How to make a bridge that one can walk under?

scubazoo

Reaction score
Hi,

How does one make a bridge that one can walk across as well as underneath. I have tried using long natural bridge, however the pathing is such that no units can walk underneath the bridge. I have tried replacing the pathing texture of this bridge to that of an elevator, but than units beneath the bridge will still be unable to walk underneath it, and will instead be sort of teleported up on top of it.

This problem is normal as the pathing cannot refer to more levels... you simply cannot make it so that unit would be able to move on a top level and also on a bottom level... they can walk only on one of them, over the bridge, or underneath it... but there may be a way to trigger something like walking on a bridge... with some slide effects, i don't know. I mean making a bridge with no pathing.. so you can walk underneath it.... and if you walk from the sides... the unit is sort of slided over the bridge...

I don't know for sure.

Hmm. Seems like it might work. But I've seen it done, I think without triggering, on some battle for middle earth maps, a diablo 3 map, and a world of warcraft map.

Edit: I'm not sure how to do sliding, but with sliding wouldnt that mean you lose control of the unit as it is sliding across the bridge, and would be unable to stop in the middle of the bridge?

Could you give me the link of an exact map in which you saw this? I am really interested in this because i once wanted to do the same, and if it is possible (i doubt)... then i want to see how... maybe i will figure it out by seeing a map with this.

There's been loads of threads about this.
Use the search function.

The easiest way I believe anyone's come up with is just making a region on both sides, then transferring the unit from one region to the other when it tries to go underneath.

I've tried searching, and everyone seems to have same problem. Although apparently there is a way to do it with the WEU. Anyone know of this way?

Or, im thinking it might be possible to make a trigger so that a unit is teleported directly underneath the bridge, as the pathing blockers are only on the sides and not underneath the middle of the bridge. Although as soon as they start walking, I have a feeling they will be teleported on top of the bridge.

Where are the admins?????

Did you read my response below the using the search part?
The easiest way I believe anyone's come up with is just making a region on both sides, then transferring the unit from one region to the other when it tries to go underneath.

And why are you asking for admins :p

Yes, I read that. That defeats the purpose though. I would have it so that unit can stop on the bridge; this is much more authentic, and cool, not to mention interesting as well. A unit such as an archer may be on top of the bridge and shoot at units underneath it.

Edit: Would it be possible to make it so there is deep water under the bridge, and make units the ability to float and swim in water. Would they then be able to walk across the bridge, as well as pass underneath it? Im thinking this because the pathing underneath the bridge is such that ground units cannot pass. However, if you replace the ground underneath the bridge with water, wouldnt this remove the pathing of the bridge?

The real problem about bridges is their collision. Whenever you move an unit a path is traced for the unit to follow, bridges always are obstacles in this path unless youre trying to go over them, if a unit were able to walk to a point ignoring ground physics this could be done, however it requieres very advance triggering, the unit should have flying type movement and a lot, a lot of flying path blockers in your map

If i set unit's to flying in just a certain region, the region in which there is a bridge, then theyd be able to walk underneath it? I would set a trigger to remove their flying once they are out of the region. Would it still look as if they're walking as long as i set flight level to ground level?

you can add and remove the crow form ability to a ground unit, then you can set the flying height of it

you will still have issues with collision, however, as well as other things, like melee units below attacking units on the bridge

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    News portal has been retired. Main page of site goes to Headline News forum now
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am working on getting access to the old news portal under a different URL for those that would rather use that for news before we get a different news view.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Easily done
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    https://www.thehelper.net/pages/news/ is a link to the old news portal - i will integrate it into the interface somewhere when i figure it out
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Need to try something
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Hopefully this won't cause problems.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Hmm
  • Ghan Ghan:
    I have converted the Headline News forum to an Article type forum. It will now show the top 20 threads with more detail of each thread.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    See how we like that.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do not see a way to go past the 1st page of posts on the forum though
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is OK though for the main page to open up on the forum in the view it was before. As long as the portal has its own URL so it can be viewed that way I do want to try it as a regular forum view for a while
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Yeah I'm not sure what the deal is with the pagination.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    It SHOULD be there so I think it might just be an artifact of having an older style.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    I switched it to a "Standard" article forum. This will show the thread list like normal, but the threads themselves will have the first post set up above the rest of the "comments"
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I don't really get that article forum but I think it is because I have never really seen it used on a multi post thread
  • Ghan Ghan:
    RpNation makes more use of it right now as an example: https://www.rpnation.com/news/
  • The Helper The Helper:
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What do you think Tom?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    I will have to get used to this.
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    The latest news feed looks good
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I would like to see it again like Ghan had it the first time with pagination though - without the pagination that view will not work but with pagination it just might...
  • The Helper The Helper:
    This drink recipe I have had more than a few times back in the day! Mind Eraser https://www.thehelper.net/threads/cocktail-mind-eraser.194720/

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.