG
    ver.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 104

Cidzero

Imma firin mah lazer!!!1!1
Reaction score
In my opinion all this 0.90 Beta, 1.00, 2.10 Gold, 6.51 and so on stuff is complete nonsense. It is usually used only by serious and professional programmers and not by amateurs who employ a third party interface to create 'their own' map, which is full of Blizzard's models, sounds etc. Most kiddies try to emulate the pros and are naturally tempted to type "Version 3.50 GOLD +" and such, so that they can look more 'pro' themselves. :)

But since we are stuck with using Blizzard's editor anyway, why not simply use its in built map version feature? It is right under Scenario/Map Description from the main Editor window (besides the version number, it also gives you a rough idea how much work the author put in their map). That number is also quite hard to fake, so it can be used to ascertain whether you are playing the creator's own version or a stolen copy.

If we used that, guess what version most the maps would be.

Mine is currently close to 2000. And well...thats just utter nonesense.
Just because I did close to 2000 changes within 6k saves, doesn't mean they are big enough changes to be counted as a new version.

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
That number is the number of times you save your map. In software development, people generally, people call that "build number" and is often used as part of the version. For instance, Windows XP is 5.1.2600 where 5 is major version, 1 is minor and 2600 is build, or number of times it was compiled.
It's also quite easy to fake actually, all you need is a hex editor. :p
Anyway, this might be a good thing to use for your map's version, but it might get confusing. I'd recommend also using a major and minor version so that people can keep track of what you did. For instance, start with 1.0 (major=1, minor=0) and do this when you release a new version: if the changes you did were minor (small bug fixes, minor balance stuff etc.) then increase the minor version by 1. If the changes were major (lots of new stuff, major features etc.) then increase the major version by 1 and revert minor back to 0.

wewso

Reaction score
I think i got it!

First is Alpha - I dont write it because I am the only one using the alpha.
Second is Beta - Test version - starts from 0.0.0 to 1.0.0
Then it increses from 1.0.0 up to whatever i want.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.