IDE Drive Not Recognized

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
Recently, I moved my IDE drive from one PC to another. Now, the IDE drive does not work. It's not recognized anywhere. I can hear the drive spinning, so I know it's powered. I have the IDE cable plugged in. It's just not showing up anywhere. And when I plugged the HDD back into the old PC, it didn't show up either... Anyone care to shed some light?

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
is it the only thing connected to the IDE ribbon? if so, is the jumper set to "master"?

(some cd/dvd drives are also connected via IDE, in that case I would suggest removing it temporarily and doing the above, and then if it works try adding in the CD/DVD drive as "slave")

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
It is the only thing connected to the IDE ribbon, yes. And yes, it is set to Master. My DVD Burner is connected via SATA.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
well im afraid I don't know then, chances are it is broken if it doesn't work in the PC that you originally had it in anymore.. you didn't try "hot swapping" it by any chance, did you? (as in moving it while the computer was turned on)

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Maybe the boot sectors are messed up. Not sure how you'd go about fixing it.

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
well im afraid I don't know then, chances are it is broken if it doesn't work in the PC that you originally had it in anymore.. you didn't try "hot swapping" it by any chance, did you? (as in moving it while the computer was turned on)

No. I turned off the PC and turned off the PSU before disconnecting. I'm not that stupid -_-'

Either way, I'm going to turn this drive into something else.

I ordered a Western Digital Black Caviar 750GB HDD.

shadowmapper

Reaction score
Being that it's a HD (containing your precious data) I'm going to assume your probably willing to put a little time into seeing if it's salvageable. Why don't you try stripping all device connections (optical drives, hard drives) and set the suspect hard drive to auto-select by pulling the jumper out. Even if it's not bootable, your bios should still recognize the drive. Then you can go forward on the deduction that it's a configuration error. Try the same thing with the jumper set to master (f#*& it, try slave too, stranger things have happened). Alternatively, you might just try pulling the jumpers and sticking it back in your new system on auto-select, if the other devices are SATA.

FYI when you said it's 'not showing up anywhere', I assumed you were including in the system bios, and that this is not just an issue of the drive not being bootable as some people have kind of responded on.

kingkingyyk3

Visitor (Welcome to the Jungle, Baby!)
Reaction score
Hmm, recently WD is not doing well with their drive. Get Samsung SpinPoint F3, cheaper, faster, lower power consuming, cooler and quieter.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.